Prologue to Vie

Our Garden of Memories

"Vic..why are we meeting here?" I look around nervously at the place we are meeting today.

It was a Cafe. But the Cafe looks eccentric.. it looks more like a garden with several elegant white patio furniture...

Pastel hydrangeas were everywhere. And by the iron gates which separate the outside world, tall giant stalks of sunflowers were blooming brightly. It was an exquisite view.

"Well be it an appointment with friends or patient. I  refuse to meet in my boring office, it's a gloomy place." Victoria flipped her hair behind her shoulder.

"It looks wonderful.. I've never seen such kind of place." I marvel at the pretty bunch of tiny flowers decorating the walls of vines..

"It's a one of a kind, sweethearts." An old man appears from behind us. He looks proud of the place. The owner perhaps..

"Kookie.. come and take the order. Will you? It's bad having young ladies wait too long." He smiled gently while staring at the garden.

"I'm coming, you old man." A young man in Black T-shirt and olive server apron came out with menus.

"What can I get you, ladies?" He placed menu book on the table. Beneath his black beanie hat, chocolate soft looking hair peeking out.

He is standing in a familiar relaxed pose. Carving a soft subtle smile on his face. I tried not to caught staring and opened the menu book.

"I'll have your special in house brewed iced coffee, kookie." Vic ordered for herself.

"You'll never order anything else other than coffee.. tae tae will get sad you know." He chuckled and jotted down the order.

"..urmmnn.." I stare at the menu blankly.

"Let her have your special Strawberry Mint lemonade." The old man suggested warmly.

"Will you be fine?" The boy look at me for confirmation, his round wide eyes staring into people soul.

"Thank you." I nodded and smile nervously.

Both men left us a , nd I let out a relieved sigh. I didn't used to be in people company. Always spending my time in my study.

"Say.. the dreams you have been having." Vic bring the attention back to me. Her casual style reminded me of a badass female lecturer though her white cotton blouse and dark slim jeans make her looks younger. She adjusted her white tailored designer blazer. 

Ahh.. back to the reason why we are here today.

"I didn't know exactly.. but it's not mine.. those dreams. It's not about me. I didn't even know how it started." I shooks my head gently.

The server came to served our order and I saw his name tag. Jungkook. It didn't ring anything in my memories but his gesture are so strikingly familiar. It brings an aching pains inside.

"Write it.. that dream of yours." Vic smiled as she lift her glass of iced coffee and place the straw by her lips.

"Write it?" I asked Vic for confirmation.

"Yeah..why not. You are novelist. You have written books before, right?" She shrugged her shoulder and sipped her coffee.

"I didn't know where to start with." My fingers stir the clear plastic spoon inside the clear glass of lemonade with crushed strawberries and mint leaves. The cold beverage swimming inside the glass.

"Write a dream, anything.. anything you remembered from your dream. And we will discuss it together. I can read it instead of you retelling your dream back to me. It's like writing your bad thoughts and discarding it out of your mind." Vic smiled reassuringly and I nodded.

"Okay." I sip the cold sweet tangy drink and feel myself relaxed.

"Thanks Tori..I didn't know what should I do. The thoughts are filling my head but none of them feel right." I sighed.

"One more thing.. what about writing it outdoor.. somewhere like here. I need you outside.. think of this as therapy..you need to be outside more. A change of scenery. A fresh air couldn't hurt you, love." She grinned like she just offered me a good idea.

I think of my study. I was comfortable in there but it won't hurt to do as Vic suggested. I need to unravel these strangers memories. There are not mine yet they greatly affected me.

There are nights when I woke up crying. My face damp from the tears.

My heart having an unsettling feeling inside. But I couldn't recognize any of them. Is it my memories or someone's else?

The breeze blew gently through the vines and small petals float down with the gentle breeze. 

"Think again at home. I have an appointment later. I'll send you home first, okay." Victoria smiled cheerfully. 

I finished my drink and followed Vic into the indoor cafe where every furniture and wall are painted white.

By the cashier counter, a glass display rack of cakes and sweets stole the attention to them. Jungkook, the server boy was wiping a table just unoccupied. He lift the tray of empty glasses and went to discard them in trolley for dirty glasses and dishes.

"You are leaving already, Tori - Nuna." He starts making way to the cashier counter.

"Yeah.. I am. Please take care of my friend, Jae from now on. I'm sure she'll visit here a lot after this. She's a writer.. her author's name is Choi Jinri." Victoria patted my back. Before placing the bill and a card with it.

" The drink was nice. I loved it." I reminded of the drink I had earlier and compliment it sincerely.

"I'm glad you like it. Let me suggest you something else another time." He print the receipt and offer it to Vic along with her card.

"We will come again for sure." Victoria reach for the receipt and keep it in her hand bag.

I left the Cafe with Vic. My head a bit aching and I had an urge to go home and start writing.

Victoria dropped me by my house. Entering the house, my house keeper was serving dinner. 

"Do you want to have dinner? I got stew and soft bread I just baked." She smiled and ushered me to sit at the table.

"Thank you, Miss Lee. Your stew is tempting. I couldn't refused it of course." I giggled.

After dinner.. I found myself in my study. I picked the white MacBook and while I'm coming out of the study. I skimmed at the books arranged neatly. My books wasn't there, the books I wrote.

My dad probably have them removed because I didn't remember anything when I woke up from coma. 

I spend days in silence trying to recollect my own memories. I only managed to recognize my dad and surprisingly Vic. She introduced herself as my friend. A psychologist.

And I knew her.. calling out her name..

"Tori.. Victoria." 

Song of the chapter:   

 Savina & Drones - Glass Bridge