Chapter I

Wasn't Expecting It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lester B. Pearson International Airport, July 24th 2019

This is it, in an hour or so I'm getting into a plane and my life is going to change completely. I'm so nervous, I can't believe I'm doing this. I hope the Bae family will be great, I hope I can be firends with their older daughter, which is only one year older than me and I'm finally going to have a little sister, oh my god.

"Good afternoon passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight RV145 to Seoul. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time at Gate 5. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes time. Thank you."

I stood up as I was seating when I heard the lady say through the speaker. Before going to board, I went to get some more Tim Hortons, god I'm going to miss it. But it doesn't matter, I'm going to go and have the best experience of my life and I'm going to enjoy it with all of me.

"Hi, could I get one big hot chocolate and a Vanilla Dip donut please?" I asked to the cashier

"Sure, it'll be $4.50."

I payed her and went to the side to wait for my order. I'm honestly going to miss this so much, not only Tim Horton, but also my parents, my house, my friends, everything, but I want to do this so much, so it doesn't really matter how much I miss them. Once I have an idea on my mind, no one can really stop me, so when I knew I wanted to do this, I literally prepared a speech to my parents, but surprisingly I didn't use it.

"Wendy."

"Huh? Oh, yeah sorry. Thank you." 

After grabing my order I went and stood in line to board the plane, I drank some hot chocolate and I checked if I have everything and took out my ticket and my passport. It was finally my turn, I handed over my passport and my ticket, the checked it and I went through the tunel to enter the plane.  The line was quite long, and I had to wait some minutes to enter the plane.

Once I got in and found my seat, grabbed my suitcase and liffted it to put it on the top compartment and went to sit with my backpack on my feet. I took out my AirPods, connected them to my phone and put on my favourite song, Psycho by Red Velvet, I love it, they're queens. After some minutes, a girl sat down next to me and at that same moment, the pilot the seatbelt light, meaning we were going to take off in some minutes. The girl next to me turned and looked at me, please don't talk to me, please don't, I have my AirPods for a reason.

"Hi! I'm Julia, but you can call me Lia, what's your name?"

Damn it

"I'm Wendy."

"Pleasure to meet you."

"Yeah, same."

"Why are you going to Korea? You look Korean."

"I'm going on an exchange."

"Oh, you're going to have such a good time! I just finished my exchange here and I'm going back to Korea."

Now, this, this is what grabbed my attention, thank you for talking to me Lia.

"Really? How was it? Was it scary?"

"Well, it is scary at first, but you stop being scared when you met the family and make some friends. Then you're going to have the best times of your life."

"I hope so, aren't you sad you're leaving tho?"

"Yeah, I am, but I'm not that sad cause I know I'll see everyone again and I'm going back to my family and my friends in Korea, so, that makes up for it."

"And how long were you here?"

"I was here for 4 years"

"Wow, that's a lot"

"Yeah"

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard Flight RV145 with service from Toronto to Seoul. We are currently third in line for take-off and are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes time. We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments. We also ask that your seats and table trays are in the upright position for take-off. Please turn off all personal electronic devices, including laptops and cell phones. Smoking is prohibited for the duration of the flight. Thank you for choosing Air Canada. Enjoy your flight."

Finally the pilot said through the speaker, I'm so excited omg

I heard my phone ring and saw I got a text message from my best friend Amber, I saw the time and I still had a few minutes before the plane takes off and I have to turn on airplane mode on my Phone, so I checked it.

[From: Llama]

Hey Wen, I hope you have a great time during your exchange, I hope your family is good, I hope you find some good friends, maybe you'll find love, who knows. I'm sorry I couldn't be there at the airport to say goodbye, but now I am. I'll miss you Wen, I already miss you, but now it's different, we're not in the same country. When I moved to Vancouver, I wasn't that sad, cause I knew could visit you at any time or you could visit me, but now we are going to have a 16 hour difference, which is huge, but that won't stop me from calling you at anytime I want. Please, call me at anytime you want or need, I don't care if it's 1 am or 5 pm, I'll answer. Please take care, don't do stupid things and study hard. Love you, Amber

I finished reading and I swear, I'm about to cry, I feel it, damn it now I'm crying.

[To: Llama]

Damn it you, I'm crying now and my seatmate will look weirdly at me. I'll miss you too and I promise I'll call. Love you too <3

I sniffled and Lia looked at me.

"Are you okay? What happened?"

"Yeah, I am, my best friend just sent me a goodbye message"

"Oh, I get it. Here, take it" She offered me a tissue.

"Thanks"

I blew my nose and I heard the flight attendant speak while the plane started to slowly move.

"Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of the crew I ask that you please direct your attention to the monitors above as we review the emergency procedures. There are six emergency exits on this aircraft. Take a minute to locate the exit closest to you. Note that the nearest exit may be behind you. Count the number of rows to this exit. If the cabin experience sudden pressure loss, stay calm and listen for instructions from the cabin crew. Oxygen masks will drop down from above your seat. Place the mask over your mouth and nose, like this. Pull the strap to tighten it. If you are traveling with children, make sure that your own mask is on first before helping your children. In the unlikely event of an emergency landing and evacuation, leave your carry-on items behind. Life rafts are located below your seats and emergency lighting will lead you to your closest exit and slide. We ask that you make sure that all carry-on luggage is stowed away safely during the flight. While we wait for take off, please take a moment to review the safety data card in the seat pocket in front of you."

I the airplane mode on my Phone, went ot my music, pressed play and relaxed on my seat while the plane took off. I looked through the window and thought, this is it, there's no turning back now. I can't say that I'm not somehow sad, I cried a lot when I had to say goodbye to my parents, but I'm doing this for myself, it's gonna be good and it's for my own good.

I need to stop thinking about that before I start crying again.

We took off and I tried to relax while listening to some music.

A while passed and I hear the pilot through the speakers again

"Good afternoon passengers. This is your captain speaking. First I'd like to welcome everyone on Air Canada Flight RV145. We are currently cruising at an altitude of 33,000 feet at an airspeed of 400 miles per hour. The time is 10:00 am. The weather looks good and with the tailwind on our side we are expecting to land in Seoul approximately fifteen minutes ahead of schedule, which is at 4:00 pm KST. The weather in Seoul is clear and sunny, with a high of 25 degrees for this afternoon. If the weather cooperates we should get a great view of the city as we descend. The cabin crew will be coming around in about twenty minutes time to offer you a light snack and beverage. Electronics can be now.  I'll talk to you again before we reach our destination. Until then, sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of the flight."

After that little message, I decided to turn on my screen and see if there's anything that I could watch.

Hmmm, let's see, Wonder Woman, La La Land, The Joker, Grown Ups... Ohhh, Harry Potter, I'll definitely watch you.

I started playing Harry Potter and began eating my Tim Hortons donut and drinking my hot chocolate. Suddenly I feel a slight touch on my shoulder, I pause the movie and turn to face Lia and I see the flight attendant asking me somthing.

I took out my headphones, "Sorry, what?"

"Would you like something to eat or drink?"

"No, I'm okay, thank you"

I turned back and pressed play, I continued watching the movie while drinking my hot chocolate, after a while I started feeling sleepy and decided to sleep for a while. I turned off the movie, my phone connected my AirPods and played some music to sleep.

-_-_-

I woke up to someone moving my shoulder and saw Lia next to me. I took off myAirPods, and sat straight.

"Sorry about waking you up, but dinner is coming soon"

"Oh okay, thank"

I saw the flight attendant come to our row and I opened my table.

"Hi, what would you like? We have rice with chicken and peas or spaghetti with tomato sauce and sautéed vegetables."

"Hmmm, I would like the rice and chicken please"

She searched for it and gave it to me in a little tr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter