track 1; rare (hyewon)

rare; loona oneshots

The last place Chaewon wanted to be was at her school’s annual Cherry Blossom festival. She anxiously paced back and forth, thinking of every possible excuse she could use to leave early. Maybe she could say her dog was sick? Or that she forgot about a really big test coming up? Before Chaewon could text one of the plethora of excuses running through her head, she felt a hand on her shoulder?

Oh God… was it Hyejoo?

“Chaewon! What are you doing? The ferris wheel just opened up!” Jiwoo squealed. Behind Jiwoo, a small girl peeked over her shoulders. It was Yeojin, just as excited as Jiwoo about tonight’s festivities. The three girls had been best friends for several years. They were all known for their bubbly personalities. 

“I-I-I was just checking in with my mom.” Chaewon lied. She was scrolling through Hyejoo’s twitter feed, checking to see if there were any tweets about being at the festival. Part of Chaewon never wanted to see Hyejoo again but a much larger part longed for her ex. All of things left unsaid before Hyejoo went on that trip to America over the summer. Now Hyejoo didn’t even go by her real name but instead Olivia. Chaewon wished she would’ve told her how beautiful she thought the name Hyejoo was.

“Come on. It will be fun. I pinky promise.” Yeojin said, sensing the tension in Chaewon’s voice. 

The girls began to race through the fairgrounds towards the giant ferris wheel. Underneath the night sky, it lit up an illuminating light pink. Vendors shouted about various street food and amusement park games. A girl passed by Chaewon holding a giant blue teddy bear. Jiwoo was momentarily distracted by an alien spaceship ride but Yeojin grabbed her.

Nothing could keep Chaewon away from the ferris wheel. It was a symbol of a fresh start. Maybe she could escape the past. Hyejoo would just become a memory. Their awful breakup would escape her head. Chaewon would be able to move on.

THUMP.

Chaewon tripped over a wire running across the fairground. All of her hopes were shattered as soon as they were created. She felt her face getting bright red as a crown started to draw around her. She heard a small snicker behind her.

It was Yves. She used to go by Sooyoung until she went to France two years ago. After that trip, Yves claimed she was spiritually reborn. Her idea of spiritual rebirth was eating vegetarian, saying random french phrases. And traveling. Traveling to places like America over the summer with the school. The same trip that Hyejoo went on. Yves was the one to convince Hyejoo to break up with Chaewon. And now Yves was standing above Chaewon, holding Hyejoo’s hand, and laughing.

“Chaewon” Jiwoo reached out to help her up but it was too late. Chaewon bolted away from everyone. Tears ran down her face. All of the pain she had been suppressing came rushing back. She hid behind a fishing game and tried to soothe her panic attack.

“Ma’am it’s only one ticket to play-”

“LEAVE ME ALONE!” Chaewon shouted at a short,stocky, vendor. The man, shocked by her tone, went back to his booth.

Chaewon sat on the grass and tried to calm down. Panic surrounded her. It was harder and harder to breathe. She kept gasping for just a tiny bit of air.

“Chaewon?” A familiar voice said. 

“What do you want Hyejoo? Are you here to laugh at me?” Chaewon muttered. She turned away, not being able to bare looking at Hyejoo. Chaewon knew if they made eye contact she would break down even further.

“Chaewon. Please” Hyejoo lowered herself to Chaewon’s level. Hyejoo put her arm around Chaewon’s shaking body. Chaewon wanted to pull away from Hyejoo’s grasp but she couldn’t. It made her feel safe.

“Chaewon, please look at me.” Chaewon turned towards Hyejoo. She was just as beautiful as ever. Hyejoo’s black hair was tied back, highlighting the features on her face. Her eyes were shining bright blue underneath the moonlight. Wait, blue?

“Hyejoo, your eyes aren’t blue.” Chaewon grabbed her hand.

“What? It’s just makeup, Chaewon.” Hyejoo was caught off guard. “That’s not important-”

“I don’t understand why you are doing all of this?” Chaewon sobbed. “Your name isn’t Olivia. Why are you ignoring all of your friends? I understand me, I-I-I messed up but what did Jiwoo do? Why are you with those mean girls?”

“Chaewon I didn’t know you cared-” Hyejoo started.

“You didn’t know? Hyejoo, I loved you. I still love you.” Chaewon looked into Hyejoo’s eyes. “I am sorry I never told you how amazing you are. You are perfect. If it’s my fault that you decided to change yourself I am so sorry because I would never want you to change anything. Your name and your eyes and your personality and you! You are perfect Hyejoo! I need you to know that.”

There was a moment of silence. Chaewon could hardly breathe. Her confession was shocking. Would Hyejoo laugh in her face?

“Hyejoo… I mean Olivia..I…” Chaewon stuttered. Their faces were only inches apart. Chaewon missed the feeling of being this close to Hyejoo. Her heart was going a million miles a minute. Before Chaewon could say anything else, Hyejoo kissed her.

“Huh?” Chaewon whispered.

“I want to spend forever with you?” Hyejoo said. They kissed again. 

The moment they kissed, fireworks burst in the sky. Red, blue, pink, and white sparks left all of the students in awe. Hyejoo and Chaewon didn’t notice though. 

It was a perfect moment so many people strive for. It was rare.