Chapter 1

Cyber Abyss: The Void of Virtual Reality (사이버 어비스: 가상 현실의 공허함 )

Seoul, South Korea

Year 2024

PK Group Headquarters, Nam Residence

"Eomma, I'm off!" the 28-year-old Shin-woo hollered as he ran outside to where Hae-ri was waiting for him. "Shin-woo ah! Will you please be careful? You'll injure yourself." His father, Jung-woo, reminded him. "I will Appa." Shin-woo replies and hugs his father. "Shin-woo ah, here you go. I've packed some lunch for you and Hae-ri." Ro-ra, Shin-woo's mother, said and handed him the packed lunches for himself and Hae-ri. "You're the best Eomma! I'll see you later! Bye!" Shin-woo quickly kisses his mother's cheek and hugged his father and ran downstairs towards Hae-ri's car, tripping on the last step on the way. "Shin-woo! I said be careful!" Jung-woo yells after him. Shin-woo quickly stood up, rubbing the injured area. "I'm fine! Bye!" Shin-woo answered as he waved goodbye to his parents and ran to the passenger's seat, closing the door as he puts on his seatbelt. "See you later too, Shin-woo ah. Take care! Drive safely, Hae-ri ah." Ro-ra and Jung-woo waved back to them and watched them leave. "How many times do I have to tell him?" Jung-woo sighed after Hae-ri and Shin-woo left.

----------------------------------------------------

"Am I late?" Shin-woo asked Hae-ri who was in the driver's seat. "Nope. But you're still clumsy as always Shin-woo." Hae-ri chuckled as he looks at Shin-woo's face. Shin-woo quickly kisses Hae-ri's lips and said, "Well, at least, you still love me." He uttered as he winks at her. Their soft chuckles echoed in the car before Hae-ri decided to start the engine. While on the road, Shin-woo received a text message from the NIS Cyber Division, specifically from his brother, Si-woo. "Who texted Jagiya?" Hae-ri asked, fully focused on the road. "It's from NIS-CD. From Si-woo." Shin-woo replied. "What does the message say?" Hae-ri spoke, her eyes still focused on the road.

From: Si-woo

To: Shin-woo Hyung

Hyung! After lunchtime, you and Hae-ri have to come down here at B3, Section 7. Chief Detective Park Sang-Jun have something urgent to tell you about the man you sent to jail and also, he will talk to you about a "Special Mission". He sounded serious when we tried nagging him what is it about!

After reading it, Shin-woo sighed deeply as he placed his phone away. He looked at the photo of her and his family that was taken that year and the photo he and Hae-ri took together with her family the other year. They knew that the "Special Mission" would keep them away from their families who knows for how many days? "I hope this 'Special Mission' isn't what I think it is." Shin-woo said. "I hope it isn't." Hae-ri added as they enter the vicinity of NIS.

----B3, Section 7, NIS CYBER DIVISION HEADQUARTERS----

Upon reaching the agency, they both headed inside with huge smiles on their faces. Shin-woo holds Hae-ri's hand as they entered the elevators. Soon, the elevator showed their destination, B3, Section 7. The elevator doors' opened up, revealing Shin-woo and Hae-ri as they stepped out. Within the room, advanced technology occupied every inch of the place. From a computer showing a high-tech hologram touchscreen to different items that agents in their field use. People greeted them as they walked down the hallway. As soon as they arrived, they faced an eye scanner before they encrypted their finger prints on the scanning machine, identifying them. With a beep, the light indicators turned green and the glass doors immediately opened and made way for the 2 young agents. Soon, they heard their names on the intercom.

Agent Shin with the agent number 7749 and Agent Hae with the agent number 6424 has arrived. Please proceed to the IS Hall (Information System Hall).

Before taking a step they both clicked the button that is attached to their geowatch and the agent suits automatically wrapped their skin. The blue green light coming from their clothes registered their rank as an agent of the NIS.

*Nam Shin-woo, ranked 4.5 star, B-Level, the chaser and encoder of the Alpha Team of Cyber Division*

*Go Hae-Ri, ranked 5.0 star, A-Level, the hacker and analyzer of Omega Team of Cyber Division*

Afterwards, they decided to go inside the hall but emptiness welcomes them. It was pure darkness, they are both clueless to what is happening right now but they choose to stay with each other. "I don't understand what's happening, but I think something's wrong in here." Hae-ri said with a worried tone. Shin-woo immediately finds his girlfriend's hand in the middle of darkness but a scream answered him. "SHIN-WOO!" Hae-ri shouted with agony. He turned his back, move his head from side to side while looking for Hae-ri but nothing follows her scream. "HAE-RI?! HAE-RI?! HAE-RI?!" He keep on yelling her name but no one answered until a hologram popped up out from nowhere.

It was a hologram that looks exactly like Hae-Ri, she's laying on the floor and when Shin Woo was about to touch her, the whole room lighted up like it's usual set-up and and old man around his 60's smiled at him. "Did I surprise you, Shin-woo?" The old man asked as he pointed at Hae-Ri who is now beside him. "I don't know what came into your mind Mr. Park, but what you did is not funny at all." He uttered, wearing the emotionless face of him. "Shin-woo is right, I thought some aliens from Mars or Jupiter had already invaded the Cyber Division." Hae-Ri agreed. The old man chuckled softly as he stands on a stage and gives a speech explaining his goal to create a memory capsule that would be able to store human memories and instill it into an AI before turning on the visual wall in front of them. "That's why a human brain always amazed me. It can create and make you feel a lot of emotions, it can control your body, the muscles, tissues and tendons are all connected to our brain but I'm wondering why only few percentage of it is usable."

"Here we go again, I can't understand what you're trying to say, Mr. Park." Shin-woo frowned. "Did you know that a normal human can only use 5% of its brain function? Well, you're already lucky when you have used 7-9%. And even Newton and other philosophers only used 13% so where does the remaining percent go?" Mr. Park continues, flashing some human brain's picture on the wall. They both shrugged while looking to each other, continue listening to what the old man is talking about. "But that's not the main concern here..." he stopped for a while as a human in the hospital flashed into the screen, displaying a picture of an AI that exactly looks the same like him.

"Now, as the leaders of the Alpha and Omega teams under the Cyber Division, I want the both of you to invent and introduce to the world our newest and latest invention called "Sirius 1101" or 'the memory capsule 13'. This capsule will allow a human to store his/her memory inside this capsule and store it into an AI. In this way, we will be able to create the most advanced AIs of all time." He added, giving Shin-woo and Hae-ri their individual travel cards. "And why do we need our travel cards in this mission?" Shin-woo asked as he gets it from Mr. Park's hand. "Cause you need to do your research in another place." The old man answered.

Shin-woo and Hae-ri looked at each other. "Can't we just do it here? I mean it's not like NIS doesn't have the most advanced technology." Shin-woo reasoned. Mr. Park look at Shin-woo then at Hae-ri. "You're right. But you'll need more than just that. That is why I'm sending you two on this mission. And also, about the man you two sent to jail on your last mission, we found out that he used to work at a US company known as GIACK. He tried sending a top secret military data from the federal government. A data on robotic weapons. Good thing you have retrieved it or else we could have been dead by now."

Hae-ri and Shin-woo looked at each other, remembering what happened on their last mission that almost got them in danger. But thanks to Si-woo's hacking skills, they were able to stop the destruction from happening. "So, where are you going to send us this time?" Hae-ri's tone of voice raised up a little bit. Mr. Park gave them a strange smile before pressing the button on the control system, showing a hologram of a city. "To the place that has the most advanced technology, Zahradni, Czech Republic."