Seizing the Present- 7

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cafe is not open yet and there's not many people around. So Heechul walks through the main entrance instead of the employee route. Two servers are setting up the tables and chairs while one person mops the floor.

This is only the second time Heechul has been at this branch of the Dessert Room since it was fully furnished. So she takes a while to observe the set up while pulling out her peach coloured chef uniform from the bag.

"Chef Kim!" A young man dressed in the Dessert Room's signature black chef uniform with peach coloured accents trots over to Heechul excitedly. But when he's about three steps away from Heechul, he halts and bows slightly in greeting. "Good morning! You're early... we're still prepping inside."

"Good morning Yeosang... I didn't realise I was early. We start prep at six over at the main shop so we can cater to the breakfast rush." Heechul notices the two waiters are done cleaning and are getting the mops and buckets out of the way. "I suppose it's easier to clean without customers around. We can only do that after closing time."

"Yes, being in the dessert and coffee business is advantageous because not many people are eating sweets late in the night. But actually, Manager Shim has reduced the operating hours of this branch. Being in the business area, the coffee bar gets crowded around office hours. And the office-workers like to take our desserts to-go to eat during breaks or after work when they head home. Manager Shim wants to target the customer base we have here with specifics." Yeosang gestures at their display case where one chef is lining up desserts. "I was just experimenting to-go plating options for our custard-based desserts. Would you like to see them before the interviews?"

"Look at you!" Heechul laughs at the young head chef, "Running the kitchen like a boss, aren't we? You were such a timid kitten when I interviewed you."

Yeosang blushes slightly, showing a hint of that shy boy who is still there. "I do feel a lot confident now. You would know how cooks my age would still be peeling onions. You're really kind to take a chance on us and let us gain experience early."

"Well, someone took a chance on me too. That's why I'm here." She nudges him towards the kitchen. "Let's see those desserts. I'll treat myself to the coffee bar till then."

"Should I show you to the locker room?"

"Nah. I just need to put this on." Heechul heads to the coffee bar while wearing her uniform over her shirt.

The barista is busy prepping in the kitchen before they start the day. So Heechul uses the leftover ground coffee from the day before to make a dark coffee for herself. While she's busy pouring the coffee through the filter, she hears the distinct clatter of that wooden and glass door of the entrance.

"Sorry, we're not open for service yet." Heechul hears a waiter say to whoever entered the cafe.

 "I'm actually here to meet your boss right there." At that Heechul finally looks up from her coffeemaking. To her surprise, she finds a sharply dressed Lee Joongi standing at the entrance. When he caught her eye, he smiles brightly and waves at her.

Heechul gestures at the waiter to let him in and waits till Joongi approaches the coffee bar. When she plays the cup of coffee on the grey marble, Joongi takes it as an invitation to take a seat on one of the stools there. Heechul places a small jar of sugar sachets on the counter in offering but he takes the coffee as is.

"I like it this way, thanks." Heechul only nods, watching him sip the coffee while waiting patiently for him to speak. But Kim Heechul's patience can last only so much. "So what brings you here?"

Joongi looks up at her above the cup's rim before placing it down with a smile. "How bad would I look if I said I was hoping to run into Jaejoong?"

"Oh my! How blatant of you!" Heechul snickers teasingly, "I guess you're in the final stage of liking Jaejoong overtly. Too bad Jaejoong isn't here. Actually, she's not seen this branch since it opened and it's only my second time here coz I'm interviewing new chefs today."

"Oh well, it's a pleasant coincidence to see you too." Joongi tips his cup towards her before taking another sip. "Jokes aside, I thought I should finally check out the place myself. Raelia's corporate office is 15 minutes away and I've been passing by this place for months now... Though I think I'll have to stop by later if I want a sugar fix."

As if on cue, Yeosang is stepping out of the kitchen behind Heechul, hands full with a tray of delicacies. "Chef Kim, these are only five samples- oh!" The young man is startled when he finds someone that's not an employee with Heechul. He's a little stunned by the older man's expensive aura that he doesn't notice Heechul take the tray from him till she's placing it on the counter.

"I have a guinea pig who is going to test the sturdiness of our to-go plating."

"Yes, yes! Leave it all~ to me!" Joongi picks up a sealed cup of a colourful pudding and proceeds to slide the lid off it carefully. "Resealable cups, stems to hold them easily, and they are filled just high enough to prevent spillage. Colour me impressed." Joongi gestures at the other differently shaped cups of the same dessert. "I have to ask though, why the different cups?"

Hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter