Chapter 2

Beloved Enemy: Chain of Memories

The Water Race was a competition part of the Harvest festival that began at the beginning of September. The harvest itself was a three-day celebration but the celebrations were extended because, on October 13th, the day Ji-min was born was when the blue comet strike the sky, so on the same day, he is going to be anointed Oracle. It was a rare occasion, or that was Jeongguk heard, this was the first year the harvest and anointed happened so close to each other. The tribe took it as a sign of good faith. Five comets bless the sky in one year, but the blue one was the luckiest of them all to the Moon Tribe.

 The Water Race was a way for warriors in training to move up, and there could only be seven winners, and those winners get chosen to move up to the next level of the training. Becoming a high ranking warrior was an honor and came with the freedom that most villagers did not have, but most importantly, they have the chance of being chosen to become the next Twelve Chosen Warriors by Dal, the god of the moon that the tribe worship. For Jeongguk, it was another way of getting closer to Ji-min, and the winner of the race can choose to have a dance with anyone at the Midnight Dance Celebration following the race.

Jeongguk couldn’t help but be angry at himself even though he knew he would have done the same thing if given the choice. The race was to begin at dawn and consisted of seven levels, so it took the whole day, and to celebrate a dance was held.

Not sure why, he woke up so early since he was banned from the race, Jeongguk made his way towards the waterfall, where he usually hangs out, not in the mood to go watch the race. In the distances, he could hear the cheering excitement of the crowd watching the race and drums.

 

As he nears the waterfall, just past maybe twenty feet or more was the entrance to the Ghost Winds, he sighs. When he was in view of the waterfall he stared at it, it was beautiful and serene. He glances around the place, and his eyes widen when he sees Ji-min. He didn’t expect to see him; he should be at the race as everyone else was. His heart thudded against his chest. Ji-min was unaware of his presences as he brushed his hair back, eyes closed, his skin glistening brighter than the sun. Jimin was special, so him being alone was rare, he was the only member who has magic without training and was a direct link to Dal. He was the tribe’s hope.

Jeongguk watched in awe, and not sure what came over him, he slowly made his way towards the water. It felt cold but the closer he drew, the warmer the water got, which was fascinating. Ji-min’s eyes flung open with a shock when he saw Jeongguk.

“What’re you doing?”

“That should be my question?” teases Jeongguk, advancing towards as Ji-min gazed at him in confusion. Jeongguk wasn’t a fool to think Ji-min had interest in him. He was a stranger, that Ji-min found interesting, like a pet but still the way Ji-min looked at him, made his body heat up, and heart pound against his chest.  It didn’t matter, Jeongguk had already decided he wanted him, and would do anything to win his heart.

Jeongguk stopped when he was face to face with him, gazed locked. Ji-min was still, his face tensing more and more by the second as their breath hung in the air, with birds chirping and the sun shining. Ji-min hair clung to his face again, as he slowly brushes it back, his skin twinkling like stars.

“Why’re you here?” Jeongguk asks.

“Why?” replies Ji-min.

“Shouldn’t you be at the race?”

“No, my presence is not required,” he replies, “Besides I find those races boring.” Jeongguk chuckles softly, studying him. Ji-min was different from the rest, but mostly he was quick-witted and teasing. Jeongguk can’t help but find him amusing. His appearance though was deceitful, others who did not know him would mistake him as fragile as glass, but he was far from that.

….

“You shouldn’t look at me like that,” says Ji-min. Jeongguk’s face flushes red, he didn’t notice he was staring at him, competently taken in, but still of making his fluttered heart noticeable, he chuckled, composing himself.

“How am I looking at you?” he teased, one eyebrow lifted slightly. Jimin smiled, loss at words, Jeongguk had him.

“You’re so strange,” says Ji-min, swimming to the other side, as Jeongguk follows him with his eyes. Ji-min stopped, and turning to face him again, their gaze met. A strained tensed silence hung like a curtain between them. He wanted to tell him how he felt but restrained himself.

He clears his voice, “Aren’t you cold?”

“No,” replies, “I able to create heat with my body.”

“Magic,” he says, amused, “Explains why the water felt cold at first and completely warmed up.”

“Hmm-mm,” says Ji-min, “One of the benefits of being a moonchild.”

“Must be a heavy burden?”

Ji-min stared at him, blinking slowly, surprised at the change of the subject, “No, it’s an honor.” Jeongguk smiles warily, not surprised by his response. He has never heard him complain before, so this he was still not sure why he asked that.

“Must be a burden not knowing who you are?” Ji-min asked, leaning forward.

“I’ve come to terms with it,” he replies, not sure why Ji-min asked that question. Was it for the sake of a conversation? Or did he want something from him, “Besides, I love being a part of the Moon Tribe.”

Ji-min smiles, his gaze falling from Jeongguk’s face to his neck then chest. Jeongguk swallowed hard, following his eyes, as they lingered on his broad wide shoulder and invisible muscles. Jeongguk only had on a small vest, and brown leather pants, which he forgot to take off when he went into the water. He was a lot more tanned; his skin was golden fresh beige compared to Ji-min’s, whose skin was slick and golden beige.

 

“What would you do if you get your memories back?”, Ji-min asked softly as his voice trails off.

“I don’t know,” replies Jeongguk, studying him, not sure what he wanted to hear, “Would it make a difference to you?”

Ji-min pouts his mouth, silence for a second, lost in his thoughts, “It would help better understand you. You have unique thoughts and accent. We speak the same language and yet, the way you say certain words is strange. But- more than that I feel like you will leave once you gain your memories.”

Jeongguk bits his lower inner lip, watching him, “If you don’t want me to leave, all you have to do is ask. I would do anything you ask.”

Ji-min scoffs, shaking his head. He smirks, “Really? You’ll do anything?” Jeongguk heard the mischievousness in his voice but he was a man of words, not a coward.

“Yes.”

“Okay,” says Ji-min, “The I want you to go hold your breath and go underneath until I tell you to come up.”

Jeongguk laughs, he fell for his trap, but he was not about to back out from a challenge. He takes a deep breath and holds it in as he dives underneath the water. It was silence. Jeongguk counted in his head, he was not sure how long he could hold his breath underwater, but he had the feeling Ji-min would not let him drown. Or at least he had a special place in his heart.

 

But after only thirty seconds, he started feeling strange, struggling to keep hold his breath any longer, but he heard nothing from Ji-min. His head pounded, and his body screamed for oxygen.

“Alright you can come up,” says Ji-min. Upon hearing his voice, Jeongguk decided to , and stay a bit longer despite his body feeling like it was about to explode, “Jeongguk! You can come up now!”

Just a little longer.

“Jeongguk!” Ji-min called again, upon sensing the panic in his voice, Jeongguk leaped up and brought himself to the surface, gasping for air, and laughing. Once he was able to function again, filled with oxygen, he looked at Ji-min, whose eyes watered, frowning but he could not tell if it was the water or tears.

“Ji-min?”

“You shouldn’t play stupid games like that,” he replied, glaring at him, as tears fell from his eyes. Jeongguk’s mouth opened to protest but nothing came out, he was shocked. He did not expect Ji-min to react like that. His heart tightens in his chest, as he moved closer to him. Maybe he was a fool to think, he meant something to Ji-min- he had to. Why else would he cry?

“I’m sorry, please don’t cry, I’ll get blamed and probably beaten,” he jokes, unable to see him cry.

“As you should,” he retorts, his concern turned to anger, “You shouldn’t play with death like that.”

“Sorry, I just wanted to show you that I meant what I said,” says Jeongguk, reaching forward and gently wiping away his tears. His fingers trembled at the touch. His hand lingered on his cheek, soft, “I mean it, my life is yours to tak- “

Ji-min placed his fingers on his lips, cutting him off, “You shouldn’t say that it’s a bad omen.”

Jeongguk drew in a deep breath, taking his hand in his, locking gaze with him, “Does it frighten you?”

Ji-min stayed silence for a few seconds, studying his eyes, he intertwined their fingers and smiled, “A little bit but it’s what makes you different from everyone here.”

“It’s that a bad thing?”

“No,” Ji-min shook his head quickly, “It’s intriguing.” Jeongguk stared at their intertwined hands, as a flame ignited inside of him.

“Have you ever had a lover?” he asked, not sure where the courage to ask such an invasive question came from. Ji-min’s flashed face deepen, pulling his hand away and swim backward. Jeongguk stared him.

Did I cross the line? He wondered.

 

Without saying a word, Ji-min stood up, exposing his well-built petite yet muscular bare chest and abs, as water trickled down from his body. Jeongguk’s gaze scanned the perfection in front of him, falling down to his lower body. He wore a light black cotton-blend Linen chiffon pants that outlined his thick thighs, manhood, and waist perfectly. He was a sculpture, it was surreal. Jeongguk found it hard to breathe, as he watched him, meeting his eyes once again, as Ji-min blushed, he gave him a shy smile and yet his eyes were filled with excitement.

“I should go,” says Ji-min.

“Will you dance with me tonight?”

“We’ll see,” replies Ji-min, turning around and walking towards the shore, as Jeongguk’s eyes lingered on his beautiful peach bottom, that was perfectly imprinted from the wet pants that cling to his skin, and yet left room for imagination. So seductive, thought Jeongguk, does he even know?

Once Ji-min was out of the water, he turned back to Jeongguk, “Do you have the courage to ask me to dance in front of the whole village?” he asked from the distance.

“You’ll have to wait and see!”

“You’re foolish!” he replied before turning back around, and walked over to a stone, Jeongguk watched him from afar, as Ji-min picks up what looked like a shirt, and puts it on,

“The water will be cold soon!” he exclaims, “They were only warm due to my magic.” Jeongguk chuckles, leaning back in the water, “I’ll show you magic one day!”

***

Jeongguk swings side to side in the hammock, relaxing as the sun was beginning to set. His eyes shut closed, Jeongguk was unaware when he drifted off and fell asleep.

 

“Why?” a familiar soft male voice echoed in the back of his mind, but it was not his. “Why would you volunteer for such a mission? Answer me!”

“This is the only way the King would ever accept me,” he heard his voice. His mind raced to place a face on he was talking to, but it was nothing but empty space.

“Jeongguk,” called the voice, “Please, you don’t need to this, I’ll talk to father.”

“Oppa” a familiar female voice called.

“What? whose is this?” he heard himself, he knew this voice and yet was it was foreign.

“Jeongguk-oppa, wake up!” the voice exclaimed again.

Jeongguk awoke with a gasp, holding up his arms. Filled with confusion, he stared at the orange and purple blazed sky- his eyes adjusting to the place. His heart ached, as the familiar male voice echoed in his ears, as his mind tried to place where he heard that voice from. He placed his hand on his chest, soothing himself.

A dream? Or a memory?

He turns to Na-Yeon who stood beside the hammock staring at him, she dressed in a green chiffon skirt and a pink chiffon crop top with a shawl over her shoulders. Her hair was braided to the side with a flower crown, yellow feather earrings, and necklaces. Jeongguk smiled at her, trying to gather his thoughts. She was a year younger than Tae-min, only twelve and yet moved like an adult.

“You look beautiful,” he says, hoping she didn’t notice anything.

“Thank you,” she says with a huge grin, “Aren’t you going to the dance?”

“Yes, I’m going,” he replies, “Why?”

“Because you’re not dressed up.”

Jeongguk laughs, “I am,” he says, showing his outfit, it was not much- just a blue chiffon linen pants with a white long sleeve shirt, and the only accessory he wore was the pair of silver hoop earrings, he was found with.

“Don’t let them get to you,” says Na-Yeon, “The dance is for everyone, not just the winner of the race.”

“Hmm, thanks,” he says, “Shall we go?”

“Yes,” she says, “Tae-min- oppa, we’ll leave without you!”