Chapter 4

Wisteria

Morning came the next day in the form of hot chocolate and pancakes, warms smiles and sparkling eyes.

“What are you smiling at?” Summer asked in the middle of their breakfast.

“Oh nothing~” She took a mouthful of the soft bread and grinned. “You really cook well. It’s delicious.”

Summer chewed slowly while keeping a skeptic eye on the other. Sooyeon took three layers of bite size pancakes into and hummed in delight. Summer raised a brow when she felt the other swing her feet under the table.

“Okay. I didn’t put anything on that…” Summer put down her fork and leaned back into her chair. “What’s up with you? You seem like to be a happy bunny today.”

“Well…” She played with the rim of her mug. “it’s because you’re here.”

Summer wrinkled her nose. “Lame excuse, I’m always here.”

“You don’t understand.” She reached for the bottle of syrup at the edge of the table but Summer beat her to it. “Thanks.” She happily squirted the syrup on her pancake then continued, “what I meant was you’re here…eating breakfast with me.”

Summer’s face brightened then looked down on her plate. “I asked someone to do me a favor.”

“You asked some soul to do the dirty work for you? Tsk. Tsk. How irresponsible.”

Summer’s eyes turned into slits. “And you have the guts to talk about being irresponsible. Are you talking about yourself young lady?”

Sooyeon scoffed and tilted her head to the side. She batted her eyelashes innocently. “As far as I know, we’re of the same age.”

“That’s just in number my dear.” Summer leaned into the table and poked Sooyeon’s forehead. “I DIED when I was 19. You were 7. Technically, it means that I’m 12 years older than you. I’m your unnie.” She looked up to the ceiling and thought of something. “If I’m still alive, I’d be…31.” Then her face contorted into something that resembled disgust. “I’m old.”

Sooyeon drew back her attention to her food. She practically shut out everything that the other said but one word still lingered in her ears. Unnie. The word hit a nerve because it means Summer’s like an older sister. There are two keywords that need attention here. One, ‘older’ it means that the other’s been born many years before her. Two, ‘unnie’ means that the other’s a girl. Oh great…Taboos in the society.

“But that doesn’t matter now, does it? You’re dead.” Sooyeon said flatly.

Summer winced and stabbed her fork into her pancakes. “Well, thank you captain obvious.”

Sooyeon ignored the other’s sarcasm and smiled. “Hurry up and finish your breakfast. Let’s go out and play.”

“Now you’re sounding like a seven year old…”

“I don’t care.” Sooyeon pouted. “C’mon!” She grabbed the other’s arm and dragged her out.

They were at some kind of forest when Summer managed to snatch her arm off of the younger’s grip. She leaned on a tree trunk and gasped for breath. Sooyeon put a hand on her hip and raised a brow.

“You have long legs yet you’re so slow.”

“Sorry to disappoint you but obviously, I’m not athletic.”

“You climbed ferris wheels and worked your off when you were alive.” Sooyeon looked around and wondered how they got there.

“That’s because I needed to. Can’t you see? I’m retired from all that work? Aish, I don’t even know if retired is the correct term for that.” She stretched her arms and rubbed her sore leg and mentally hitting the other girl on the head for making her dash for that long distance.

“I know what you do here Summer. You eat and eat and eat but don’t get enough exercise. And yes, Stephanie told me so.” Sooyeon said while trying to find a way out of the mess of plants and bushes. She can hear a soft gush of water and it got her curious.

“Forgive me for getting back at what I lack, Sooyeon. I think I ought to remind you that my tongue hasn’t enjoyed delicious sensations back down on Earth.” The taller finally got off the trunk and helped the other out.

“You turned out to be a malnutritioned walking stick with a big appetite.” Summer was about to say something when she Sooyeon’s gasp reached her ears. They finally cleared the leaves off the way, revealing a beautiful waterfalls. “Wow…”

Summer, on the other side, whined and face-palmed. “He’s spoiling you…”

“Hmmm?”

“Nothing…”

“Okay…” Sooyeon grabbed the other’s arm. “let’s go there.”

“Where?”

“There…” Sooyeon pointed to the top of the falls.

Summer quickly grabbed unto a random plant’s branch. “Oh no…no…no…”

The other almost fell down on the ground as Summer pulled her back. She redeemed her balance and glared at the other. “whaaaat???”

“L-let’s just s-stay here…”

“Why? You scared of heights?”

“No! I saved you remember? Isn’t that proof enough that I’m not afraid of heights?”

Sooyeon’s face spelled outright confusion. “Okay…you’ve proven your point. Let’s go up there…I’ve wanted to try this since forever.” She pulled on the other’s arm again and continued to drag her to the top.

“J-just promise me we won’t j-jump.” Summer whispered and the wind brought it to her ears. She stopped and turned around, her eyes softly reading the other’s face. Summer’s cheeks turned a shade of pink .

“Care to tell me what it is about?” Sooyeon moved to the other side and curling her hands on the other’s arms.

Summer nodded and started walking. Sooyeon matched the others steps, shuffling her feet to be in sync with the other’s. Satisfied with what she sees, she turned her eyes to the other. She nudged Summer. “Tell me…”

Summer sighed. “I can’t swim.” There she said it. Summer squeezed her eyes shut and prepared herself to the other’s laughs. She felt the smaller one shake but no laugh comes out. She looked down at her and saw her muffling her laugh with her left hand.

“It’s okay…” Sooyeon patted her back. “You said ‘live your life to the fullest’. Then let’s do it. Here’s our chance. The rush will kick your system to life.” They continued to walk and with each step the falls seemed to be closer like they just took a shortcut or something.

“But what if I drown?”

This time Sooyeon laughed, her voice echoed throughout the forest. “You’re afraid of that? Summer…we’re in heaven. You can’t die twice.”

“B-but s-still-”

“Don’t worry. I know how to swim.” Sooyeon reassured. “Ta-daa! We’re here!” she took a peek of the water below. “It’s so beautiful…the water’s so nice…”

“Sooyeon…” the keeper whined.

The said girl slid her hand down to the other’s hand and squeezed it tightly. “Trust me.” She looked up and stared at her Summer’s eyes. “At the count of three, we’ll jump. One….two…”

“Wait! Are we going to jump at the third count or after you say the-”

“THREE!” Sooyeon jumped and pulled Summer with her.

SPLASH

Summer moved her hands through the water, trying to find something or someone to hold on to. She opened her eyes and looked for Sooyeon’s figure. She tried to call out to the other but water invaded and started to push through her lungs. She panicked and felt herself sinking when a pair of hands grabbed her and pulled her up.

Upon reaching the surface, she gasped for air and wrapped her arms around Sooyeon’s shoulders. The other patted her back. “Shh… you’re okay. You’re okay.”

When she felt herself getting back to normal again she muttered, “t-thanks…”

“told you I can swim.” Sooyeon held on the other’s waist and floated around. “I love to sooyoung. I love sooyoung” she said in a sing-song voice.

Summer chuckled at the play of words and felt her breathing back to normal again but still, her heart beat against her chest rapidly and her blood rushed through her body as if she’s alive again. I missed this feeling. She thought.

And with that, she felt a little upset because…well, reality hurts. She’s a soul stuck here in heaven and it’ll take forever for her to reincarnate again. Big boss wants to keep her here, he trusts and treasures her that much.

“I’ll teach you how to swim, okay?” Sooyeon cut her thoughts.

Summer managed a smile despite a sinking feeling in her gut. “Sure.”

And they spent half of their day like that. They trudged back to their cabin hand in hand, all wet and giggling to their heart’s content.

After lunch and a bath, they rested for a bit then went out again and found a playground.

“Swings! C’mon Summer push me.” Sooyeon sat down and held on to the metal chains. Summer poised herself at the other’s back.

“Ready? Here we go…” Summer pushed her lightly. Sooyeon remembered their talk that morning. “Unnie…” She said and gladly, Summer didn’t hear it. The word tasted like poison on her tongue. She remembered the taboos: Summer’s older than her and she’s a girl. isn’t something that bothers Sooyeon easily but uality does. It’s been a sensitive topic in their country and even in their small household. The last time she checked, she’s straight but that didn’t stop her from admiring Summer too much. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“Yah. Are you asleep?” There was a hint of teasing in Summer’s voice.

“If I was asleep, then I should’ve fallen off…”

“Just checking~” the swing slowed down. “It’s time to go home.”

---
They were at the top of the waterfalls again. This time Summer’s leading the countdown.

“One…two…”

Sooyeon looked up at Summer who flashed her a smile.

“Three!”

They jumped, their hands clasped together and their fingers interlaced. A rush came over her from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. Then she heard a beep somewhere. She didn’t pay much attention to it because maybe her ears are playing a prank on her. When she reached the cold water, blood pumped to her heart so fast that it seemed like it kicked her back into life. Then there was a beep again, a little louder than before. Fear started to rise as she swam to the surface. What if? What if…I’m alive again? She opened her eyes and saw a faint light and a familiar silhouette.

She heard a ‘She’s back!’ and a ‘Honey! Sooyeon woke up!’

No…no…no! her mind screamed. Sooyeon started to cry…please…not yet…

“Sooyeon! Wake up!” someone shook her shoulder. “Wake up!”

“No! I don’t want to go back!”

“Sooyeon, it’s me!”

Summer? She finally opened her eyes and when Summer’s worried eyes shot at her, she felt relieved. She threw her arms around the other and buried her face at the crook of her neck. “Summer…”

“Shh…stop crying.”

“Please…don’t send me back. I want to stay here.” Sooyeon continued to wail.

“I thought we talked about this.”

Sooyeon just clung to her tighter. Whimpers of protests escaped . She doesn’t want to go back. “Please Summer?”

“No. You should go back now. The more time you spend here, the more it’ll be hard for you to leave.” Actually, Summer doesn’t want her to leave either but a promise is a promise.

*flashback*

“Boss, just this once. Please…” She tried to give her best ageyo even though she knew it doesn’t have any effect on the other.

“You’re telling me to give you a day off just to spend some time with your friend?”

Summer nodded. “Just this once.”

“What’ll you do then?”

Summer shrugged. “Anything she wants to do.”

“Even if it something you fear of?”

Summer’s eyes grew wide. “Uhm…let’s make an exception-”

“Nope. It’s Sooyeon’s day tomorrow so no exceptions.” The boss smiled in victory as he saw Summer’s shoulders sag. Then he turned serious again. “After that, promise me you’ll send her back. You decided to revive her, so do it. You have to take responsibility for your actions.”

“Yes boss. I understand.”

“Good.”

*end*

A while ago, when Sooyeon was sleeping, she decided that it’s the best time to revive her. But when she saw Sooyeon slowly fading away, she can’t help but notice a strange feeling inside her- like a punch to the stomach so instead of feeling good she felt the opposite. She just had to wake her up and at elast say good bye.

“But Summer, I like-”

“Sooyeon, It’s time to go back.” Summer stared at her with pleading eyes because she knows if Sooyeon finished her sentence, Summer will never let her go. She just had to get this done now or she’ll never get this over with.

Defeated, Sooyeon just let her go and look down with tears still flowing out of her puffy eyes. “O-okay…” then she sniffed and smiled. “Can I ask for one last thing?”

Summer stopped and contemplated for a while.

“It’s not much I swear.”

---

At the gate, two figures are wrapped in a hug. “Thank you for everything. Thank you for the advice.” Leaned into the embrace.
Summer ruffled her hair. “Thank you for taking them. Don’t worry, I’ll still be watching over you.”

Sooyeon let go and removed her necklace. “This is yours now.”

“But-”
“A souvenir in exchange for this.” Sooyeon raised the purple flower in her hand.

Summer bent her head down and allowed the shorter girl to put it around her neck. “Thank you…”

“Don’t forget me.”

“I won’t. I promise.”

Sooyeon sighed contentedly and turned around. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

---

She woke up to that beeping sound and this time no doctor or nurse flocked to her, she wondered why. She moved her eyes to the couch. There, she saw her mom lying on her dad’s lap.

She felt tears sting the back of her eyes again because she can’t smell Summer’s scent anymore. It’s been covered by the weird smell of alcohol and bleach.

Then she remembered her souvenir.

She opened her right palm and there it is again.

“Wisteria…” she brought it to her nose and smelled it. “I cling to thee my dearest Summer.”

In her heart she knows that this is not the last time she’ll be here. She won’t allow it to be. She has to see Summer again soon. She’ll find a way to talk to her and see her again.

“Wait for me, Summer.”