Stepping outside the box

Stepping outside the box

Winter was not your favorite season. But you felt this cold day was going to be the best one yet. The sun was up and proud, melting some of the snow that piled up during the night. Which you watched fall down because it was impossible for you to sleep with so many thoughts running through your head. You needed to make an important decision and you felt like today was the perfect day to do so.

 

Your best friend, Jungkook, had invited you on a road trip. He was in the mood to explore and take advantage of his new car. Who to enjoy it more than with "his girl"? As he so often calls you. So you had the perfect outfit planned and once you tried it on, you decided it didn't suit you. Yes, you made up your mind to confess your feelings for your best friend. But you didn't want to look like a preppy girl straight from a romantic movie. You wanted to look like yourself. 

 

'Don't overdo it', you thought. 

 

Taking another look at your clothes, your eyes landed on your favorite hoodie. The one Jungkook gifted you just because he felt like it. Of course he then told you the real reason was so that you would stop stealing his, which is identical to the one you now decided to wear.

 

"We'll be stuck in a car anyways. I don't need to dress up", you shrugged while taking one last look in the mirror. "Ugh, I do need to do something about these dark circles".

 

With that said, you put on a bit of makeup. Enough to make you think you looked decent to show your face in front of your best friend. Not like it mattered, he has seen you during your worst times. And instead of making fun of you, he would always be concerned. One of the many reasons why your heart skips a beat for him.

 

You glanced at your phone, 7:22 am read the time. 

"What the hell am I doing up this early. He's not coming til eleven", you said letting yourself fall to the bed. 

 

You felt yourself starting to doze off. Guess all those sleepless hours were starting to catch up. All of a sudden, your phone rang startling you. It was Jungkook. Your heart started beating way too fast for your liking and you didn't know if to answer or just let it go to voicemail. Maybe he'd think you were still sleeping.

 

"No. You decided to muster up some courage! You can't keep being like this", you scolded yourself. Your phone stopped ringing and it brought nothing but frustration. "Coward", you muttered. "He's your best friend. What do you have to fear? It was just a normal call".  You tried to convince yourself but failed. Thoughts of him cancelling on you kept rising making you nervous and anxious. You quickly grabbed the phone to dial back but you heard a knock on your front door.

 

You opened it without taking a peek thinking it was your neighbor to give one of her usual complaints about your dog. But to your surprise, Jungkook was standing there with bags in his hands.

"Oh!" he exclaimed pointing at your hoodie excited. "We're matching!" He flashed his perfect beaming smile. "Something told me you were going for the hoodie too."

"Why are you here so early?" You mentally face-palmed yourself. 'Seriously? That's how you greet him?'

You were trying to play it cool a little too harsh. You just couldn't get over the fact that you both looked like a couple and he was happy about it. 'I'm definitely stepping out of my comfort zone today,' you promised yourself.

"Thought you'd be hungry. You're lazy enough to sleep through breakfast and we have a long way ahead of us today," Jungkook said letting himself into your house. "So I brought your favorite."

"IHOP?" You asked confused.

"Even better," he said taking the food out. "Pancakes made by me."

 

Your face lit up brighter than the sun outside. It's not the first time he's cooked something for you but for some reason, today it felt special. The fact that he knew everything you loved and hated drove you crazy. He knew you better than yourself. It was so overwhelming but it felt good and you thought the moment was perfect to start the day with a special confession. I mean, if he did all this for you he probably feels the same way, right?

 

"Jungkook," you started and took in a deep breath.

"Yeah?" He replied, eating some of the breakfast he brought.

 

Panic. Nothing but panic ran through your body as he looked straight into your eyes. You were tense and you hadn't let out your breath yet. You felt like passing out.

 

"Pancakes are great," you finally exhaled and continued eating in silence. 

 

"I knew you'd like them," he smiled and stretched his arm to feed you playfully. 

 

You were ready to die right then and there. He wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary but now that you're well aware of your feelings, it was making you crazy. His every move, his every word, his smile, the way his hair peeked out of his cap, his voice when he casually bursts into songs. Absolutely everything was mesmerizing. You just couldn't help but wonder if he saw you in the same light.

 

After casual talks in between every bite, you were both eager to hit the road and start this new adventure together.

 

"You still haven't told me where we're going," you said once you got in the car.

 

"Does it matter?" he smirked making you blush.

 

You quickly brushed it off with a laugh. "Fine by me. Not like I'd rather be anywhere else," you said without thinking. 

 

"I know I'm your favorite person in the whole world."

 

'You have no idea...' you thought and laughed.

 

You were both enjoying the beautiful snowy mountain scenery while listening to music and singing along. Despite the cold day, you felt a warmth inside of you, it was inexplicable. You loved the feeling so much you wished to keep that moment forever. That genuine happiness you always longed for. Everything felt perfect. So perfect you were starting to wonder if confessing your feelings was actually the right thing to do. After all, you were running the risk of ruining the great friendship you had with him. 

 

'It's not worth it. I don't think I can handle not having him in my life at all.'

 

"You have something on your mind, don't you? I could tell since breakfast," Jungkook took a worried glance at you.

 

"Me? No. I'm just taking in the moment," you lied.

 

"Wanna talk about it? You know I'm always here for you." His right hand landed on yours while he used his left one to keep steering the car.

 

You stared at it and grabbed it without thinking. It was an impulse and he was used to this already. "I'm okay, really," you forced a smile and he dropped the subject. He knew you might get more upset if he kept pressing.

 

"Well stop looking so depressed. Today we're having fun!" he yelled making you laugh.

 

"There it is, that beautiful smile." He pinched your left cheek and you slapped his hand away playfully.

 

After two more hours on the road, you complained you were hungry. This was no surprise to Jungkook as he knew about your relationship with food.

 

"Of course you are. I got some snacks at the back." He stopped the car at the nearest rest stop and you both took the chance to stretch and of course use the rest room. You bladder was screaming, begging to go. When you got back, Jungkook was laying down on the back seat. 

 

"Move over," you motioned with your hand. You wanted to join him and feel him close."It's so cold out there," you said shutting the car door. You were now side to side and you quickly started to feel your skin burn under your coat and hoodie.

 

"Want some?" Jungkook asked shoving your favorite snack in your mouth while laughing. He loved to tease you. 

"How are you sweating so fast? Just a minute ago you were cold!" He noted.

 

"Hormones," you joked. You weren't lying though.

 

"Just take your coat off," he said trying to help you and you let him. You definitely needed to feel much cooler. "Want me to lower the heater?" he asked concerned now.

 

"No, that's fine. You worry too much," you chuckled. 

 

"If you insist," he said turning up the volume instead because your favorite song was playing. "Take my hands now, you are the cause of my euphoria!" He sang along with his beautiful voice and motioned you to join him and of course, you did. It's hard to say no to him. Besides, you did this with him all the time. 

 

You weren't no pro but your voice was good enough to make him think you sing beautifully and you knew he loved it when you both sang together. He's always wanted you to perform for him on your own but you were always to shy to do so. Today was a different story though, you were inspired by the lyrics of the song and took the lead.

 

"Close the door now, when I'm with you I'm in utopia," you sang while looking at him straight into his eyes. This made him smile warmly at you. 

 

This just encouraged you and while you kept singing, you felt your body leaning closer to his. You weren't even giving it thought, you just obeyed your every move. It's like your heart was in command now and you weren't complaining. Your hand suddenly caressed his cheek and you kept leaning in as you sang. Your voice though, started to fade when your face was inches away from his. The music kept playing while you both looked into each others eyes. And then, you did the unimaginable. 

 

You closed the space between you both, your lips landing on his. He quickly responded and the feeling was like nothing you've ever experienced before. The world suddenly shifted and everything seemed perfect, at peace. It was the sweetest kiss ever, He was gently cupping your face but you could tell he wanted to feel you closer. Like he'd been waiting for this moment for a very long time.

 

Feeling the same way, you kept leaning towards him until you were laying on top of him in the back seat. Yes, you felt your body screaming at you. Wanting him. But even so, the moment was just so pure and perfect, you easily brushed the thoughts aside. You couldn't believe what just happened. 

 

Once you pulled away, he gently pushed your head down for you to rest on his chest. "Took you long enough," he chuckled softly.

 

"What do you mean?" you asked confused. You were still lost in thought replaying the kiss in your head.

 

"I've been waiting on you for years," he admitted making you take a look at his face. It was the first time you've seen him acting shy like that. He was even blushing.

 

"Why didn't you say something?! Do you know how hard it was for me to decide whether I should confess or not?" You were simply shocked. 

 

"I wanted it to come from you. I didn't want to affect your decision because I'm influencing you with my feelings. I just wanted to make sure you really liked me. It just seemed too impossible. I was already mentally prepared for the friend zone." Jungkook joked but you weren't laughing. "It was also cute watching you struggle."

 

"So you knew?! On top of that you knew and you didn't say anything!" You exclaimed.

 

"It shouldn't be a surprise how much I know you," he caressed your face. "Just like it shouldn't be a surprise how much I love you." 

 

Your heart skipped too many beats and he leaned in to kiss you once more without giving you a chance to rebound from his words. It wasn't a crazy confession. You've known each other for years and you perfectly knew it was possible for him to love you because you felt the same way. You both knew each other too well.

 

"I love you too," you managed to say between kisses. 

 

This was definitely the best day of your life. It was the start of something bigger than the adventure you were in with him. It was something you had longed for so long. That genuine happiness you thought would disappear if you confessed your feelings to your best friend and now the love of your life. It was the perfect day to be brave and step out of that box that held you back for so long. 

 

Like your favorite song says, he is truly the cause of your euphoria.