What a Catch

Check Out

Chapter 2

Still Sunday morning:

 

Sana pulled into the parking lot of her apartment complex, remembering that she lived on the third floor. I have to carry these bags? I have school tomorrow! Nonetheless, she managed, and was at her apartment door without needing a trip to the hospital. Not-so-gently placing her bags on the floor by the door, Sana slumped against the wall, trying to regain her breath. Once she felt sufficiently recovered, she knocked on the door.

Nobody answered.

Not one to be easily discouraged, Sana knocked again.

Met with no answer, Sana stared blankly at the door. What am I going to do? Momo took my keys… I could always go back and see Tzuyu again‒ 

The door finally swung open. Sana looked up to see Mina standing in the doorway, Momo not too far behind. 

“Finally! What took you so long to answer the door? Were you playing music or something? I was standing here for a while, you know,” Sana scolded her roommates.

“Oh, we knew. We just wanted to mess with you.” Mina shrugged at the blonde’s incredulous stare and walked into their apartment. Sana started to follow before realizing she almost just left their food for the week in the hallway.

Once she had all the groceries in her arms, Sana placed the bags on the kitchen counter, just like Momo always did. Sana didn’t bother unloading the bags though (leaving that to Mina), since she didn’t know where anything really went. She just stood near the sink, lost in thought, with a small smile on her face. As Mina placed all the groceries where they belonged, she noticed that Sana wasn’t acting someone who had just been forced to do groceries. I wonder if she met someone… 

Mina, finished with the groceries, walked over to the couch, where Momo was on her phone. She seemed to be texting someone, but put her phone down to pay attention when Mina came closer. Mina glanced over at Sana, who was still smiling while staring into space, before talking quietly to Momo,

“Sana seems a little… distracted. On any other day, Sana would be complaining and whining for us to make it up to her for sending her out in the morning all alone. Do you think she met someone?”

Momo tilted her head and thought for a minute. “I think so, but I’m not a hundred percent sure. Why don’t we just ask; we can about it or something.”

Mina nodded in agreement, and the pair walked over to the blonde. Mina cleared to get Sana’s attention, but Sana didn’t look up until Momo tapped her on the shoulder. At least Sana had the decency to look embarrassed when Momo singsonged, “Is our Sana thinking about someone? Has someone finally caught her eye?”

“It’s not like that, it’s just‒”

Mina knew better than to let Sana talk herself into denial, leading them to sit at the table. She took things into her own hands, asking, “You met someone didn’t you?”

“Someone tall and beautiful, right?” Momo added.

Mina and Momo quickly made eye contact, silently agreeing that there was no point in hiding why they sent Sana to the grocery store.

“I bet she goes to our school…”

“Maybe she’s really athletic…”

Sana just looked at them, completely missing what they were getting at. Just what were her roommates talking about?

Momo bit the bullet: “You met Tzuyu, right?”

“How did you know???” Sana had never been so confused in her life. Were they spying on me or something? Ehhhh?

“Relax, Satang. We know her. She and Momo used to work out together, and Momo always begs for discounts at the market. She's in my english class.”

“We just got tired of you bumming around in our apartment all day, so we decided you needed a girlfriend. And to do more chores; Mina’s tired of cleaning up after you.”

Sana froze. This was too much information at once: Tzuyu used to work out? I need a girlfriend? Ch… Chores? The blonde noiselessly moved , struggling to make sense of the situation. So, of course, her brain latched onto the simplest thought:

“Oh, working out explains why her arms are so toned.” 

Of course that’s what she remembers… 

Sana buried her face in her hands, slumping over the table. Why am I like this; I’ll never live this down. Mina and Momo are going to tease me forever.

Sana’s roommates glanced at each other excitedly; this was almost going too well. Tzuyu (and her biceps) had definitely made an impression on Sana. Now they just needed to make sure Tzuyu felt the same way. They knew the younger girl was too nice to straight up turn someone down, but she wouldn’t really open up to people she wasn’t close with. Momo figured she could get Sana to catch Tzuyu’s attention, and Mina just wanted Sana to stop sitting around all day. 

Turning to Sana, who was lying on the table, Momo ventured, “Sooo, did you learn anything about her? Did you flirt at all?”

Sana looked up at Momo, but didn’t move her head. “No, nothing," she whined, "I just know she’s a sophomore at our school and she works at the grocery store on Sunday. I don’t even know if she works on other days.”

    Upon realizing how depressing her current situation was, Sana now placed her arms on top of her head, shielding herself from the judgemental stares of her roommates. “I know, I know. I’ve got absolutely no chance with her.”

    Mina and Momo wanted to laugh at Sana, but they knew she wouldn’t take it very well. So instead, they offered her a lifeline: “Listen. We know Tzuyu pretty well, okay? We can find out her schedule or something, and you can “bump into her” or something, alright? We think you actually have a chance, so don’t give up. You can see her at school tomorrow or something.”

Sana finally looked up, making eye contact with both of her roommates. “Really? You would do that for me?”

Both her roommates could barely choke out their reasons as the blonde threw her arms around the two and pulled them close.

 

-    -    -

 

On Monday, Sana actually woke up as soon as her alarm went off, not laying on her bed for ages like she usually did. Her mind was racing with potential scenarios of how the day would play out, and she was quick to splash her face with cold water to calm herself down. After following her morning routine and getting ready for school, Sana went downstairs to find Mina’s car. All three of the girls had the same classes at the beginning and end of the day, so they always shared a ride. Sana had her own car, but she preferred not to drive if she didn’t have to. Besides, Mina was the safest driver out of the three. 

Sana was the last one down (like always), and as soon as she got in the backseat and buckled the seatbelt, Mina started pulling out of the parking lot.

 

     -    -    -

 

The trio’s first class each day was Advanced Japanese. They didn’t really need the class (obviously) but took it for language credits and to have a class together. As the teacher went on and on about some Japanese phrase Sana was sure she learned years ago, her mind turned to something far more interesting: Tzuyu.

Last night Momo had done some “digging”‒ Sana didn’t really want to know what that meant‒ and had found out Tzuyu’s entire schedule, texting it to Sana before they even had dinner last night. Sana had quickly taken a screenshot, and was now looking at the screenshot under the table, thinking about the best time to bump into the tall girl. 

The blonde quickly ruled out a “meeting” before lunch, as, like most students, Tzuyu wasn’t very likely to be fully awake then. Since Sana had 5th period (right after lunch) off, maybe the blonde could find Tzuyu after she was done eating and walk the younger girl to her class. That way, she could have some time alone with her, and maybe get to know her. I don’t know, okay? I’m desperate. Even just seeing her and  hearing her voice again is enough. Sana froze (not that she had been moving much anyway). Damn, I’m in deep.

Finally having a plan she was satisfied with, Sana shook off her thoughts and put her phone away, ignoring the amused looks Mina and Momo sent her way.

 

-    -    -    

 

Sana and Mina had packed their lunches the night before, unlike Momo who just threw random foods into her bag. 

The three usually sat with several other upperclassmen, who they’d come to know during their time at this school. The one other junior was Jihyo, and Nayeon and Jeongyeon were seniors. Jeongyeon, Momo, and Jihyo shared Home Economics, and Mina shared Precalculus and Physics with Jihyo as well. Nayeon, Jeongyeon, and Jihyo all were in Yearbook, also having 7th period off. Those three had basically grown up together, and weren’t going to let an separate them. 

While Nayeon was being dramatically telling a story about a rude customer she had had at work the day before, Momo nudged Sana with her shoulder, getting her attention, and motioned to a table not too far from them. 

Sana looked around, not seeing anything unusual. “What is it? What are we looking at here?”

Momo facepalmed before answering, “It’s her right there. Tzuyu sits at that table every day, talking with her friends unless someone needs something. Sometimes they go and talk on the field.”

Ohhhh… I should remember this.“Thank you so much, Momo! You’re the best!” Sana whispered loudly.

Momo sighed. The things she does to keep Sana happy. Sana better buy her tons of food after all of this.

 

-     -    -    

 

The bell signalling the end of lunch had just rung, and now the cafeteria was filled with students milling around. Sana had spent almost the entire lunch sneaking looks at Tzuyu’s unsuspecting back, and she had packed up her stuff early to maximize her time with the green-haired girl. After quickly saying goodbye to the people at her table, Sana looked around again.

Said girl was still surrounded by her friends, but they were wrapping up the conversations, each heading to their own classes. It wasn’t long before Tzuyu was alone and started walking to her class (Sana knew it was Korean, having memorized the girl’s schedule from staring at it all day) and the blonde saw her chance. 

Hoisting her bag over her shoulder, Sana made her way to where Tzuyu was standing, waiting for the bottleneck at the doors of the cafeteria to lessen. Sana was thinking of how she should make her approach when something collided with her back, sending her forward.

Sana, being Sana, of course tripped, sending her straight into the arms of the girl of her dreams. Well, kind of. Sana lost her balance and tripped over her feel with a squeal, and Tzuyu, turning to see what the commotion was about, just happened to be right in her path. Sana didn’t fall into Tzuyu’s arms so much as her chest, and the taller girl let out an audible oof. As soon as she had realized what happened, Sana took a step back and bowed her head, not daring to look up at the taller girl. 

The blonde was in the middle of stuttering out apologies when she felt a (warm) hand on her shoulder, and a soft voice telling her to look up.

“Sana, right? It’s not a big deal, okay? I’m just glad you didn’t get hurt,” Tzuyu comforted, unaware of the effect she had on the older girl.

“...” Sana was in the middle of a gay panic attack. Oh God, she’s touching me!! She even said my name… and she didn’t want me to get hurt. Oh my God, what do I‒ 

“Y-yeah. Thank you for c-catching me.” Sana suddenly had an idea and kept talking, “You have to let me make it up to you somehow. Let’s walk to your class, you shouldn’t be late.” Sana took a couple steps out the door before she realized that Tzuyu had stopped.

Tzuyu chuckled at Sana’s actions, asking, “Do you even know where you’re going?”

“Of course… not. How would I know that, I’m not psychic. And I met you… yesterday… “ Sana trailed off, having barely managed to cover her for almost slipping up and revealing what she knew about the green-haired girl. It’s really only been a day, huh? 

Tzuyu just chuckled again before gently tugging on Sana’s elbow. “My next class is Korean, but it’s halfway across the school. Are you sure you want to walk me all the way? I don’t want you to be late for your class” They both started walking towards the sophomore building.

“Oh! You don’t have to worry about me being late, actually. I have this period off.”

“You’re so lucky. I have all seven periods, and I have work on weekends. Korean is actually my worst subject, but I have my friends to help me out.

Sana saw her chance and took it. “I can help you!!!” Realizing how that could come off as forceful, Sana added, “Since I have nothing after school… And only if you want, obviously. I took that class last year so I might be able to help you, y’know, from a foreigner’s perspective.”

“I would appreciate that a lot, thank you.”

The two spent the rest of the walk in silence, with Sana blatantly staring up at the girl, a big grin on her face the whole time. 

Upon arriving at Tzuyu’s class, the green-haired girl bowed slightly to the older girl.

“It was nice talking to you, Sunbae.”

Sana was disappointed that their time talking was so short, and she couldn’t help the slight pout on her face when she waved goodbye to the underclassman.

The rest of Sana’s off period was spent visiting the rest of Tzuyu’s classes, with the girl never leaving Sana’s mind.

 

 

AN: I finally updated!! I hope you guys like this chapter. I have most of this story planned out now, and hopefully I can update a lot more often.