Chapter 7

One and Only You

Eun-Ri’s POV

After I heated up my cup of spicy ramen, I grabbed my soda and made my way up to the rooftop. For some strange reason, I found the dark shadows and glowing stars and city lights peaceful. I sat in one of the available camping chairs and tucked into my food. 

Soon after, I heard the back door creak open, followed by the sound of nearing footsteps. Who else would come up here at this time? I thought, alert. 

Squinting into the distance, I tried to zero in on the approaching silhouette. The person, most likely a guy, was somewhat tall with a lean build and slightly wide shoulders. If it’s a guy, I have to be on my guard, I thought, getting a little paranoid. It wasn’t the brightest idea for a woman to be on her own in a secluded area, like an empty rooftop, at night.

Acting quickly, I grabbed my keys, holding it defensively like I would a knife, and squatted behind my chair. I was a doctor, after all. I trusted myself to know the vital places on the body that could render someone unconscious.

As the figure got closer, I took a moment to brace myself, but then my nerves got the best of me. My heartbeat sped up, the pounding of it drowning my eardrums. Before I knew it, I had jumped out of my hiding spot and was blindly jabbing my arm out. “HA!”

“What the hell?!” exclaimed the mysterious person, rearing back in surprise.

Judging by the person’s voice, my brain confirmed it was a man. My paranoia, on the other hand, told me to keep defending myself, and so I did, charging forward with my makeshift weapon. However, a hand suddenly seized my wrist.

“Eun-ri-isshi! It’s me, Jae-beom!” 

The familiar name urged me to open my half-shut eyes. I was staring at JB as he was scrutinizing me apprehensively.

“You— You! What are you doing here? Are you stalking me?!” I yelled while trying to wriggle my wrist free from his firm grip.

My accusation offended him. “Stalking you? Are you kidding— Do you really think I’m that type of person?” Huffing, JB forced himself to speak in a slower, calmer tone. “I’ve been coming up here every night since I’ve lived here.”

“Wait. What?! You live here, too?!” This realization nearly made me blanch. Is he the boy who lives next door?

“Yeah, on the fourth floor.” Jae-beom finally released my hand, but probably out of slowly emerging shock. “Hold up. You said— You live here, too?!” 

Okay, now he was just spitting my words back at me. He sounded like a broken record.

Annoyed, I huffed at him. “Of course! Why else would I be here on this rooftop?” Was his brain on vacation or something? It should’ve been obvious that only residents of the building were allowed up here.

He shrugged his shoulders, saying, “I don’t know. Maybe you’re a weird person who likes to visit different rooftops every night.”

My annoyance thickened at how quick his behavior mellowed out. How can he be so laidback at a time like this? Now I wanted to punch him.

“Do you even hear yourself? Who are you to call me weird?!” I sniped back at him, practically growling. 

Not wanting to deal with his nonsense anymore, I grabbed my food and drink, then marched over towards the door to head back inside the building.

By the time I reached my floor, my irritation had settled down. I entered my apartment and embraced how quiet it was as I finished my food. 

But as I sat there alone, my mind wandered back to Jae-beom. There was something about this guy I couldn’t pinpoint. Granted, most musicians were quirky and egotistical. At least, that’s what I told myself.

Jae-beom’s POV

Last night was confusing, so I decided it was better to forget about it rather than try to make sense of it. Though it was the weekend, I got ready for the day since In-ah was coming to hang out with us at JYPE while we were working on the upcoming album.

“Okay, boys, what do we have so far?” PD-nim asked as he walked into our studio, but then did a double-take and exclaimed, “Oh? In-ah-isshi! It’s lovely to have you in the studio again! It helps make them productive, don't you think?”

“So far, for this album, we have six songs prepared,” Jin-young explained, which made PD-nim look at us in concern.

“Well, if possible, I’d like to have seven songs, but if it’s just six, then we’ll have to make it work. Any updates, though, JB?” PD-nim turned to me with a curious expression.

“Don’t worry, PD-nim. I’ll get you that last song soon,” I replied, slightly nervous. I wished that it was the likely case, anyhow.

After PD-nim left, Jackson thought it was safe to ask me what was bugging him. “Hyung, is everything okay? You’ve been down lately. Usually, getting through a writer’s block isn’t that hard for you.” With this reminder, all the members looked at me, worry written all over their faces.

I waved away their concerns. “Guys, don’t worry about me. I’m fine, really. As for a song, I’ll have one done by next week. Trust me.” I forced a reassuring smile. “But, for now, let’s take a break.”

My white lies were obvious, but they did the trick, though I felt In-ah’s piercing stare from across the room. Everyone cleared the room to grab some snacks, and I heard Jackson asking In-ah what she wanted to drink in the meantime. As expected, I ended up alone with her.

I barely hid my grimace when she faced me and spoke up in a lighthearted but nosy tone, trying to ease the mood. “Alright, spit it out. What’s up? As a sister, a friend, and the number one fan of ahgase, I deserve to know what’s bothering you.”

“I…I wish I knew. Something is definitely wrong with me.” I stared down at my feet, not wanting to see whatever expression In-ah was wearing. Whether it was pity or dismay, I didn’t want to deal with it. “Most of the time, I can come up with songs in about two days, but now, it’s like my inspiration has gone downhill.”

“Jae-beom, listen to me. As a fellow artist, I understand what you’re going through. I’ve had slumps, too.” In-ah took my hand gingerly in hers to provide comfort. “Hey, isn’t it a good idea to talk to other people for help? You need to get all of this negativity off your chest.”

My head drooped as I admitted morosely, “Everyone close to me is busy with their own schedules. I don’t want to trouble them any further. As the leader, I’m supposed to be the one taking care of them.”

“Wow, I guess we are two peas in a pod,” In-ah sighed as she reclined back into her seat.

“What do you mean?” I asked her, puzzled.

In-ah smiled warmly, her eyes distracted as she recollected something. “Jackson says I act the same way, always afraid to ask for help because I prefer to bottle up my emotions. To this day, he still scolds me about it.”

Just when I was about to reply, the others walked in with bags full of snacks and drinks.

“Yah! How much did that cost?!” I exclaimed, now sidetracked as I surveyed their haul.

“Aiya, don’t sweat it, hyung,” BamBam said, grinning. “Jackson-hyung and I split the cost.” Even though BamBam’s chaotic behavior was tiring, it was good to have him around, regardless. His sunny personality was like a balm to any bout of gloominess that sprouted up.

Suddenly perking up, In-ah brightly announced, “Hey, I just got an idea! I know we’ve all been busy lately—and don’t you dare correct me when I’ve already lost count how many times Jackson has been in and out of the apartment—but I was thinking, why not have a small house party? That’s doable, right? For tomorrow? It’s a Saturday night.”

The boys exchanged significant looks, then concluded that they were all for In-ah’s idea, but they glanced at me, needing me to make the final decision. Sighing, I agreed, and they all cheered. The house party would be held at Jackson and In-ah’s place.

I couldn’t understand why people liked to host parties in their own homes. I, for one, have never invited anyone over, let alone the members or our managers. I liked my sanctuary as it was, undisturbed and quiet with my five cats.

“Wait. Since it’s a house party, who else will be coming?” I asked. 

“Hmmm, well, obviously Hyun-woo and his new girlfriend. And any other friends you and the boys would like to invite. Oh, I might ask some of my colleagues to come.” In-ah raised a brow at me, her tone teasing when she asked, “Why? Is there someone, in particular, you want to invite?”

I immediately denied her claim. “What?! No! What nonsense are you talking about?!” 

A few members snickered at my outburst, but I cleared my throat pointedly.

“Alright, enough party talk. Let’s get back to recording,” I ordered, clapping once in a chop-chop manner. “We should get some of the rough work out of the way.”