Intro.

Eris Café

It’s been two weeks since Jennie started working as a (training) barista in Eris café and she can already pick up a few regular faces there. There’s this girl with a fair skin and long black hair, always bringing a book every time she goes here and she’d always sit down on the seat in the corner near the window whenever she could; usually a hot drink on the table as she reads with her earphones on.


Then, there’s this tall guy with somewhat tanned skin (sometimes she wonders if he got it tanned or if that’s just how his skin is) that has come for about 10 times for the 14 days she has worked there, and he’s always ordered the same thing: Iced Dark Chocolate.


Next, there are this two people that always come together. Both of them are quite tall though one of them is somewhat too skinny for the amount of desserts he’s ordered for the three times he has come here (she envies him for being able to inhale 5 pieces of cakes without having to worry about gaining weight). The other guy is a little taller, he has a nice smile and an air of innocence around him. Jennie sometimes feels like patting him in the head despite his height.


The last group she recognizes is a group of three: two guys and a girl. They are somewhat unique because if you see the three of them together, you wouldn’t think they are in the same circle; they look like three people that come from different groups of friends instead of being in the same one. The girl is a brunette and, for some reason she doesn’t know, she reminds Jennie of the tall guy with huge appetite. She dresses stylishly but doesn’t seem over the top—she looks effortlessly fashionable. One of the guy has big eyes and doesn’t talk a lot. But Jennie could never forget how nice his voice sounds even though he only talked to her once to order a drink. The other guy is a happy-go-lucky guy that would sometimes get too loud in the café. Jennie remembers him trying to flirt with her the first day she works here, the other barista, who has worked here for a year, brushed him off, laughing as he tells him not to scare off their newest addition. The guy jokingly hits her coworker on the arm before going back to his table. Even then Jennie could tell his flirting was just his way of being friendly; he didn’t actually try to flirt with her.


“Why are you spacing off?” Jennie jumps a little, causing the guy to laugh, murmuring a ‘sorry’ for startling her.
 

“Just… thinking about some stuff,” she answers. Her coworker hums, not wanting to pry. Before Jennie could say anything more, the bell rings, making them both turn to greet their first costumer of the day.
 

Jennie is about to open when the costumer beats her into it.
 

“Hyung, the usual. Can I have less ice, though? I think my throat is kinda sore,” he says to her coworker.
 

“Shouldn’t you be having no ice at all if your throat is sore, though?” he wonders out loud.
 

The guy just grins a little with a shrug, “I don’t like my drinks hot”
 

“Anyway, just because you’re a regular here doesn’t mean you can just order to me, brat,” he snickers. “Go order to Jennie in the cashier,” he says even though he’s already started making the drink since he sees him opening the door.
 

Their costumer whines a bit but makes his way to the cashier. Jennie chuckles, already putting in his order even before he reaches her, “Iced Dark Chocolate, less ice right?” He nods sheepishly. “Do you want to order anything else?” His eyes skims through the display, trying to see if there’s anything he’d like before shaking his head and putting out his wallet.
 

As Jennie receives the bill and puts it in the cashier, she can’t help but ask, “Why do you always order Iced Dark Chocolate though?” The guy, as if not realizing she’s talking to him, blinks adorably before pointing to himself. Jennie chuckles again, she nods as she gets him his plastic cup, “Kim Jongin, right?” she makes sure before writing down his name and he just nods again.


Jennie gives the cup to the other barista, who is grinning as he’s making Jongin’s drink. “The guy’s just weird, Jen,” he answers for Jongin. “He even orders it when it’s winter,” he laughs as Jongin glares at him.
 

“For my defense,” he starts. “An old friend introduced it to me and I’ve been in love ever since, thank you.”
 

“You just can’t drink coffee.”
 

“Well she did introduce it to me because I couldn’t drink coffee,” he says sassily. “But I can now, I just don’t prefer it.”
 

“The only coffee you ever ordered is coffee latte, Jongin. And it was just once for the whole year I’ve worked here.”
 

“Well that just says how much your coffee doesn’t it, Jongdae hyung?”
 

Jennie laughs as Jongdae threatens to put out all the ice and put in hot water to make a hot chocolate instead. “You can’t do that to a costumer! I’m going to file a complaint!” Jongin protests jokingly.
 

“You will never file a complaint against me. You love my chocolate too much for that,” Jongdae sticks out his tongue at him. Jongin just grumbles a little, not even able to deny it.
 

Jennie shakes her head again, smiling to herself as the two continue to bicker. Her vision turns to the glass door of the café only to see a guy in front of the café, his face straight as he points to somewhere in the café. She blinks, confused at the guy. The guy visibly sighs, but starts pointing again until Jennie turns her head and see him pointing at Jongin who’s still bickering with Jongdae.
 

“Umm… Jongin-ssi?” she starts hesitantly, making both guys turn to her. “I think your friend is looking for you?” she points at the guy outside, his brow arching and his foot tapping the ground impatiently.
 

Jongin snorts, “He’s a weird one, he is.” He picks up the drink from Jongdae and shakes the drink a little. “He doesn’t want to step in here because he feels like he’d be betraying the boba shop down the street if he does.”
 

“I’m gonna tell Sehun you’re saying about him,” Jongdae says and Jennie assumes the guy outside who’s looking even more impatient is ‘Sehun’.
 

Jongin only laughs before going out and says a cheerful ‘Bye!’ to them, leaving the baristas chuckling to themselves. Jongdae shakes his head, never getting bored with their antics.
 

“Are you close with them?”
 

Jongdae turns to Jennie, humming a little before answering, “I wouldn’t say we’re close per se but sometimes we’d make plans and hangout because we have other mutual friends.”
 

“Do you know him because he’s a regular?” Jennie glances at him as she makes sure all the tables are set.
 

Before Jongdae could answer, the front door opens again.
 

“Hi! Sorry I came late,” the girl grins at them sheepishly.
 

Jennie smiles, “It’s okay. Did you drop off your sister already?”
 

“Yup, I dropped her off at my aunt’s house earlier,” she says before going to the back room to set down her stuffs and put on her apron. “Did you guys finish setting up the tables? Is there anything I can help before the dishes start piling up?”
 

Jongdae shakes his head, “It’s okay. We’re done. How long is your shift today?”
 

“Well I have class at 2 in the afternoon so I’ll be going by 1,” the part-timer answers. “Why?”
 

“Just asking.”
 

The girl nods before coming up to Jennie, helping her folds some napkins.
 

“Good morning!” someone greets from the front door and Jennie smiles at him as she walks back to the cashier. “Oh? Hi, Yeri! Funny seeing you first thing in the morning.”
 

“Hi, Bam,” Yeri grins. “Do you have morning class today?”
 

Bambam nods, ordering an Ice Americano then turning back to Yeri, “Which is why I need my coffee. Make it good, Jongdae hyung!”
 

Jongdae grunts a little, so many brats coming to this café. “I will make it exactly the opposite way of your preference.”
 

Bambam whines and starts pestering him in his station, bickering with Jongdae as the barista works on his coffee (did they mention IU at some point?).
 

“It’s always cheery in this café, huh?” Jennie grins at herself and Yeri laughs.
 

“Yeah, it’s actually been a little less noisy than usual because of the weather. But you’ll get full experience of the noisy Eris Café once the weather clears up. Our regulars are usually like Bambam right there.” She pointed at Bambam who is now laughing with Jongdae, talking about some show that was airing last night.
 

Jennie chuckles to herself, “I’m looking forward to it.” Getting a job at Eris café seems to be an even better choice than she thought it would be.