Chapter 1

The Past Is Always Present
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jamiria rode through the woods , returning from her duties she had sworn to assist her highness, Princess Sally, with. However, Sally had been required to stay at the court today due to unseen circumstances and Jamiria was bitterly disappointed she couldn’t spend the time during today's activities with Sally. She looked around and saw her squire, Carrisa, riding behind her. “How did you find it today?” Jamiria asked.

“Today was fun ,” Carrisa responded. “It was great to see just how much respect you knights have earned.” Carrisa was a bubbly character, but she didn’t really understand the purpose of being a knight. That was the task of Jamiria, to train her in the way of a knight.

Jamiria had previously had a couple of squires, but none of them made the impression that Carrisa had made on her. She knew that Carrisa would be harder work, but she had this gut feeling that she would make a great knight. “Carrisa, you need to remember why we have the respect of the people of this land ," she started. “These people respect us because of where we have come from, what we stand for, but also what we do for justice.”

The last part stuck with Carrisa. “I know ma’am. I just prefer not to think about the justice part too much.” Carrisa looked down to her horse, Moonshadow, in slight embarrassment. That was the one part of the job she held regret in seeing, and she hoped she would never have to do it herself.

“I thought I told you to drop the formality with us being friends. Gah, I hate the title of ma’am, ” Jamiria said as they reached a clearing in the woods ; the clearing revealed the home stretch of road that would take them back to the court. “And the justice part comes in as part of the package with our job ; we all don’t want to do it, but we have to when required. Fortunately, it’s a much rarer occurrence than it used to be.”

The pair started to slowly make their way along the worn-out road that would take them back to their new residence. Along the pathway, Jamiria saw the sisters she regularly saw along the path. “Good afternoon Miss Bree , Miss Clover, how are you today?” She hated having to use formalities with the people she regularly interacts with, but she has no choice with her squire in tail she needs to set the right example.

“Good afternoon Jamiria, everything is going well with us today, not as many customers as we’d like, but we'll manage,” Clover responded.

“You ladies deserve a lot more than what you get. You are god sends. The fact that you have been able to see the future and predict many things that have benefited both me and those around me, it is truly remarkable,” Jamiria smiled sincerely.

“I thank you, Dame Jamiria, but we are not god sends. We are just village folk with a special gift we choose to share with these persons who share our lands,” Bree smiled. She looked past Jamiria towards the sky and saw the sun setting. “You should be heading back now, the princess awaits the return of her knight.” Bree an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter