Secret Santa: Part 1

Secret Santa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You’re not gonna go in yet?” My colleagues asked me as we arrive in front of our company building. I don’t even know why they still ask when I’ve been staying out and maximising my lunch break before going in for about a year already. 
It’s never a good idea to stay outside here in Croatia at this month, the rainfall is pouring almost everyday and it’s just too cold. But I’m never comfortable staying in the office knowing how they’ll just shower me with questions about my girlfriend. Some questions are normal and wholesome but most questions I get about my relationship with a girl is too personal and inappropriate. I mean, you’d be surprise at how curious they were about my life. 

From: Bbom <3        
9:43am
Rong rong~ we’re going to Naeun’s place tonight! Call me when you’re available alright?

“1:38pm. She should at least be home by now.” I told myself as I look at my watch. Seoul is 8 hours advance, it’s 9pm there. During my lunch break is Bomi’s bed time and we actually manage to make it a daily habit for us to talk during this time. 
One ring.. two, three, four..
“She’s not answering?” Yookyung, one of my oldest friend, asked as she gave me a warm cup of coffee. She’s been here in Croatia for almost a decade now. She’s actually the reason why I’m here, she asked for my help and the job is pretty good, the pay is generous too. The only con in this setting is that Bomi’s not here with me.
“Yea. She’s with the girls earlier.. maybe she’s not home yet.” I answered her but I myself can’t disregard the disappointed tone in my words.
“C’mon. She must be having fun. You two can have more time together when you’re back home.” What a disappointing reality, her having fun without me. But still Yookyung is right, just two more days and I’m home.
“You know, they surely miss you too. Maybe you should go back with me this year.” I tried despite of knowing the answer to this invitation.
“Maybe next time, unnie. You know how busy the holiday season is.” She’s been really successful after she migrated here, and I totally saw how famous she got. “Don’t worry I’ll be home when I needed to be home.” I wonder what she meant by those words but even before I get to ask her more about it, Yookyung is gone inside the studio.

 

The city is so gorgeous that everywhere you look at is so aesthetic, it can easily ease my mind off the worries. But also, it is at nights like this that I miss Bomi the most. Walking by myself back to the apartment where I’m staying is something I wish to do her, something I wish to experience with her again.
“Finally time to rest.” The apartment is small and supposedly cozy but it’s just too cold for me. I’ve been here back and forth for almost a year. “Just for a year.”  I remember saying that to Bomi when I accepted the job to be Yookyung’s manager. It is last January when my old friend called saying that she badly needed a manager as the former one resigned due to whatever conflict that was. I didn’t pry too much about it. 
I go home for days on special occasions such as chuseok and birthdays, especially Bomi’s birthday. I can’t imagine how our relationship could’ve went if I didn’t come home last August given how much of a whiner she is. But despite that, I love Yoon Bomi the most.

Like a stalker I am, I check Bomi’s whereabouts for the day before I sleep. Not that I doubt our relationship but I’m more at ease knowing that she’s well and nothing terrible happened. What a pessimist.

Yoon Bomi (online)

“This is weird. Why is she still up?” I quickly look at Korea’s time on my phone and it’s almost 3am there. There’s no way that my sleepyhead girlfriend would stay up this late.

Park Chorong: Love?
Yoon Bomi: You’re home!
Park Chorong: I’m calling.

Quickly I switched app and opened FaceTime. One ring.. two, three, four.. “WHY IS SHE NOT ANSWERING?!”

The reason why Bomi and I prefer to call each other instead of writing long messages is because it’s more convenient and it’s less prone to misunderstandings especially at the tone of our words. Plus I get to hear her warm voice or even see her face. What a bliss.
*connected* 
As soon as the video call got connected I quickly fixed my hair like I’m in some kind of a blind date. We’ve been dating for so long yet every call, every messages feels like yesterday. I’m in love.

“Rooong unnie~” Bomi welcomed me with her usual bright smile.
“Why do you look so slim? Did you not eat? Don’t tell me you skipped your meals!” I lied, her cheeks are as fluffy as it is.
“What do you mean slim? Can’t you see this forever bloated face?” As always Bomi is the only person that can easily make me laugh whenever she puts up a wacky expression. “This feels good.”
“What? Your chubby cheeks?!”
“No. Seeing you smile. I’d make the funniest faces everyday if that’s what it takes.” I remember Bomi saying that she’s not good with her words but who is she kidding, she’s born to flutter the hearts of many.
“Shut up, Bbom-ah. You still have some explaining to do, why are you still up this late?” I started the real conversation, to be honest I wanted to ask why she didn't pick up my call earlier but I don’t feel so good to where that conversation would end up. So here I am playing safe.

Being in a long distance relationship, every conversation is like playing that old Minesweeper game. One wrong move.. and it’s game over! Well not actually game over in case of dating but I guess everyone knows how hard it is to fix what’s wrong in the relationship when one is away.

“Well, I missed your call earlier and I have something to show you~” Bomi said cheerfully as I saw her move out of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter