THE DARK

jenlisa short fics

So maybe Jennie had learned to love the darkness around her; literally and figuratively. She remembers how scared she was of being surrounded by the dark, it felt like it was slowly devouring her into a never ending abyss; the depression on the other hand was horrible and far worse than the darkness that the night brought. The depression started years ago at the very start of high school, the anti-depressants came into the picture straight away, the doses increased for quite some time especially after the first year of college. The darkness of the night didn’t help, it only kept the voices louder, the monsters stronger and the madness greater.

 

But Jennie was deemed depression-free just last month after her monthly check-up, the anti-depressants were now nowhere to be seen, and Jennie’s sure her serotonin levels were quite high. She never thought that day would come when she’d be free of the monsters that kept binding her in their arms; she never thought there would come a day that Jennie would look forward for the night to come.

Jennie likes to think that it might’ve been because her parents had finally acknowledged her, they had went from ignoring her and focusing on their jobs to calling every other day to check up on her, ask her how her day was and asking her if she wanted to them to come visit her at her University.

 

Jennie also likes to think that might’ve been because of her best friend, Kim Jisoo, the girl had stood beside her since day 1 and despite the depression coming through, the older one never really treated Jennie like this fragile vase that your grandmother would have in your ancestral house.

 

Jennie thinks that it might’ve been because of her love for the course she’s taking up. Music had always been a dream, and being able to study all forms of music has helped Jennie in a lot of ways that’s difficult to explain.

 

Jennie stared up at her ceiling, she knew it was just about 9 in the evening, it wasn’t the usual time she used to sleep when everything was ed up, but it was a great routine for Jennie to follow to help with everything. Although she was free of depression, life still wasn’t exactly perfect, well…nothing’s really perfect, but Jennie now likes to end everything on a nice not, like how she knows that even though bad times may come, she knows good times will too.

 

The bed dips and the comforter is being lifted up, Jennie shifts a bit to look at the intruder. Jennie smiles as she sees Lisa getting under the covers, Jennie for sure knows Lisa was wearing this unicorn onesie that Jisoo had gifted her for Christmas last year; the Thai usually wore it on Friday nights. Lisa then snuggled up against Jennie, the latter wrapped her arm around Lisa’s neck, letting the taller girl rest her head against her shoulder, her face inches away from the space between her shoulder and neck.

 

“Couldn’t sleep?” Jennie mumbled through the silent night

“The power isn’t back on yet” Lisa muttered

 

Jennie giggled as she held the girl closer to her. Lisa doesn’t exactly like the dark, it’s her biggest fear, and sometime Jennie finds it ironic how she’s now the one holding a girl against her arms, keeping her safe from the horrors of the dark.

 

“Are you scared?” Jennie asked

“No” Lisa muttered “You’re my night light” she added

 

Jennie giggled as she kissed the girl’s forehead.

 

“I am?” Jennie mumbled against her forehead

“Yes…you make me feel safe” Lisa said, her voice was getting deeper which meant she was getting sleepier.

“Sleep tight, my love” Jennie whispered

“Mhmm” Lisa hummed, snuggling closer, her arm wrapping around Jennie’s waist while she buried her face against Jennie’s neck

 

Jennie particularly loves to think it’s because of Lisa that she’s not afraid of the dark anymore. She found it comforting how easily the girl take away her fears; one minute she could be battling against this monster under her bed but as soon as her bed dips and Lisa starts crawling under the covers to snuggle up against her, everything vanishes, all the monsters are deemed nonexistent, and everything seems alright with her by her side.

 

“I love you” Jennie whispered against the girl’s hair

“I love you too” Lisa mumbled against her neck, placing a soft kiss against it as well

 

Jennie focuses Lisa’s steady breathing and heart beating. She focused on the calmness of the dark that used to bring her chaos, she focuses on the scary corners of her room that once held figures that would haunt her all night, but now Jennie imagined beautiful fireflies floating around them, giving light to the dark, and she knows she’s totally okay now.