The Night We Met

GOTTEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
I am not the only one traveler
Who has not repaid his debt
I’ve been searching for a trail to follow again
Take me back to the night we met
-
“She's getting married.”   A flash of recognition flashed over the blonde’s face but it was gone in a split second. “I’m sorry,” Moonbyul sought for her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.   Words now spoken out loud, Wheein felt the reality of it. She shook her head. “I never had a chance anyway,”    “Does she know about your feelings?” Moonbyul asked.

“It’s not important now is it?” The younger woman traced the rim of her glass. Wheein was taken aback when the blonde barked a belly laugh.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to laugh but-“ Byul wiped the corners of her eyes, “I know someone who’s in the similar situation like you.” 

“What did your friend do?” Wheein quirked an eyebrow. 

“I’m not sure what she’ll do but I’m rooting for her.” The older woman confessed, a soft glint of hope shimmered in her eyes. 

-
Wheein tried to distract herself from the situation she was currently in, she read the menu of the coffee shop thrice and by the fourth time she sure memorized the names, sizes and prices of the beverages. The queue was taking its precious time. Yongsun bumped her hip on her demanding her attention.

“Wheein-ah, my legs feel like jelly. Mind if I look for seats? You can order me anything,” Wheein simply nodded, secretly relieved. Yongsun didn’t even wait for a second beat and walked out of the line. She strutted to the nearest table for two.

Wheein pondered how a single interview she accepted in Seoul led her to hometown she never set a foot for the last five years. She should’ve cancelled it when it was rescheduled in a different place but she convinced herself it was highly unlikely to meet someone she knew. Besides the opportunity in one of the most prestigious firm would be a long shot to win but an interview would definitely boost her confidence. Wheein mentally laughed at the irony.

“Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte and Blonde Roast for Wheein,” Wheein winced at the name of Yongsun’s drink she haven’t heard that for five years. She slowly walked to their seat and set the tray on top of the table. Yongsun was busy reading something on her phone, her scrunched up face meant serious matter but she quickly turned her phone down and smiled brightly at the younger woman.

“You still remembered?” Yongsun’s smile grew bigger.

“A five word tea order is not that hard to memorize Unnie,” Wheein pulled the chair across the older woman and sat.

The older woman’s back straighten up giddily and at sat on the edge of her seat. “So?” 

“So?” The younger woman repeated unsure of what the question was really for.

“Are you back? Back for good?” Yongsun smiled a hopeful smile.

Wheein sipped her coffee borrowing time. She slowly put the cup down and dared to look at her unnie. “Not really.”

“Visiting someone?” Yongsun tried not to sound probing but she really missed the woman she haven’t seen or heard of for the last five years and answering her with very short replies made her feel that Wheein would rather be anywhere else than sitting opposite of her. She gulped that feeling down. Her mind alarming to ask a less personal question.

“I came here for an interview.” Wheein ignored the lump on . Opening up again to Yongsun made her stomach lurch.

“Really? Which art gallery?” The older woman beamed at her. “I actually have a very special friend who owns-“

“No unnie,” Wheein cut her off. “It was NYD Architectures.” Wheein saw a cloud forming on Yongsun’s eyes, the color slightly drained from her face.

“NYD Architectures?” She sounded uncertain yet pronounced her words slowly. The last time they saw each other Wheein was excelling in Fine Arts. She was amazed by the passion the younger woman had for Arts. She even remembered Wheein vowing to her most expensive brush she purchased that they will be together until the end of time.

“Yeah,” Wheein breathed out. “I transferred from Fine Arts to 
Architecture after freshman year.” 

“I thought you love Arts? You were in love with paints!” The older woman exclaimed.

“I was,” Wheein carefully chose her words. “I still am. But we didn’t see eye to eye so I had to let it go before I ruined it further.” She tried to sound nonchalant but her heart was somersaulting in her chest. “What about you unnie?” She tried to deflect the subject.

The older woman bounced on her sit. “I’m currently a volunteer in a hospital. I did journalism for three years but I decided to take a break so there I am.”

A vibration caught the women’s attention. Yongsun picked up her phone and read the message. Wheein saw an inflicting pain on her unnie’s face. The older woman typed a short reply and put the phone on her bag.

“Wheein-ah, I’m sorry to cut this short but I have an emergency at the hospital,” Yongsun pulled out a beige envelope and slid it on the table. An unreadable expression on her face. 

“I would appreciate it if you could come.” Yongsun stood up, leaned across the table and hugged the shorter woman. She was gone before Wheein could even react. She eyed the envelope her heart hammered in her chest. She didn't have to open it to know what was the invitation was for. Wheein threw it inside her purse.

-

And then I can tell myself
What the hell I’m supposed to do
And then I can tell myself
Not to ride along with you

-

Moonbyul ordered another round of drinks for them. “So Wheein-ssi, what do you do?”

“I’m an architect.” The younger woman downed her drink in one swig.

“You don’t sound proud?” The blonde adjusted herself and completely faced the stranger beside her. “You don’t like what you do?”

“I am. I do.” In fact Wheein was borderline obsessed with 
architecture. She enrolled herself in Architecture in a different university after her fateful freshman year in Fine Arts. She was determined to finish college as soon as she can, even took full loaded summer classes. An occupied mind fills up what the heart lacks. With her parents’ unwavering support she finished school in a record of three years. The last year spent as an apprentice in a small company in Seoul. 

“But?” Moonbyul encouraged her to go on.

“I wanted to do Arts but I quit.”

Moonbyul’s ears perked up. “Really?” Excitement written all over her petite face. “Do you know Moon and Sun Art Galleries?” 

The young architect racked her hazy brain, she sure heard it 
somewhere. The stranger gave her an ample amount of seconds to think but when Wheein failed to remember Moonbyul filled her in.

“It was the first gallery in Korea to exhibit Vermeer and Rembrandt.”

Wheein remembered and nodded. She saw it on the news.

“My family owns Moon and Sun.” The pride on the woman’s face was so evident that Wheein smiled as well.

“So you do art too?” Wheein’s heart swelled with nostalgia.

“I tried but I !” Moonbyul laughed. “I’m in charge with papers and stuff instead. Anyway, do you have some pieces? I’d like to see them!”

“I haven’t picked up the brush in a long time. I don’t think I still 
got it.” Moonbyul swatted her arm.

“Of course you do! The mind might forget but the heart always remembers.” The older woman winked at her.

Their attention was stolen by Wheein’s vibrating phone. 

“Aren’t you gonna get that?” Moonbyul raised her eyebrow. The architect sighed and answered the call.

“Wheein-ah!” Her best friend scolded her. “You said you’d be quick! Where are you now? Are you ok? Do you want me to pick you up?”

“Slow down, I’m fine. A little drunk but I’m fine.” Wheein smiled, her best friend might be handful sometimes but she was glad they reconnected. Not until two years ago when she decided to pick up the younger woman’s call. It took them a week to rekindle their friendship and other week for Wheein to confess what really went down. Hyejin forgave her but made her promise never to disappear from her like that again. When Hyejin graduated, she moved in with Wheein to Seoul.

“What do you mean a little drunk? Jung Wheein you never drank a single drop of alcohol, in what? Five years? Where are you?” Wheein winced, she flashed an apologetic smile to Moonbyul which the latter returned with an encouraging nod.

“Hyejin-ah, I’m not a kid. I’m older than you.” Wheein chuckled.

“You met her didn’t you?” Hyejin’s voice suddenly serious. “Are you ok?”

Wheein huffed. Her best friend has the best sixth sense in the world, she can’t decide if it was a good thing or a bad one. Or she really just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter