Happy Valentine's Day

After Hours [oneshot]

“Delivery,” the mail deliverer announced, waiting for Jiyong to sign for the package.

Jiyong grumbled as he took off his headset. Not another bouquet of roses. He signed for the flowers and walked straight towards his boss’ office. Knocking on the door, he let himself in, knowing that she was on a conference call. He placed the roses with the others by her window overlooking downtown Los Angeles. He gazed at the smog filled sky and sighed feeling a homesick for Korea.

Kwon Jiyong, twenty-four, moved to Los Angeles to expand his horizons. Without the encouragement of his family, he managed to get by with the help of his old childhood friend Lee Seunghyun. Lee Seunghyun’s family owned an investment bank with offices around the world. With Seungri by Jiyong’s side, the two lived in a bachelor pad and worked at the L.A. office. They had both started off as interns, but through nepotism Seungri advanced to being a banker straight away, while Jiyong was promoted a year ago to be Seungri’s cousin’s secretary.

The job paid slightly more than minimum wage, but that is not what kept him around. He looked over his shoulder at Lee Chaerin sitting at her desk. She smiled at him while she talked on the phone. He smiled back shyly and adjusted his glasses as he walked out of her office. Sitting at his desk, turned his chair around to face her office door. From his desk, he watched her hair sway. He could see her skirt ride up her thighs as she swiveled from side to side in her chair. Jiyong could tell she was bored on the call right now. After a year of working for her, he had gotten to know her very well. It was part of his job, but some things weren’t. Like courting here.

When Seungri got word that his friend had a crush on his cousin, he couldn’t believe it. “Her?” he had asked. “That cat?” Back then, Chaerin had dressed more homely. Her hair wasn’t the blond shade it is now, and she had always worn pant suits or large sweaters to work. But once she became an executive, her look changed. She wore well-fitted designer suits and the occasional dress or skirt on a special day. Today must be a special day for her.

Something that never changed was her collection of heels. Jiyong noticed them the minute he offered her coffee his first day. He assumed the boost in height gave her more confidence as she strutted around the office. She constantly had to prove herself to her elders and the men in the industry as the youngest executive in the company at the age of 25.

The phone rang breaking him out of his reverie. “Lee Chaerin’s office,” he answered with his most professional voice.

“Yeah, can I talk to Chae?” asked a familiar voice.

Out of protocol, Jiyong asked, “May I ask who’s speaking?” Jiyong rolled his eyes, knowing the answer that was coming.

“It’s T.O.P,” the voice said. Jiyong looked at the lines and saw that Chaerin was off her conference call.

“One moment please,” he said drly as he pressed the hold button, then connected himself to Chaerin’s line.


“Ji?” asked Chaerin.

“Ms. Lee, Mr. T.O.P is on line 2,” said Jiyong.

“Oh ok,” she said softly.

If Jiyong was hearing correctly, he swore he heard hesitation on her voice. Chaerin had been seeing the restaurateur, T.O.P, on occasion. At the encouragement of her family to settle down, they insisted she date. She dated often, but to Jiyong’s relief, she wasn’t exclusive with anyone. However, she was so charming and charismatic, the suitors were persistent. With each dozen of red roses that came through her doors, she would sigh. Another bouquet ordered online by someone’s assistant.

 


For a couple of hours, Jiyong did some paper work, but at around PM, something strange happened. Chaerin walked to his desk and leaned against it. He looked up as he saw her hand come into his view.

“Can you stay late tonight? You don’t have to if you have any plans. I know it’s Valentine’s Day, but I need a little help with something,” she mumbled quickly.

Just as fast, Jiyong answered, “No. I mean, yes, I can stay. I don’t have any plans.”

Chaerin smiled and nodded, then headed back into her office, closing the door behind her.

Usually when he had to stay late, she would e-mail or text him. She rarely went to his desk personally. He hoped he wasn’t getting fired.


The remaining two hours passed by slowly, but now the office was empty, leaving Chaerin in her corner office, while Jiyong sat at his desk, waiting to proceed with his boss’ orders.

A knock on the door broke the steady humming of the computers in the office. Jiyong got up to receive another package for Chaerin. Hopefully, the last one for the day. As he shook it lightly on his way to her office, he recognized it as another box of chocolates. Knocking on her door and letting himself in, he realized he had interrupted her. She had been in the middle of a Skype call.

Chaerin’s eyes widened at his presence, then quickly closed the chat.

“Sorry, you scared me,” she said while placing a hand on her chest.

Jiyong’s eyes followed her hand. “I’m sorry. I should have waited outside.” He waved the box of chocolates at her and set them with the others.

Before Jiyong could head out, Chaerin stopped him and asked if he could take a seat. He grabbed a chair and sat in front of her desk. Chaerin shook her head and pulled up a chair next to him.

“It’d be weird if I sat behind my desk for this,” she bit her lip not quite looking at him.

He nodded, trying to play it cool.

“Jiyong, I don’t think we can work together any more.”

Jiyong looked up with a jolt. “I’m sorry, but what?” He didn’t expect it to actually happen.

“Oh no. That stupid Skype call with Bom unnie messed up what I had prepared,” Chaerin waved her arms at him, trying to regain her focus. “We won’t be working together. You and I, but you’re still part of the company.” Embarrassed by her delivery of the news, she continued, “You’ll be working under someone that can help advance your career here like a mentor.”

While he was relieved he still had a job, he still had a thought. “Why can’t we work together?” he asked with a pout.

“I-I have a crush on you,” she blurted out. “And it wouldn’t be professional, if I did this.” She got up and leaned forward to approach a shocked Jiyong. She put her knee between his legs to hold her weight and she climbed upon him and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. She pulled away closing her eyes savoring the kiss, but when she opened her eyes Jiyong was still in shock.

“Oh my god. I’m sorry. I thought... I thought the feeling was mutual.” She placed fingers to her lips.

Before she could sneak away, Jiyong pulled her by the waist and kissed her. His tongue begged for entrance as his fingers ran down her long blond locks, then over her knee and up her thigh. He tried to put in all the feeling he had been holding back all of these years.

Needing air, they broke the kiss. “I like you, too,” said Jiyong breathily finally confessing.

Chaerin laughed. “Your glasses are fogging up. It’s cute.”

After an hour of more smooches and ordering delivery, the two sat on the conference table facing each other.

Jiyong reached out and linked their fingers. “It’s nice being able to talk to you casually like this,” he admitted.

“Yeah, none of that Ms. Lee stuff anymore.”

“Maybe for roleplaying,” he said with a wink.

“Wow. Who knew you were a ert?” she laughed. "No wonder Seungri is friends with you."

“Well, I can’t help it when you wear those skirts and the fishnets,” he said with a far away look.

“You noticed,” she blushed while looking at her meal.

“Of course.”

“I did it for you. To get you to notice me,” she admitted.

A surprised Jiyong leaned in to kiss her cheek. He couldn’t get enough of her.

“You didn’t have to do that. I noticed you from the beginning. Your sparkling eyes. You looked like a kitten.”

Chaerin shook her head at the compliment. “Um... so Seungri told me that you two go out to clubs and party a lot, so you're used to seeing girls dressed all fancy.” Chaerin took a sip from her drink as she awaited his answer.

“Yes, to get my mind off of you," he teased.

“Ah, you're a smartass.” She poked him with her bare foot.

“I try,” he said with a grin.

At around midnight, they started to clean up and head out of the office. While Jiyong helped her with her coat, he asked, “What are you going to do with the gifts?”

“I’ll probably donate the flowers to charity and regift the chocolates. I’m not really interested in typical gifts like that. Anyway, you’re the best gift a girl could ask for.” She hugged him and kissed him again.

“That reminds me. I almost forgot.” He stepped out to retrieve her gift for her from his bottom desk drawer. Before he could hand it to her, she grabbed it from his arms and hugged the large Rilakkuma bear holding a heart tightly to her chest.

“OH MY GOD. I LOVE IT!” she screamed. Luckily, they were the only two on the floor.

“How did you know?” she asked.

He scratched the back of his neck as he explained, “Your desktop background has bears.” Chaerin, a very private person, had asked him to show her how to do something on her computer months ago. She had maximized the screen before he could comment on it.

“This is perfect,” she said dreamily. She hugged her new plush to her side as Jiyong wrapped his arms around his new girlfriend.

Neither one could believe the Valentine’s Day they just had. Los Angeles looked real good to Jiyong right now.