Last Christmas

Last Christmas

“Miii, come on! You gotta come to the Friendsmas party, we all miss you!”

 

“Kook, you know why I can’t…” 

 

“I’ll be there with you, and so will Jimin and Taehyung,” Jungkook pleaded.

 

Mimi let out a sigh, “Alright, I will be there for A LITTLE BIT.”

 

“Yay! See you in a bit, Mi!” Jungkook squealed and hung up.

 

Mimi went to take a shower, figuring if she had to go to the party, she might as well look her best and make sure he knew that she was over him, MOVED ON, and well.

 

After her shower she wrapped herself in her towel and just sat on her bed, staring into the mirror. Was she really ready to face Yoongi? They were both part of the same friend group for years, but Yoongi and Mimi were especially close. There was an immediate attraction, immediate chemistry, and Mimi pined over him for 99% of the time she knew him. She thought, truly thought, the feelings were mutual. 

 

Last year, she finally decided it was time to make her emotions clear. She bought him a new pair of headphones for his music, since she knew he was still using his old ones from high school that were jacking up the sound of his songs, but he just could not bring himself to get a new pair. With it, she wrong a letter, pouring out her feelings, and she left the gift under the tree. 

“If you can return my feelings, please meet me tomorrow at our spot, 6PM. I’ll wait for you.”

 

Mimi waited there for two hours before leaving, as it seemed he would not show up. Immediately after that, she quit communication with him, she only hung out with the boys individually, ensuring that Yoongi wasn’t there. She made sure they never brought him up in conversation and made them all promise not to talk to him about her.

 

But today, a whole year later, she would have to see him again. She sighed and finished getting ready. A whole year has passed, she has to move on. She has to act like she’s fine without him.

 

Once she finished getting ready, she looked at the clock, Jungkook was going to pick her up any minute. She just checked all her bags and such and made sure she had everything when he rang the door bell.

 

“You look pretty, Mi,” Jungkook smiled, holding out his hand for her. She grabbed his hand while rolling her eyes and laughed as she locked the door and they headed to Hoseok’s apartment. They took turns hosting every year, and this year Hoseok, who was the biggest Christmas lover in the group was it.

 

The apartment was decked out in garland and lights everywhere. Jungkook lead Mimi into the apartment towards the kitchen, where Hoseok, Taehyung, Jimin, and Jin were.

 

Immediately at the sight of Mimi, the four of them ran to her and hugs were exchanged all around. “I missed you”s and “I missed you too”s, and Jimin even threw in a “Careful standing over by the tree, there’s a mistletoe hanging over there and you know Hoseok’s rules: Kiss or clean up the decorations after New Years.” With all the decorations Hobi put up, it would probably take whoever cleaning all the way ‘til Thanksgiving to finish.

 

Taehyung, of course, grabbed Mimi to help him with the decorating the cookies, and the kitchen filled with chatter and laughter. Suddenly the door swung open, Namjoon and Yoongi completing their group of 8. 

 

As soon as Mimi looked up, Yoongi stopped dead in his tracks by the door, both of them just staring at each other, the room frozen with silence.

 

“Yoons, pick up your jaw and close the door, will you? It’s cold!” Hoseok yelled out, trying to ease the tension.

 

Namjoon also tried by walking up into the kitchen and giving Mimi a warm hug, “Missed you, Mi.”

 

“I missed you, too,” Mimi smiled, and went back to decorating the cookies.

 

Yoongi, still feeling awkward, decided to stay over by Jungkook and Jin, who were working on dinner.

 

Slowly, one-by-one, the boys started filing out of the kitchen and migrated to the TV to play video games, once the dinner was prepped and cooking, until it was just Yoongi and Mimi left in the kitchen.

 

“Hey,” Yoongi’s soft voice still nearly startling Mimi.

 

She turned to him, afraid to look him in the eyes, “Hey.”

 

“Long time no see..” he stepped in closer, “You look great.”

 

“Thanks,” she looked up. His once-green hair had become black now, his clothing style seemed to change to a more comfortable streetwear style, too. “You look great, yourself.”

 

Silence hung in the air as the two just looked at each other, neither really sure what to say…

 

“Hey, I think the chicken’s do- Oh,” Jin came into the kitchen, startling Yoongi into jumping back 5 feet, which gave Mimi enough time to run out to the rest of the boys, and she kept herself close to Jungkook until dinnertime.

 

Somehow, Mimi ended up sitting directly across from Yoongi, and she definitely did not want to awkwardly face him through the whole dinner, but she didn’t have much choice. Jungkook and Jimin sat on either side of her, and Jungkook especially tried to give her extra best friend affection to distract her: putting more food on her plate, patting her head, telling her jokes, and even just swinging his arm around onto the back of her chair, silently and subtly comforting her.

 

“Miiiii, time to bring out the cookies we made!” Taehyung stood up and pulled Mimi into the kitchen. They had decorated the cookies to look like the 8 of them. So together, they each handed out the cookie to match its owner.

 

Taehyung made Mimi’s, Jimin’s, Jin’s and Yoongi’s, while Mimi made Taehyung’s, Jungkook’s, Namjoon’s, and Hoseok.

 

There was a clear difference in artistic style, as Mimi was a bit more of a perfectionist and liked to decorate the cookies more accurately to the models, Taehyung liked to make things more abstract and decorate it to how he viewed the person.

 

Yoongi looked at his cookie, it was him, with his old, green hair, and a little smirk and evil eyebrows on his face. It was endearing that Taehyung still saw him as this almost bad-boy type of brother, but part of him wished Mimi made his cookie. But why would she? They haven’t spoken since last year, when she made a fool out of him. Part of him was still bitter, but the other part missed her so much, and just wished she would look at him at least.

 

Namjoon went up to the kitchen as everyone was finishing their too-sweet cookies, and came back with a couple bottles of soju. 

 

“Shots, anyone?”

 

“Me!” Yoongi and Mimi said in unison. They looked at each other and sighed as everyone took that as an excuse to leave the two alone. Yoongi sighed as he walked up to Namjoon and swiped the bottles from his hand, while Mimi gently grabbed the stack of shot glasses from his other hand. 

 

“Anyone else want to join us?” She asked meekly, looking at Jungkook in particular, but he subtly shook his head no, even he wouldn’t save her out of this one.

 

The two of them walked over to a smile corner by the Christmas tree and sat on the floor, Yoongi silently poured the shots while the rest of the boys pretended to be preoccupied with snacks and games. 

 

“Cheers,” Yoongi said dryly, clinking their shot glasses together before they threw ‘em back.

 

Yoongi began pouring the second round, “So, how have you been?”

 

Mimi just looked at him, a bit annoyed at the question as she downed her next shot without even waiting for him, “Good, I guess,” she hissed.

 

“That’s definitely a party foul, just like last year,” He scoffed and poured her a third shot.

 

“Like last year?” She asked, borderline annoyed, as they clinked again. 

 

He looked her in the eyes, and hesitated. “Yeah, last year. Confessing to me in a stupid letter and then bailing on me.”

 

“Stupid? Bail on you??? Maybe you were stupid and went to the wrong place because I waited at the bridge for two hours for you!” This time it was her turn to grab the bottle and pour two more shots haphazardly.

 

“I’m not stupid, I know where our spot is! Don’t lie either, I was there until midnight, there was no way you could have been there for two hours and not see me!” Even as their conversation escalated, they clinked their glasses and drank.

 

At this point, the boys slowly moved in towards the kitchen, afraid of being caught in the crossfires of an impending argument.

 

“Anyone going to tell them they’re under the mistletoe?” Taehyung whispered, followed by 5 shushes coming from all directions.

 

“Why would I lie about my feelings for you and getting heartbroken about you the day after Christmas?!” Mimi stood up at this point, looking down at Yoongi, only to make him stand up to give himself more leverage.

 

“Because maybe you knew what my feelings were for you and thought it would be funny to play some sick joke-! Wait, the day after Christmas?” Yoongi’s finger pointing at Mimi slowly lowered.

 

“Yeah,” Yoongi finally noticed the tears building up in Mimi’s eyes as she continued, “I left the note under the tree for you on Christmas, and I went out the next day and hoped so badly you felt the same way about me.”

 

Yoongi took a moment to process the information before gently tugging her into his arms. “I- Oh my god, Mi, I did feel the same way about you. I STILL feel that way about you, you don’t even know how much I’ve missed you.” He pulled her back to look at her face, which was now stained with tears, “I didn’t read your letter until the day after Christmas, so I didn’t go out there until the day after that. I WAS stupid, I shouldn’t have even waited until the next day, I should have gone straight to your apartment to tell you how I felt.”

“You… so this whole time…” Mimi’s tears continued to flow. The two of them were still trying to process their feelings, while the other 6 boys stood in the kitchen, crammed behind the tiny wall trying to listen into the conversation without being distracting for the two.

 

Yoongi grabbed Mimi’s hands, gently rubbing the back of them with his thumbs. “I don’t know how you feel about me now, but as I said before, I STILL love you. You were my best friend, and I loved you, for a really long time now, and I wish I had spoken up sooner, I shouldn’t have waited for you to have to confess your feelings to me first, but if there’s even a chance that you may still feel that way for me…”

 

“I do, I still do, so much,” she wrapped her arms around his neck.

 

“JUST KISS ALREADY,” Jungkook yelled from behind the wall, followed by the sound of a few slaps, most likely the others hitting him in the arms.

 

Yoongi, with his hands still on Mimi’s waist, chuckled as he looked up and noticed the mistletoe. Mimi, following his gaze, and as soon as they made eye contact, they laughed at the whole situation, and how everything was a big misunderstanding.

 

“Well, you know the rules of the house…” Yoongi smiled, Mimi laughed and they leaned in and kissed. It wasn’t as rushed as they thought it would be, but it was as if they couldn’t stop, not wanting to waste more time than they already had. 

 

Cheers came out from the kitchen and interrupted them, making them break apart, but Yoongi’s arm still held onto Mimi tightly.