Seo Joohyun, Love Is You

Seo Joohyun, Love Is You

 

She’s late. It’s been 30 minutes already. Maybe she couldn’t show up. Maybe she didn’t even remember this. Aish! Pabo Kyuhyun. Do you really expect her to come?

I sighed and closed the laptop deciding to leave when I heard footsteps then hard breathing. I turned around and saw a young lady, hands leaning on her knees and breathing heavily. After a final deep breath she tossed her head up and smiled.

The girl had smooth skin the color of cream, delicate features, high cheekbones, perfect lips. Her autumn-colored hair was pulled into a loose, glossy knot on her neck. Her eyes were round, long eyelashes that were black crescents on it.

It was her. It’s really her! I smiled back widely, heart pounding hardly. A goddess had come and nevertheless from tonight onward she’s going to be mine.

~~~~~

I saw him ready to leave. I can’t blame him. The fact that he was waiting for half an hour outside not sure if I will come plus considering the fact that he was THE Cho Kyuhyun, the unchanging ‘evil’ maknae of Super Junior, really surprised me.

I ran faster and caught up. He turned as I stopped, composed myself then smiled to him as a greeting. He smiled back widely, his sharp yet innocent features radiated brightly under the lustrous moon that made my heart skipped a beat. Wait--- No, Seo Joohyun, he’s just a friend, a cute, handsome-- Oh,God what’s happening to me?

I battled with my own mind for a while and pushed the thought away succeeding.

“I never thought you’d come.”

“Something kept me back for a while. Mianhe.”

“It’s okay.” He chuckled, his voice like silver bells ringing melodiously in my ears. “I know you hadn’t eaten yet. Let’s go.”

He grabbed my hand with his free hand , the other one holding his laptop,  then pulled me downhill. He revealed a checkered blanket that was laid on the soft grass with the typical picnic basket and juice. I wondered why he called me for this, he just said it was a big deal and his future was depending on it. His voice that time was strikingly serious almost pleading and I couldn’t resist and said yes. We sat down and he got the menu out.

 “Sweet potato salad.” He said and my eyes lit up. He chuckled seeing my expression.

“Your leader advised me this.”

“Taeyeon-unnie did?”

“Yeah, I’ve asked for permission from her for this da-..uhm..friendly appointment. It took quite a lot of my stored datas about Hyung before she said yes.” He sighed before pouring juice at my cup.

“She knew?!”

“Y-yeah. S-she didn’t tell you?” He stuttered. I shook my head and he turned to tomato red.

“You’re getting a little red Kyu. You alright?” I asked and he turned redder. I chuckled at how cute the evil maknae could be.

“D-don’t worry, i-it’s just hot. W-well anyways, here eat.” He said and obviously lied. There is no way this place could be warm, we’re beside the Han River and it’s still the early of February.

 Before I could reply back he extended his hand with a spoon filled with salad to my mouth. I tilted my head asking confusingly but still ate it. It tasted good with all the sweet potatoes in it!

“Love is in the air. What a cute couple!” A girl squealed as she passed by us. Kyuhyun instantly placed his hand on his glasses to hide his image. I did the same in reflex and removed my hand after she passed us.

“Love. That word again.” I mumbled and Kyuhyun looked with a brow up.

“It was all the unnies, and maybe the whole workd, talk about. What do you think Kyu? Sooyoung-unnie said it’s magical. Taeyeon-unnie said love is risky. How about you?” I asked surprising him from the sudden question.

“Uh..uhm..I don’t know. It depends, I think.” He replied shrugging in the process.

“They’ve been in love, that’s a certain. Have you been?” I asked.

He sighed back in reply and looked at the starry night sky. His face was pale under the silver moonlight, making his dark hair seem even darker. His features still sharp yet gentle and relaxed, his poise with dignity, he was glowing. Like a medieval prince, I thought.

After tearing my eyes off him, I did the same and for some reasons we fell quiet as we were enveloped by warm comfortable silence.

“Seohyun-ah.” He whispered and I looked at him. His deep mesmerizing brown eyes had locked with mine, his face was serious until he playfully smirked.

“Seohyun-ah let’s play a game. Unscramble these letters in a minute and you’ll get a prize, if not there’s always a consequence right? You’ll grant me one wish.”

“Why are we suddenly playing? And what’s he emergency you’re talking about?”

“Afraid that you’ll lose Kero-Kero?” He grinned, questioning me back, challenging me.

“Anni. And if I win?”  I replied and picked his laptop.

“I’ll swear to the angels I’ll never play Star Craft again.” His reply was filled with overwhelming confidence, his heavy-lashed eyes flashed with it.

“Play?”

I nodded not clearly knowing what’s on his mind but still agreed. There were 23 letters and 5 words to be made. I concentrated and started forming every single word that popped out of my mind. 

OUEOLOHSUNOJVSEIYOY

“What are these?!” I mumbled and continued typing until-

“A minute’s over Seo. I win! One wish!” He smirked widely, a mischievous one practically. I lost to the agreement, fair and square. I sighed in defeat.

“What’s the phrase?” I asked stubbornly. Never will I grant his wish until he answer s me.

“I’ll tell you after my wish.”

“Nope.”

“I promise you, after it.” His sudden change of tone surprised me. He was dead serious, his voice never been so solemn when we talk.

“Okay. Tell me.” I asked tilting my head for an answer but instead he exhaled loudly got up on one knee and pulled a long thin velvet box out of nowhere. My eyes widened. No, it can’t be a necklace.

“Well, yes it is a necklace.” He said, lips pulled to a wide arch, completely reading my mind. Is he psychic?

“And no, I’m not a psychic Seo. You’re just predictable yet you always surprise me on your own clever ways. And for almost 7 years of knowing you, caring secretly for you, heck even changing my password in Star Craft to your favorite anime character, I have gathered pretty much all the courage, and not to mention the torture I’ve had from the SM family just so I could hear your answer to my one question. My only one wish.  Seo Joohyun, will you be my girlfriend?”

I froze. My heart was beating loudly, loud enough that it was the only thing I could hear. It was like the world stopped and all I could see was him confessing. My heart ached. Tears started to form and they slid down freely.

~~~~~

She cried, not breaking down, but with tranquility. Precious tears falling like diamonds luminous in the dark. Silver light touched the curves of her cheek and lips. She looked like a princess , her hair loose in crimped waves around her shoulders, her wide eyes reflecting the moon. Her face serene as ever even though she was crying.

My brows were knitted together now, confused. I kept staring at her knowing deeply inside I was worried. Worried like hell that she might hurt herself if she does not stop. Worried that it’s because of me she was crying.  I shifted and went towards her. I could feel her now.

“ Mianhe. If you don’t want to, tell me. I won’t be hurt-“

She shook her head and smiled sweetly. She wiped her tears away and chuckled lightly.

“People say we’re the total opposites and yet like magnets, positive and negative, were deeply attracted to each other. I-I c-can’t….I can’t say no to you, Cho Kyuhyun.”

I looked up eyes shining brightly than the stars. I can feel my lips pulling to a wide arch, revealing small dimples. My heart soared up but I managed to put it back to its original position, with effort.

“YES!” I jumped then involuntarily hugged her tightly. Our skin met and I know she could feel that tingling sensation, that pulsating gentle thrill when we touched.

“You’re mine now. Yonghwa’s out of the picture.” I whispered. She giggled and hugged back.

“He’s just a close friend and it’s all because of the show.” I heard her say before pulling back.

“I don’t care. I’ve officially won you.” I answered back. I turned her around and placed the necklace on her neck. “It fits perfectly on you.”

 “From now on every February you’ll be my Valentine. ”

“You’re getting way too cheesy, Kyu. ”

 I smiled, emotions still bursting inside. An unexplainable feeling. Fireworks and butterflies, the stupid movies were correct. She smiled back at me and we intertwined fingers.

“By the way, what’s the phrase?” She asked, curiousness coming back in her ever-loving tender eyes.

I shrugged and faced her. “You’ll know when you get back. It’s timed to reveal the answer.”

She pouted and I chuckled. She beats even the aegyo couple with her innocent cuteness. I pinched the bridge of her nose before putting a small kiss on it, taking her aback. “And they thought you were the patient one.”

~~~~~

I opened it and its light illuminated half of the room. It was an unbelievably wonderful night. Kyuhyun dropped me off the dorm with the unnies waiting for me patiently outside. They saw us holding hands and immediately pulled Kyuhyun and started blabbering about rules and dates and physical contacts which immediately made him blush madly. It was a sight to see and I’ll keep it forever.

I typed the password and waited. Blinking patiently, I can’t suppress a smile when I saw it. He surely knows what I was asking for, he predicted all of this flawlessly. I touched the necklace he gave me: a silver star with a K interweaved with an S at the center, gems with different colors shining brightly accenting the sides perfectly.  Now I know how it feels like. As Sooyoung-unnie said it’s magical yet as Taeyeon-unnie described it’s dangerously beautiful to be in this state.

At the center of the screen were five words. Five glowing words that surely answered the world’s deepest, most confusing questions. Five glowing words that scared me yet gave the air around me a tinge of protection. Five glowing words that made me love him even more. And those five special glowing words were for me and only me.

 

Seo Joohyun, Love Is You.

 

~~~~~~~~