Seven

Bending the Lines for You

Chapter 7

 

Somewhere in the waters

6:15 PM

 

“Quick, let’s take a picture it’s almost sunset” Liam instructed as he takes out his polaroid camera.

 

“3… 2…” Lia counts.

 

Mark tucks a strand of Herin’s hair behind her ear and Herin snaps her head to look at him.

 

“1!” and the camera clicks.

 

The group posed on the dock of the ship as the evening breeze blows their loose shirts.

 

“Can you take one of Liam and I?” Liberty asked Herin.

 

Herin takes the camera and smiles as she takes the shot, it makes her heart full seeing her bestfriends that happy with each other.

 

The corner of Mark’s lips found their way to curve up, forming a genuine, warm smile as he witnesses the scene. It makes him feel envious, almost.

 

Liberty caught the whole scene and nods knowingly. This is what Herin needs, she just needs a little push.

 

After they finished taking a picture for Lia and Herin, Liam offered to take a picture for Mark. Mark refused politely as he feels awkward.

 

“Herin, why don’t you take a picture with Mark since he doesn’t want to take a picture alone?” Liberty chimed in.

 

Mark was flustered but he felt thankful inside that Liberty throws that idea out for him.

 

“Huh? Sure, I guess. It’s been a while since we took a picture together” Herin jogs towards Mark.

 

They look at each other for a second and laughed. This scene felt like déjà vu—they acted the same way when they were placed next to each other during Mickey Mouse Playhouse back then. The only difference is that they’re taller and Mark now towers over Herin, as opposed to how they were almost the same height back then.

 

The pair smiles for the camera. As if the universe got the cue, the boat rocks to the side due to a sudden big wave. Mark automatically throws his arm left arm around Herin’s shoulders to balance her.

 

“Ok smile now”

 

They both look back at the camera and flashes their brightest smile, with the sun setting in the background, reflecting its beautiful light on the seas.

 

“Got it!” Liam told them.

 

Mark’s eyelids flicker a couple times as he realized that he’s still holding her in his arms, he looks to his left and met Herin’s dark brown orbs as they reflect the magnificent lights of the sunset.

 

His heart skipped a beat.

Her almond shaped eyes are curved like a crescent moon--she’s smiling at him.

 

 Mark could’ve sworn that was the happiest he’d truly been in a while.

 

 

Somewhere in London

10:00 PM

 

The quartet drags their tired body towards Liberty’s flat. They had finished quality time over a hearty dinner and a couple glasses of wine in one of the restaurants by the pier, just after they finished sailing.

 

Mark only drank one and a half glass of wine as he knows his limit and he wants to be as sober as he could to take in one of his last moments with Herin tonight.

 

“Here we are, back to my humble abode” Liberty announces as they approach her flat.

 

Herin’s heart felt heavy every time they had to part; she doesn’t know if she could see Mark again.

 

The imagination scares her. These past couple of days have made her more courageous, and she braves herself to take a chance.

 

“What’s your plan for tomorrow?” Herin voices.

 

After a second of hesitations, “I’m leaving for Paris tomorrow” Mark avoids her eyes as he’s afraid to face her.

 

“That’s so soon!” she failed catch herself. Anyone could hear the apparent disappointment in her voice.

 

“…Yeah” Mark doesn’t know how to respond.

 

Meeting her was out of his calculations, he never expects that he’d actually meet her and how much it made him want to stay.

 

The trio look at them as if they’re watching a soap opera, Lia’s shoulders literally slumped down as soon as she heard how disappointed Herin was. They just want her to be happy.

 

Liam, Lia, and Liberty proceed to say their goodbyes to Mark just in case they don’t get the chance to see him again before his departure tomorrow.

 

“Well, we’re going to wait upstairs…” Lia announces as she drags Liam and Liberty and ignores Liam’s confused face as to why he’s also being dragged upstairs even though he doesn’t live there.

 

After a moment of silence, Herin finally opens her voice, “What time do you leave tomorrow?”

 

“2:30 PM from St. Pancras International Station” Mark carefully answers as he doesn’t want to be hopeful.

 

Herin nods, “Do you know your way there?”

 

“I’ll grab a taxi from my Airbnb.” He immediately regrets it and wanted to slap his own mouth for uttering such a stupid response. He could’ve said he doesn’t know so she’d take him there.

 

Herin nods once again and attempts to utter a calm response, “Okay, I guess this is it.”

 

Mark’s heart fell.

 

“It’s been… fun hanging out with you again, Mark. I’m glad we got to meet” her voice betrays her as it cracked.

 

Instead of responding, he pulls her into a tight hug.

 

Herin froze for a second before her own arms embraced him and she rests her head on the crook of his neck.

 

Meanwhile, the trio has reached the room and are watching them from Liberty’s big window.

 

“Oh my gosh, they’re hugging!” Both of the girls violently hit Liam’s arms on both sides. If he wasn’t so into the moment, he would’ve felt pain.

 

Mark didn’t say anything and they just stayed that way for a while until he carefully lets her go.

 

“Thank you for the past few days, Herin” he finally says as he holds onto her arms. Mark knows fully well that he isn’t good at expressing his feelings in words, so he doesn’t want to risk making fool of himself.

 

She nods as she looks at him to take in everything of him.

 

After a few moments he opens his voice again, “I should go now”

 

He painfully lets his arms loose, back to coldness and solitude.

 

Herin raises her hand to wave at him which he responds with his signature smile one last time and slowly turns his back at her.

 

Mark felt like each of his step were like dragging a sack of rice; they felt heavy.

 

Herin stays on her spot and watches his figure becomes smaller and disappear as he turns into a corner.

 

 

Liberty’s room

10:15 PM

 

Herin knocks on Liberty’s door, which is opened immediately and she is greeted with three worried faces.

 

“Honey are you okay?” Lia approaches her.

 

Herin never thought she would have to force a smile infront of her closest friends, but she did that night.

 

“I’ll get the shower running for warm water, okay?” Liberty looks at her and proceeds to the bathroom.

 

Herin nods and sets her bag on the floor before proceeding to walk to the bathroom.

 

As soon as the bathroom door clicks and they made sure Herin’s taking a shower, the trio gathered for an emergency meeting.

 

“Today doesn’t have to be the last time they see each other; how do we find a way for them to spend more time?” Liam opens.

 

“My heart breaks for her. What if we take Herin to the station tomorrow and let her decide?” Lia suggested.

 

“Yeah, we could pretend we’re going for a brunch nearby and stop by the station after” Liberty added.

 

“Are we all okay with Herin not spending the next few days with us?” Lia makes sure.

 

“Are you kidding? Of course, we are. We can see her any day while she doesn’t know when she can see him again”

 

“Okay, okay, just gotta make sure” Lia smiles widely.

 

 

A café near St. Pancras International Station

13:30 PM

 

“How’s your pancake, Herin? Can I have a bite?” Liam asks.

 

“Huh? Yeah sure, take some” Herin pushes her plate to Liam.

 

The trio looks at each other understandingly and seeing her like this made them sure that they’re doing the right thing for their friend.

 

“Hey, Herin. How do you feel about hanging out with Mark for the past couple of days?” Liberty blurts without warning.

 

Both Liam and Lia gaped at her.

 

Herin’s eyes widen at the sudden question but replies, “It was surreal. I never thought I’d see him again, let alone hanging out like the past few days”

 

“Would you want to spend more time with him?” Lia joins.

 

“I mean yeah, that’d be great. But—”

 

“Then what are you waiting for?” Liam looks at her.

 

Herin stops eating for a moment and looks up to her friends who are shooting her encouraging looks.

 

“You’re right, what am I waiting for?” she slams her fork on the table.

“But what about our vacation, my passport, my bags—”

 

“What do you take us for? Here’s your passport.” Lia takes out Herin’s passport out of her tote bag.

 

“You can just buy some clothes there and dress like a Parisienne” Liberty throws her head back and laughs.

 

Herin smiles brightly for the first time today at her enthusiastic and supportive friends.

 

“Come on. Finish your food, young lady. Then we’re gonna take you there” Liam playfully nags at her.

 

 

2:30 PM

 

“I can’t believe this bloody traffic” Liam hits the steering wheel. They’re a couple minutes away from the station and suddenly got stuck in traffic.

 

Herin looks at her watch and the road. It seems like the traffic isn’t getting any better soon.

 

“I’m going to run” she announces boldly.

 

“yeah, go go go! We’ll catch you there” Lia taps her shoulder.

 

“I love you guys! I’ll make it up to you” Herin opens the car door.

 

“I’m proud of you!” Liberty hollers through the open window.

 

Herin runs to the station, ignoring the cars still lining up in traffic.

 

 

St. Pancras International Station

2:45 PM

 

Mark lines up to board the train. He looks back with a heavy heart, a part of him still hopes that she’ll somehow show up to see him one last time. It even makes him feel guilty for hoping.

 

There is still a good amount of people in front of him, so Mark decided to check his phone, just in case she calls.

 

“Mark!”

 

His ears perk up and looks around, but he shakes his head as thought it was just his imagination.

 

“Mark!” He heard his name being called once again and turns to the source of the voice.

 

He stands there stunned; he could not believe what he’s seeing with his own two eyes.

 

Herin was there, running towards him with her hair loosely framing her face as the strands escaped her braids.

 

Mark drops his bags to the ground as she catches on with him and is now standing before him.

 

“What are you doing here?” His smile creeps up forming an ecstatic, wide smile.

 

Herin catches her breath for a second and raises her hand in front of his face, revealing a train ticket to Paris.

 

“What are your thoughts about hanging out for a couple more days?” She finally looks up and flashes a wide grin.

 

“Oh God, I love this woman”

 

__*****__