Nine

Bending the Lines for You

Chapter 9

 

Paris Gare du Nord

6:00 PM

 

“Attention passengers, we have arrived at Paris Gare du Nord. Please check your overhead bin and all small items in the seat pockets”

 

Mark clicks his pen to close it and look towards the big window next to Herin and realizes that they have arrived at the Paris station. The past 3 hours flew by so fast as they spent time brainstorming and talking about music.

 

“Wow that was fast” Herin stated as she folds the empty bag of chips they finished throughout the songwriting process.

 

“What was?” Mark responded absentmindedly as he grabs his bag from the overhead bin.

 

“We finished a whole bag of chips and also I meant the trip itself” Herin chuckles as she playfully slaps the chip bag onto Mark’s torso as she pushes him to the side to make way.

 

He curls at the impact and laughs along before following her to exit the train.

 

They went out of the station and found out that most of the stores are preparing to close.

 

“Herin, I guess your shopping will have to wait until tomorrow. Will you be okay?”

 

Herin shrugs nonchalantly, “Yeah, I guess it can’t be helped”

 

“Alright, let’s get you some basic essentials and toiletries?”

 

“Sounds good, I’m sure there’s a drug store nearby”

 

 

It turns out that the nearest drug store only sold creams and skincare products, so Herin decided to get some stuff she could use.

 

Mark’s stomach made a soft growl, making his face turn pink in embarrassment.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were hungry? We could’ve gotten dinner first, you know” Herin teases.

 

“Nah, it’s alright. Just grab whatever you need first. We might not come across an open drug store later”

 

 

Le Marais

7:30 PM

 

The restaurant is busy as it gets because it is dinner time. Low light hugs the entire restaurant and jazz music is played softly through speakers.

 

The duo is seated in a small natural wood grained table at the corner of the restaurant, somehow giving them a bit more privacy from the busy crowd.

 

After ordering, Herin’s phone vibrates, signaling an incoming call.

 

“Seren” It read.

 

Herin picks up the phone and turns out it’s a video call.

 

“Hey, what’s up?” Herin greets her sister.

 

“I’m bored, entertain me please” Seren sighed from across the call.

 

“Well, I’m not” Herin retorted.

 

“Wait—where are you?” Seren squints her eyes and zooms in towards the phone.

 

“Having dinner?” Heren answers casually.

 

“Monsieur, here’s your appetizer” the waiter suddenly appears next to Mark to serve his soup, speaking in his thick French accent.

 

To which he responded with “Merci” in his trained and almost perfect French.

 

Herin also smiles to the waiter as he serves her appetizer.

 

“Is that Liam? Let me say hi” Seren chimes.

 

Herin pauses for a moment and hesitated, “No it’s not. But say hi anyways”

She faces her phone to Mark briefly, who’s obviously startled at the unexpected meeting.

 

Mark voices a small hi and smiles nervously.

 

Seren could not control her surprised expression and gasped, putting her hand over as her eyes widen.

 

Herin faces her phone back to herself, meeting a very surprised Seren.

 

“YO isn’t that the NCT guy you always talk about—”

 

Now it was Herin’s turn to be flustered as her eyes doubled their size. Thanks to her reflex, she cuts off the call before Seren could say anything else.

 

She looks up to Mark, who’s now as surprised as she is.

 

Herin swats her hands a couple times, hoping to somehow brush off her sister’s comment which basically exposed her.

 

“I don’t—”

 

*Incoming call from Seren*

 

Herin learned her lesson the hard way, knowing her sister never knows how to censor and turned off the speaker phone this time.

 

“What” She gritted through her teeth as she answers

 

“Sis, you got some explaining to do.” Seren said without even starting with hi.

 

“Don’t tell Mom and Dad, but I’m in Paris. Liam, Liberty, and Lia aren’t here. Okay, gotta go bye”

 

“What—” her sister exclaimed.

 

Herin cuts off the line before Seren could even utter another word.

 

Mark just sits there and watches the whole thing, amused.

 

Herin digs her spoon to her French onion soup, without meeting his eyes although she could feel his gaze on her.

 

“For your record” She finally looks up to meet his halfmoon eyes.

 

“I didn’t talk about you all the time. I told her ONCE that one of my close trainee friends debuted in NCT”

 

Mark grinned and let out a series of giggled, “I didn’t ask”

 

“but I’m flattered to hear that I exist in your life”

 

“Oh shut up” Herin faces her mushroom soup again and text Seren one last time to get Seren to stop calling her.

 

“YOU ARE SO DEAD” she types frantically and threw her phone to her bag before trying to enjoy her first dinner in Paris.

 

After finishing their dinner, they decided to walk around the area to get some fresh air because they knew they wouldn’t be able to sleep after such a filling meal.

 

“So umm, about tonight. I have an Airbnb booked” Mark starts off.

 

“Oh right, I almost forgot about that” Herin looks at him in realization that she does not have anything planned, including where she’s going to lodge this entire trip.

 

Mark shakes his head, finding her carefree nature extremely adorable. He never thought someone could be this spontaneous.

 

“Do you mind if I stay with you? I could take the couch” Herin pitches her seemingly awesome idea.

 

Mark shakes his head, signalling that he doesn’t mind at all, “Only if you’re okay with staying with me”

 

“Thanks” Herin lights up hearing his response.

 

“You don’t have a crazy sleeping habit, do you? Like sleepwalking or snoring which could wake up the entire floor” She jokes.

 

“Just be grateful I let you crash at my place, silly” Mark lightly squeezes her shoulders.

 

“Trust me, I am. If you decided to let me sleep in the streets, I’ll contact dispatch with a big bold headline, “NCT’s Mark Lee abandons a friend to sleep in the streets”” Herin makes a grand headline gesture with both of her hands.

 

“You’re insane” Mark couldn’t help but laugh heartily.

 

Inside, he’s a bit nervous about sharing housing with Herin. He might look indifferent on the outside, but he never sees her as just a friend.

 

 

________*********_______

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note: 

 

OMG it's November already! Anyone got exciting plans this Winter?