Sana Gets Kicked Out

Check Out

Sunday morning: 

 

You know, Sana thinks to herself, shopping list in one hand and basket in the other, for someone who hasn’t gone grocery shopping in ages, I’m actually a lot better at this than I thought. I just have a couple more things to grab before I can go home.

Sana had had a rather rough morning: barely after she had eaten and gone through her daily routine, Sana’s roommates had thrown a shopping list, a long coat, and her purse at her, and essentially shoved her out their room. Locking her out in the autumn weather. (Sana had her key ring, with all her keys and keychains, but her roommates had removed her key to the room). When she had tried to reason with the other Japanese to let her back in, she had been shut down almost immediately ‒ Mina, with Momo backing her up, had declared that until Sana returned with every item on the list, she wouldn't be allowed back into their room. When Sana brought up that they shared the room, she was thrown some lame excuse: something about her finally doing her part.

Finally realizing that she really didn’t have a choice in the matter, Sana put on her coat and walked down to her car, grumbling all the while. Her roommates were lucky she had no plans today; When she got back they would have a lot of explaining to do.

Dragging her thought process back to the task at hand, Sana looked over at the list of ingredients her roommates had given her. Most of the items listed were fairly normal, like sliced bread and cheese. Much to her displeasure however, there were also some more unusual ingredients; Sana wasn’t even sure she had ever heard of a lotus root, much less knew what one looked like. Tightening her grip on her shopping basket, Sana took a deep breath and slowly let it out. She was newly determined to cross off everything on the list and find out why the hell Mina and Momo had kicked her out.

 

- - -

 

It had almost worked. Using her newfound focus, Sana had quickly found the remaining foods on the list ‒ all except for one. That damned lotus root had come back to haunt her, it seemed. Sana was tired, sure, but she wasn’t about to give up. If she returned without all the ingredients Mina and Momo wanted, that would prove whatever point they were making, not to mention Sana still wouldn’t be allowed back into their room. Sana had wandered the store’s aisles for almost an hour now, and she still couldn’t find that godforsaken vegetable. She didn’t even know why it was on the list, for God’s sake; her roommates had never had an interest in cooking.

A normal person would have asked a nearby worker for help long ago, but not Sana. During all her internal monologues, the thought of asking someone whose job was literally to help customers find things never crossed the blonde’s mind. Well, until now.

Realizing how she was giving her roommates’ blonde jokes credibility, Sana looked for someone who looked like they knew what they were doing. Spotting someone restocking cans further down the aisle, she wondered how she had ignored the employees this whole time. They all wore a bright red apron. 

This particular employee had short hair and was kneeling when Sana approached her. Clasping her hands behind her back, Sana leaned over and asked, “Excuse me, can you help me find something?”

Chaeyoung stood (Sana read her nametag), making Sana realize how small the girl was. “Yep! Just tell me what you need and I’ll do my best to help you find it.”

“Have you ever heard of something called a lotus root?”

Chaeyoung cocked her head, then shook it. “Can’t say I have, sorry about that. Is there anything else you need help with?”

“No, just the lotus root. You don’t have to worry, it’s fine.” Sana was ready to turn around and leave (ready to have to beg in the hallway to be let back into her own apartment), when the employee offered: 

“I can ask some of the other employees for you, if you’d like? Maybe one of them can help you.”

“That would be great, thank you!” Sana was relieved she wouldn’t have to embarrass herself in her building’s very open hallway again (Three times was bad enough).

“Don’t thank me, I’m just doing my job. Just follow me and we’ll find what you’re looking in a jiffy!” With that, Chaeyoung spun on her heel, and led Sana to the back of the grocery store, where two employees were talking. Both were leaning against the wall, wearing red aprons. Sana noticed that both of them were taller than her, though that was where their similarities ended. One had shorter hair, a light brown, while the other had long hair, dyed a blueish-green. Sana stood at a polite distance as Chaeyoung approached the pair, the especially-short-in-comparison employee choosing to speak to the worker with short hair. Sana tried to be polite and mind her own business, but she couldn’t help but overhear their conversation:

“So then Nabongs and I‒ Oh, hey, Chaeng, what’s up?” the one with short hair asked.

“Jeong, you know what a lotus root is? I’ve got a customer who’s searching for it, but to be honest I didn’t know those were a thing. Please say you can help.” 

Sana was mildly surprised at how different Chaeyoung sounded. How could this person be the same one who went so far out of their way to help her? 

“Chae, I’ve got no clue. I mean, I’ve heard of lotus root dishes, but I don’t think I've ever seen one. Sorry.”

She was about to walk back to Sana and apologize when the other employee ‒ green hair ‒ placed a hand on Chaeyoung’s shoulder, talking to the other employees.

“Unnies, you guys . You both don’t know what lotus root is? I’m so disappointed in you guys, the tallest employee said. “The lotus roots are in the back, I’ll take her there myself.” Her nametag read Tzuyu. Sana didn’t know how to pronounce that so she just prayed that she wouldn’t have to. She would hate to embarrass herself in front of such a beauty… Huh? 

Kicking off the wall and walking over to Sana, Tzuyu greeted, “Sorry. I can show you the lotus roots. Follow me?”

Sana get a hold of yourself. You came here for groceries not to stare at this girl. You don’t even know how to say her name. But like, she’s so cool… and pretty… Hold on! Does she think I , because I don’t know what a lotus root is? Is she disappointed in me? Sana was jolted out of her thoughts when she noticed Tzuyu 10 feet away, looking at her curiously.

“Are you coming? The lotus roots are usually in the back, because they’re kind of unusual in Korea. I’m Tzuyu, if you didn’t know. Don’t worry too much about pronouncing my name: just pronounce it like I did.”

Sana felt like she just got punched in the heart. Her accent… It’s so cute! I know I’m supposed to be mad at Mina and Momo, but now I’m kind of grateful they sent me here. If they hadn’t kicked me out and made me buy groceries, I never would’ve known about Tzuyu! (Sana was free to daydream now that she knew how to say the girl’s name)

The pair walked along the wall of the grocery store until they reached a closed door, labeled Employees Only

Tzuyu opened the door and turned to face Sana, asking, “Do you want to come in? I can show you what we have in stock. Hopefully you find what you need.” She held the door open with one hand while gesturing for Sana to enter with the other.

“O-oh! Sure! That would be great, t-thank you so much!,” Sana spluttered, slightly startled by the offer. She walked quickly into the room, hoping her face wasn’t as red as it felt. If her roommates were here, they would be laughing their asses off right now, Sana just knew it. Of course the moment I talk to a pretty girl I lose all my cool. I was perfectly fine earlier!

Looking around the storage room, Sana was amazed by all the boxes she saw. There were shelves from wall to wall, all filled with boxes of different shapes and sizes. When she turned back to Tzuyu, went dry. 

Tzuyu’s biceps were amazing. The shirt Tzuyu was wearing did nothing to hide the girl’s muscles as she pulled the box out from the shelf like it was nothing. Her arm muscles are so defined… does she work out? I mean, she’s tall. Maybe she plays basketball? But that’s not really an arms thing… I wonder how they fee‒ 

Tzuyu walked over and placed the box on a table, which audibly creaked uder its weight . Grabbing a pair of scissors, the green-haired girl cut the tape on the box and opened the flaps. “Um, Miss… Miss. Does this look like what you were looking for?”

Sana! You gotta stop drifting off! She probably thinks you’re a weirdo now! “Uh, you can call me Sana! And I’m pretty sure this is what Mina asked for…” Sana blurted, trailing off. She debated explaining her current situation to the other girl but then thought the story didn’t really paint herself in a positive light.

“Mina? The junior? No, that makes sense… I think I’ve seen you guys together at school, with Momo,” Tzuyu asked. “I’ve seen you around.”

Sana was shocked. “You know my roommates?”

Tzuyu looked thoughtful for a second, placing a hand on her chin before answering, “Well, I didn’t know you guys were roommates, but I’ve definitely seen you guys at school. Mina’s in my English class. As for Momo, she’s like a regular here. We see her almost every week.”

The tall girl’s prior statement finally sank in. (Sana had always been a little slow)

“Wait! You go to JYP High School too?” Sana was bewildered to learn this. I think I would’ve noticed a cutie like you walking around at my school. Sana, focus.

 Tzuyu placed a hand over her heart and pretended to look hurt. “Ouch, you don’t remember me? Mina helped me with English at lunch once; I came over to your guys’ table. I’m a sophomore. Chaeyoung, from out there, is too. Jeongyeon’s a senior though.”

Ignoring how cute she thought Tzuyu was being, Sana vaguely remembered what she was talking about. “Oh yeahhh, now I remember,” she said distractedly. She was busy looking at the lotus roots when she finally processed what Tzuyu said. Again.

Sana’s head snapped up to face the girl, “You’re a sophomore? And you’re this tall? You should be a model or something...” 

“Oh, thank you, but no,” Tzuyu denied, gazing to the side, “I don’t think that would suit me very much…” She continued, “Anyway, did you find what you were looking for? Since these aren’t exactly from the aisles, I’ll have to specially ring them up for you.”

Remembering that she was here to shop so she could go home, Sana just grabbed a random root and tossed it into her basket. “That should be good! I’ll just follow you, then?”

“Right on,” Tzuyu agreed.

 

- - -

Sana watched absentmindedly as Tzuyu rang up all her items. She’s so fast. As soon as the scanner beeps, she’s already moving on to the next one. I wonder how long she’s been doing this for? Then the blonde’s train of thought switched tracks. Will I see her again? We don’t really see each other at school… I wonder if‒ 

“Okay, here are your items, bagged and ready to go,” Tzuyu said, after scanning all the items, “Your total will be $53.78; will you be paying with cash or card?”

Damn you, Mina; damn you, Momo. “Um, card is fine.” She handed Tzuyu her card and awkwardly stood there, fidgeting with her wallet in front of the cash register.

After the beep, Sana had her card handed back to her, and tried to think of something to say while the machine printed Sana’s receipt.

Sana didn’t get the chance. Tzuyu folded the paper and handed it to her, saying, “Here’s your receipt, please enjoy your day.”

“I will, thank you!” Sana sighed. I think I’ll just go; she is on the job. Since we just met, it would be weird of me to stay after I’ve paid for my things.

Sana had grabbed her bags and was about to exit the store when Tzuyu called out after her: “Maybe I’ll see you around!”

It felt a little hot in her car for early fall.