On the Loom

A Way From Home

A wave of panic punched her in the face. Namjoo witnessed her brother’s eyes rounding. Landing on her, inquiring for answers about the man walking out of her bathroom with her towel around his waist.

“Kiwan,” Namjoo breathed, but he never turned to her. His eyes narrowed very slightly. Steely staring at shocked Sehun.

“Why don’t you get dressed first?” Kiwan asked somehow not sounding like he was about to throw a punch through the wall, which he was totally capable of doing.

The door to her bedroom shut. Her brother immediately wheeled around on her. Stern eyes widening. He didn’t have to say anything. Everything about his stiffening stance said he wanted quick answers before Sehun got dressed.

“His name’s Sehun,” Namjoo twiddled with her fingers. Nervously twining her fingers together, she could feel her voice turning into a mousy squeal, aware this was not how they were supposed to meet. “I like him.”

Kiwan literally snarled quietly enough that Sehun didn’t have to hear, “He slept here?”

Namjoo shrank under her brother’s scrutinizing gaze.

Irritably gasping he held a hand up to her face, “Forget it. I don’t even want to know.”

Moving away from her he dropped the bag of junk food onto her table. Giving the uncooked food on her stove one judging glance.

“Air out the place, Namjoo.” He didn’t even look at her. “It reeks.”

Rushing past him, Namjoo grabbed the air freshener tucked under her television set and started spraying randomly. Anxious, afraid what her brother might have to say about Sehun. She was aware Kiwan would have a lot to say. Even more about Sehun than he had about Hopyung the first time he met him when they had dinner at an Italian restaurant once.

“That’s enough,” he called out.

Clutching the spray between her s, Namjoo turned when the bedroom door cracked open and Sehun stepped out in the clothes from yesterday.

What had she gotten him into?

Kiwan’s expression suddenly grew gentler. Directly eyeing Sehun, he asked, “Why don’t you help me prepare breakfast while Namjoo runs out to buy napkins?”

⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕

It was apparent Namjoo had not expected her brother to visit. Uneasiness was apparent as day on her face. Her brown eyes dancing between him to her brother. Then she quietly left leaving him alone with her brother, who had similar brows, nose, and mousy lips.

Although he smiled kindly Sehun sensed apprehension from him. Of course, walking in on a man with his baby sister would all but put him off. Sure, that told the brother much about him.

But Sehun didn’t love Namjoo just for .

“Sehun, huh?” Kiwan asked. Politely extending his hand, “I’m Kiwan. I’m two years older than Namjoo. We have another brother, Kitaek, but he’s much older so I’m closer to Namjoo.”

Sehun courteously shook his hand.

He was familiar with this. A man displaying his importance. Putting his print on his territory as a warning. But lucky for Sehun, he knew how to hold his line. As if everything in his life had prepared him for this moment.

“Looks like Namjoo was up to something,” Kiwan headed into the kitchen to observe the meat on the stove that had hardened because they’d not been put in the fridge. He mumbled, “She’s just as bad at this as she was at home.”

Sehun opened his mouth when Kiwan dumped the meat into the trash bin. Perhaps it was a good thing he hadn’t said Namjoo had been preparing to cook before they’d gone to bed together. Her brother aggressively tossed the pan into the sink where it caused a bang.

“So, where are you from?” Kiwan asked, back to him. Sehun could tell the man was not approving, but he had manners. That at least said something.

“I grew up in the city,” Sehun answered.

“Really? Namjoo says you own a company.”

“Yes, I do.”

Looking over his shoulder, the brother commented, “I guess you have a good head on your shoulders.”

Being careful to not boast, Sehun humbly said, “I was just lucky.”

Kiwan thinly smiled. “What about your family?”

“My parents are bankers. I also have two brothers,” Sehun explained. “One lives with my parents. I haven’t been in touch with the other one.”

“I get that,” he lightheartedly sympathized, “some familial relationships just go awry.”

“Well, it happens.” Sehun tried to match his mood.

“Then, where do you live?” Kiwan turned the faucet off once he’d completed cleaning the pan.

“On the east side near Namgoong neighborhood.”

Kiwan raised a brow. Impressed, “That’s where the elite condos are. So you own a three-story condo?”

“Just a two-story.”

Kiwan whistled amazed. Sehun smiled in return. Hoping this meant gratification and acceptance on his part.

Shortly after returning from her errand, Namjoo helped plate breakfast. Her presence eased the tension in Kiwan, who was suddenly more inviting. Teasing Namjoo about her bad taste in men. Telling Sehun about her first boyfriend who’d cheated on her even causing Namjoo to shoot him a glare and threaten to hit him.

As Kiwan washed dishes, Sehun found an opening to excuse himself. Namjoo walked him out into the hallway. Waiting for the door to close before she leaned against it sighing loudly, as if she’d been holding her breath the entire time.

“Sorry,” Namjoo apologized. “I didn’t know he was coming.”

“It’s ok.” Sehun assured.

Taking his hand, she ran her thumb over the back of it. “Was he mean to you?”

“No. We were all right.” Sehun smiled. He didn’t want her to feel bad. No matter what, he still loved her much.

“If you say so.” Namjoo’s tone dropped.

“So,” Sehun began hoping to cheer her up, “who’s Hopyung?”

Innocently looking up at him, she reminded, “You said you weren’t interested in my love life.”

“Well, I’d like to know all the men in your life.” Sehun cocked his head grinning.

“You’re my only love life, ok?” Namjoo leaned up to give him a peck on the cheek. Landing on her soles, she promised, “He’s not important anymore.”

Broadly smiling, Sehun traced a thumb over the corner of her lips. “Thanks, for yesterday. I enjoyed it.”

Namjoo shyly scoffed enlightening everything dead in him. Tilting his head, he gave her a slow kiss then backed away.

“I’ll call you,” he told. “Go back in. Your brother’s waiting.”

⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕

Worry fluttered through her when she returned inside. Closing the door after her, she locked her fingers. Shuffling as she returned. Strangely feeling like a guilty daughter coming home after a night out without permission.

“So,” she began, “what do you think?”

Kiwan was drying his hands in the kitchen. Took his time answering her as he set the damp rag aside. Grabbed the bag of junk food. Stalked over to the kitchen table swept clean. The bag of chips popped so eerily loudly Namjoo’s insides jumped. The first crunch of cracker in his mouth made her want to crawl away when Kiwan’s eyes just sat on her.

“I will take it with a grain of salt that you know what you’re doing.” Kiwan’s tone was cool and smooth. Her uptight brother not showing any kind of emotion on his face. “You’re an adult. A full-grown woman. I just hope you’re being careful.”

“Of course,” Namjoo cautiously moved closer. “I am.”

“Are you on birth control?” Kiwan asked.

“Kiwan!”

“Are you?” his voice deepened.

Namjoo bit her lower lip. “N…no.”

“You better,” Kiwan warned. “If you get pregnant, it won’t be me hacking your lover apart, but mom and dad and Kitaek.”

Namjoo sulked.

“You don’t need me to tell you these things, do you?” Kiwan lectured. “You already know that condoms can’t guarantee that you won’t get pregnant.”

“Just shut up!” Namjoo raised her voice. “I don’t need you to treat me like I don’t know!”

“Then you should be more careful!” he yelled.

All her blood rushed up to her head. Her face felt hot. She didn’t know why she was letting her brother treat her like this.

Kiwan gasped frustrated. Holding his fist up by his head as if that would release the tension building up in him.

“Ok, lets just stop.” Kiwan backed off. “Go see a doctor, ok? You just graduated. You don’t even have a real job yet. You have your whole life ahead of you. Don’t get pregnant and get tied down.”

Angrily looking away Namjoo forced herself to mutter, “Fine.”

Getting up Kiwan brushed crumbs off his hands. “He’s all right.”

Lighting up, Namjoo enthusiastically turned to him.

“Sure,” Kiwan shrugged, “but he’s too perfect. There’s something about him I can’t describe that doesn’t hit me right. Just be careful, ok? I don’t want to see you hurt.”

“I’m so glad to hear that.” Namjoo widely smiled, so relieved.

When she called Sehun that evening she reported everything Kiwan said to her. Minus the part about going on birth control. Sehun was already being careful. Considering her welfare before making love to her. She grew giddy when she thought about Jeju. Sehun had prepared everything ahead of time despite his frantic schedule.

Definitely she wasn’t prepared to get pregnant yet, but last night she had thought about it. Having Sehun’s kids. Growing a family with him.

How great would that be?

Him forever in her life.

Namjoo sighed happily as she slept that night.

The following day she went all out for their date. Slipping into a dress, heels, making her hair wavy, and flinging everything out of her closet in search of a fashionable purse. Repeatedly checking herself over in the mirror. Turning here, turning there until she was satisfied. Today she would make Sehun’s jaw drop.

“Hi, beautiful.” He greeted handsomely leaning against his car at the curb, hands tucked in his pants pockets.

Control yourself she repeated, but found herself skipping toward him skittishly. Needing to throw her arms around him. Hold him near. Take in a whiff of him, see what cologne he was wearing today.

Sehun straightened when she approached. He didn’t throw his arms around her or pull her into his body. Smother her with a kiss. Instead of being disappointed, Namjoo craned her neck back to soak the sight of him. So tall and handsome.

Gently running his hand along her hairline toward her ear, he said, “You dressed up today.”

“To prevent you from ripping them off me later.”

Scoffing he pushed her away. Namjoo laughed and eagerly pulled the door open to climb inside.

“Oh, I forgot something,” Sehun said when she closed the door. The second she turned he grabbed her face, breathlessly kissing her. When he let go and started the engine he said, “Don’t be so pretty next time. It won’t be my fault for what I do next if you keep tempting me.”

Biting her lower lip Namjoo couldn’t stop smiling. “What are we doing today?”

“I’ll take you shopping.”

“You’re going to spoil me?”

“I called my parents,” Sehun said. “They have time next weekend. We can have brunch together. They’re really excited to meet you.”

⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕

At hearing that, he could see the complicit trouble slashing through Namjoo’s expression.

“Don’t worry,” Sehun assured. “They’re nice.”

“Anyone would be nervous meeting her boyfriend’s parents,” Namjoo said.

“At least they won’t be walking in on us ,” Sehun teased. Namjoo reached over to slap his arm.

Tightly holding Namjoo’s hand they explored the window shops at the mall. Young girls and women were also fashionably dressed. Some in high end clothes. Others in casual flares. Better dressed than Namjoo. Prettier females flaunting everything to the eye their bodies offered. He noticed Namjoo touching her hair, her dress, checking other women out. But if she didn’t already know, she was all he ever wanted in the crowd of a million.

That weekend when he picked her up, Namjoo was more modestly dressed in the dress he’d bought for her the past weekend.

“Is my hair all right?” Namjoo worriedly touched it during the ride to the restaurant. Pulling a compact mirror out of her bag, she observed her face. “I think my lipstick is smudged.”

“It’s fine,” Sehun said. “You’re beautiful, I promise. They’ll love you.”

Dropping her hands onto her lap, she asked, “Are you sure? What if your mom finds me too fat? Or too skinny? What kind of girl does she like? You should have told me all this before.”

“Because I know for sure, they’ll like you.” Sehun matter-of-factly repeated. “Don’t be a worrywart. It won’t be my fault if you get forehead creases.”

Concerned, Namjoo pressed a hand against her forehead and scowled at him.

On a timely manner they arrived at the classic restaurant he had reserved a week earlier. Everything from rooftop all the way to the bricked walk had been arranged by him. That including the very people inside waiting for them.

Patiently waiting for Namjoo to straighten herself, he took her hand and led her inside. A very refined woman with her glossy hair in an elegant bun brightly smiled at them. Her very red lips revealing a set of brilliantly white teeth. Next to her an elder man who was defined in his early 50’s firmly gave a curt smile. His thinning black hair peppered with faint white strands. Dressed in his best garment for today’s brunch. A black suit with a white button down.

“Mom,” Sehun greeted, “dad. This is Kim Namjoo.”

A young waiter in a suit and vest took their orders and disappeared.

“You’re so lovely,” the woman complimented. “I’ve been hearing a lot about you.”

“I hear that you’re an intern.” The man commented. “How are you liking your work?”

“I very like it,” Namjoo happily answered. “I’m hoping to become a designer in the future, but,” she looked at him with the horizon in her eyes, “Sehun is also teaching me a lot right now.” Smiling proudly, “You must be so lucky to have him as your son.”

They all shared gleeful smiles. “Yes, how did we get so lucky?”

And it clicked naturally between them. Conversing, laughing, and eating together like they were already one whole family on a regular date on a Saturday afternoon. Namjoo was undoubtedly feeling like the luckiest woman when they left the restaurant.

“Your parents are so nice!” she exclaimed in the car.

“I told you,” he reminded boisterously, “they’ll love you.”

“You were right.” Namjoo leaned over to peck his cheek.

“And you’re beautiful today.” Sehun said tucking her hair behind her ear. “Now, want to take a stroll at the park?”

Eagerly nodding, Namjoo leaned back into her chair and pulled her seatbelt on.

Birds were squawking when they finally left the car. Joining the crowd, they crossed the grass together. Mixing in with the public venturing outside. A quarter of the way down the path toward the trail, Namjoo needed to use the bathroom. While waiting, he watched the carefree people milling about. On bikes, on their feet, with one or two more others. Everyone having someone with them. A child clinging onto their mom or dad’s hand as they enjoyed a day out just being the family they were.

Sehun watched the family disappear around the bend of the trees and that was when his phone rang. It was from an unknown caller.

“Hello?” he answered.

“How was it? Are you satisfied with our acting?”

His expression grew grim. “I told you not to call.” Shifting his back to the public shelter, he quietly uttered vexed, “I’m hanging up. I’ll send you the money by midnight.”


***ooop Namjoo got a lecture

***/coughs/ the man /coughs/ the woman - I'll help you catch that part

***i put half the effort in writing this chapter but blegh whatever. anyway i'll be back next week for real this time