Chapter 5: Playground

The End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I did not know whose car it was but Mark opened the passenger door and gently pushed me inside. It was definitely not the one we came to the party with but he seemed to have a lot of friends in there so I figured he must have borrowed from one of them. After he sat behind the wheel, he leaned over. Instintively, I pulled my face away but he was just pulling the seatbelt to fasten it over me.

Stupid.

The sound of the engine turning on filled my ears and it felt too loud for me. He put his own seatbelt on before pulling away from the curb, occassionally looking behind to see where he was backing away from.

"Hey," I started when I realized something. "How many drinks did you have?"

"A few," he answered. "Where did you say your cousin's house was?"

I stared at him blankly. "I didn't say it. Jess was supposed to pick me up by eleven sharp."

"You mean you don't know their address?"

I blinked. I was sure I did. I had it in my phone somewhere, and I searched my pockets. When I found my phone, I also that it was dead. Nice. Mark took out his own phone and handed it to me. "Use mine."

"Wait," I said, taking his phone but staring out of the car. "I can't go home like this."

"Why not?"

"You said there was weed in that cake, right?" My brother was going to send me straight to Tartarus if he knew I partied in a stranger's house and had weed. For some reason, I knew Jess would know even if I did not tell her. It also explained the floating feeling that I had since I ate that cupcake. "I can't go home yet."

"I shouldn't have brought you there," Mark said, slamming his hand on the wheel. "What was I even thinking?"

"It was fun," I lied.

He stared at me in disbelief for a couple of seconds before turning his eyes back on the road. "I'm sorry I left you there. I invited you and couldn't even take care of you properly."

"Please," I said, rolling my eyes. My life had been filled with guys trying to protect me. Yunho. Chanyeol. Zico. "I'm not a baby. I don't need anyone taking care of me."

His hands was fumbling around the car, seeming to be looking for something. He also turned around a residential area and pulled over a quiet street. "You're right. I shouldn't take you home like this. Let's try to sober you up a little before we go. Here." He handed me a phone charger. "Charge your phone up so your cousin can contact you."

"Thanks," I said and connected it to my phone immediately. For someone whom I though had worse social skills than mine, he sure knew how to take care of someone. He rolled his window down and stretched his hand out. I did the same.

"Do you want some air?" he asked.

Was he going to give me CPR or something? When I nodded, Mark leaned in again but this time, to open the door from my side. I took a deep breath before stepping out. What was wrong with me?

He sat on the hood of the car and held his hand out to me as I tried to do the same. I took it and he helped me up, steadying me because I was still dizzy.

"Wow," I said after a moment of silence, the reality of what I just did back there came to me. "Finally, I get to experience a real American college party."

"It's not really that different from Korean ones."

I shrugged. "I never really go even to that," I admitted. "I'd rather stay at home and play all day."

Mark pressed his lips into a thin line. "I figured."

The night air was cool despite it being summer. I was starting to actuall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter