Why did you run away?

Does this voice have a fee?

Feeling her heart swell, she said with soft smile, “Love.”

Both of their eyes widened as they stared at each other. A silence filled the air until the gentle breeze made the wind chime.

“Love.” Jisoo forced a laugh, and began to ramble, “There aren’t a lot of words that start with these letters. Using the last two letters are pretty complicated, but this was really fun!” Jinyoung tilted his head, as she kept talking. “Omo, I finished hanging up the laundry. Well it looks like it’s my loss! Thanks for keeping me company.” Picking up her laundry basket, she quickly went inside and slid the door shut behind her.

A sweat drop formed on his forehead. “…”

Right when she shut the door, she collapsed on the floor, and turned beet red. She panicked. … Wait. What am I doing?!! There are plenty other words that start with “lo-“! Like “loyal” or “loan”… However, I noticed that I probably fell in love with him… Placing a hand over her heart, she smiled.


Summer eventually past, and school begun yet again…

Jinyoung fastened his tie, getting dressed in his school uniform. Hearing the sink running, he walked out to the kitchen to see his mom washing the dishes. “Umma, go to sleep. You were working late yesterday.”

His mom smiled back. “Gwenchana, sometimes I also want to do some housework.”

He pouted a little. “Umma, are you overworking yourself? You look thinner.”

“Of course not,” she let out a soft giggle. “There’s a lot of work I’ve been entrusted with at my new job, so it feels really rewarding. More importantly, hurry up and go to school.”

He gave her a small smile and walked out. When he was at the front of the apartment complex, he turned back around to look at Jisoo’s place. When he saw no movement, he looked at both sides of the street. Seeing nothing yet again, he sighed as he rubbed the back of his head.


“Haah, haah,” Jisoo panted as she ran down the street. I’m late! Stopping to catch her breath, she wheezed and leaned on a lamp post. I was afraid I’d run into Jinyoung-oppa so I left too late! Ever since that day I’ve been avoiding him. It’s finally school day! Truthfully, I wanted to meet him and listen to his voice, but more than that… It’s really embarrassing!! Covering her face with both her hands, she groaned. With zero experience in romantic relationships, what should I doooo~ Besides that, if I let my feelings carelessly slip like last time, for sure he’s gonna give me his legendary “Eh?” then maybe start ignoring me like in some drama!! Sighing, she continued to walk to school. It’s very scary when I imagine it…

“Hey! If it isn’t Jisoo.” A guy ran up to her and smiled. “Unusual for you to be late.”

Omo! He’s that guy! She remembered him from the time he confessed in front of everyone by the lockers but she didn’t hear. She forced a smile. What was his name again? I really am the worst…

Placing his hands in his pockets, he scoffed and walked ahead. “But to think you’re into older guys~”

“Bwo?” She followed him.

“There’s a rumor you’re chasing that second year.”

Her eyes widened. “Eeehh?!! Chasing?”

“I mean, he doesn’t even suit you, right? He’s such an introvert.”

“I don’t really care about those things…”

“I’m not talking about you, I’m talking about him. You probably seem like you’re from another world from him that you give him culture shock.”

She gasped, as she looked down. She bit her lower lip. “Oh… That’s true.”

“Tsk,” he clicked his tongue. “You’re making a really hurt expression. I was just joking!”

I remember his name! “Jaebum!” she called out. She shut her eyes, as she bowed her head. “That time, even though I didn’t hear you, it was still very rude of me to act that way! Mianhe!” Now I realize how much that must’ve hurt. How much courage it takes to convey your feelings…

“Look now,” he turned around to glare at her. “Would you please stop opening old wounds?! I already have a girlfriend! How long do you think I’d love you; it’s troublesome.”

Ah of course!! She bowed profusely. “Jinjja mianhe!”

“But…” He gave her a small smile. “I don’t have any regrets. In the end, it’s still better than saying nothing, right?”

She returned the smile.


“Youngjae! Jinyoung!” Mark greeted happily in their classroom. “It’s been a while.” Jinyoung smiled in his seat, and Youngjae waved as he sat behind Jinyoung.

“Alright, take your seats.” The elderly teacher walked in, and smacked Mark on the head lightly with his folder for being too loud.

Mark rubbed the top of his head. “The teacher’s here already?!”

“Aah… I forgot the printouts,” the teacher sighed. “Jinyoung-ssi, would you please go to the staff room and get them please? Mark-ssi would probably make a detour.”


Finally arriving at school, Jisoo walked up the stairs in a daze. Don’t have any regrets huh? I wonder if I’m ever going to be able to express my feelings to Jinyoung-oppa…

“Ah! Jisoo-ah?” Jinyoung bumped into her as he was going down the stairs.

She froze as her eyes widened. No way, the real one!

He kept walking towards her. “Didn’t the bell already ring? Eh?” She quickly turned around, and ran down the stairs. “Jisoo-ah?!”

Flustered, she breathed erratically. Wait… Why’d I run away?! But I can’t see his face…

“…” Biting his lower lip, he watched her run away. Unable to take it anymore, he ran after her. “Jisoo-ah?! Why…”

Why is he following me?! She cried on the inside, as she shut her eyes. “It’s nothing, ok?”

“Haa?!” he exclaimed in disbelief.

“And why are you following me?!”

“Because you’re running away?!”

She slipped on a step. “Kyaa!”

“Jisoo-ah!” Panicking, he reached out for her.


“I think it’s probably not sprained…” the school nurse said, as she finished bandaging up Jisoo’s ankle.

Giving an embarrassed laugh, Jisoo bowed her head. “Mianheyo…” School day ended with me twisting my ankle.

Jennie sat with Jisoo. “Jisoo, does it still hurt?”

Jisoo gave a reassuring smile. “The swelling lessened quite a bit.”

“I’m glad.”

“It’s all thanks to our school nurse.” Jisoo bowed to the nurse. “Neomu gomawoyo.”

The nurse smiled. “You should also thank the one who brought you here.”

Jennie tilted her head. “The one who brought you here?”

The nurse brightened as she saw a familiar figure come through the door. “Ah, speaking of which.”

Jinyoung came in, looking concerned. His breath was ragged as if he ran straight there after class ended. Jisoo turned bright pink, as Jennie’s eyes widened. “Oh, it’s Jinyoung-ssi.”

“Well then, take care on your way home.” And with that, the nurse left the room.

Jinyoung bowed at the nurse, as Jisoo’s heart felt like it would jump out of her chest. He focused all his attention on her as his eyebrows scrunched together. After a moment, he shut his eyes closed, and bowed at her. “Mianhe! You were hurt because I chased after you right?!”

“It’s not your fault!” Jisoo waved her hands. “It’s just I lost my footing-“

“Do you want to go home with me today?”

Her eyes widened. “Eh?”

“So I can carry your things.” His cheeks turned a little pink. “And if you want, you can also lean on my shoulder.”

“Ah, it doesn’t really-“

Jennie quickly covered Jisoo’s mouth with her hand. “Aaah! That would be great!!” She turned to Jinyoung and forced a laugh. “It actually looks like it hurts her quite a bit.”

“Jennie?! It’s a bit much to lie…” Jisoo whispered.

“But this is your chance to go home together, right?!” Jennie whispered back.

“But…”

Watching Jisoo panic, he figured that she’ll just feel like a burden. To reassure her, he reached a hand out to her. “Jisoo-ah… Please hold onto me.”

Her heart skipped a beat, as her cheeks turned bright pink at the lovely sight. Bwo?!

Seeing her reaction, he leaned closer, and spoke softly, “Let’s go home.”

Her conscience flew out the window as she began to drool from his low tone voice.


… I grabbed his hand without thinking… Jisoo placed a hand over her face in shame as she stood next to Jinyoung on the bus ride home. She hung her head low and sighed. I’m glad we’re going home together but… was it ok to lie?

Noticing her sigh, Jinyoung began to worry. He lowered his head to face her, and looked in concern. “… Does it still hurt?”

Her heart throbbed. I really can’t do this… I’m going to tell the truth. Clenching her hands, she mustered up the courage to confess. “Actually, I- Kya!” The bus screeched to a halt, making her stagger and bump into his chest. Her eyes widened, as she quickly backed away. “Mian-"

He gently pushed her head back onto his chest, and continued to hold her. “Gwenchana. If it’s painful, just lean on me.”

“Eh?” Her cheeks turned bright pink as they both stood in silence. H- How’d we get into this situation?! Heart, please calm down!! She shut her eyes tight.

“There’s something I want to ask you…” She gasped at the sound of his voice. “Why’d you run away from me?”

She forced a smile as she faced him. “Don’t worry about it…”

After taking a deep breath, he pouted. “I mean, aren’t you avoiding me ever since we met on the balcony? Until now, you were ambushing me left and right; you even found out where I work. I mean, lately you’ve been causing all sorts of trouble around me, but then you just suddenly start ignoring me or something. Even if you say not to worry about it…” He shifted his gaze, as his cheeks turned slightly pink. “I’m worried.”

She bit her lower lip. I really shouldn’t have told that lie… My heart feels heavy, and my chest hurts…


The next day came, and Jisoo laid on the living room couch. Her mom placed both hands on her hips. “Are you lazing around again? Your leg doesn’t hurt anymore, does it? Please go buy groceries.”

“Ne…” Jisoo groggily got up the couch.

Noticing that, her mom looked at her daughter in concern. “You don’t look so well. If it’s too hard, never mind then.”

Jisoo forced a smile. “No no! I’ll go.” She picked up a reusable bag, and headed out. As she closed the door, she took a glance at Jinyoung’s door. Jinyoung-oppa… In the end, I didn’t tell him the truth yesterday… I probably won’t meet him until next week but still… I’m feeling down. I wonder how I should face him next time we meet… She carefully took a step down the stairs with the injured foot. Yup, it doesn’t hurt anymore. Oh, a puddle. I’ll just jump over the last step. And with that, she hopped and landed on the foot when she heard a familiar voice.

“… Jisoo-ah?”

Her eyes widened. Bwo…

Jinyoung stood and stared at her in shock. “That leg…”

Did… he see that?! She panicked. Otteoke?! Her heart throbbed as she saw his face turned cold. She bowed. “Mianhe! It didn’t actually hurt that bad!! Well…” She bit her lower lip. “It did hurt, but not to the point where you’d have to me, or how should I put it… Jinjja mianhe!” I’m the worst!

“… Why didn’t you tell me?”

She twitched at the sound of how hurt his voice sounded. He’s mad. Well of course he’d be shocked! However, I don’t want to lie or deceive him anymore. She looked at him with determination. “It’s all because I wanted to go home together with you!” His eyes widened, as her cheeks turned bright pink. This… This was practically a confession…

“… I’m glad.”

“Eh…?”

“Here you go.” He handed her a bag.

Taking it from him, she opened it. “A wind chime…?” Ah… he remembered that I really enjoyed it that one time…

“I wanted to give it as an apology for making you hurt yourself, but… I’m glad if you weren’t really hurt.” He smiled at her. “Well, I was just going to give this to you…” He turned around, and headed up the stairs.

“Wait!” She grabbed onto him. I won’t hold back anymore. “I love you.” The wind chime rang, as she repeated. “I love you, Jinyoung-oppa.”

“Mian.” He brushed her hand away. “I have someone.”

Her eyes widened. … Bwo? Right now he said… he has someone? Bwo?

“Umm… Jisoo-ah…”

She jumped, as she got taken out of her thoughts. “… Oh, you have a girlfriend…” She forced a laugh, as she brushed a piece of hair behind her ear. “I didn’t know, or rather, I should’ve asked that first.”

“Uhmm…”

“Don’t mind this at all.” She felt tears well up as she continued to force a smile. “This was actually just the continuation of the word game.” This is bad… Not good! She turned around.

“… Jisoo-ah.”

She refused to look back at him. “I have to go to the store. Thanks for the gift!” And with that, she ran out the building. The store is five minutes away. Until then, I mustn’t cry. Even though I said that… Once she was out of his sight, she crouched to the floor and cried out loud. The tears just don’t stop falling...

(A/N: Hello! I tried to update every wednesday, but I missed last week's... so here it is hehe Enjoy, comment, and don't forget to subscribe!)