Oblivious couple

White nocturnes
Please log in to read the full chapter

3,711 words

Woogyu being oblivious and their friends are too much frustrated to let that slips away. 

 

 

“You guys sure you aren't a thing? Really?” Myungsoo asks his brother, Sunggyu, of the obvious question everyone had wanted to ask but never did. Well until now that is.

Myungsoo is special though. His nickname is patience, but he isn't patience when the thing is circulating around his dumb brother, and his so-called best friend, Nam Woohyun.

Everyone in the school has speculated that they're both dating each other, yet, the pain-in-the- couple has been denying the rumour so far.

“Hm? Of course no. Why are you asking that Myung? You, out of all people should have known that the rumour isn't true.” Sunggyu says nonchalantly. He doesn’t even look into Myungsoo’s direction for the matter, rather busy with the matter in his hand.

Myungsoo slants his eyes incredulously, watching the brother of his biting onto the red apple, munching said fruit in habitual urgency. Oh Myungsoo knows well why. The reason should be here in,

3..

2..

1..

“Gyugyu!”

Here he is.

Sunggyu flips his head at the call. “Seriously Namu. Stop calling me that.” He automatically nags at the grinning man, but the annoyance in his voice can't really outdone the smile plastered on his round face at the presence of the said person.

“Aww Gyu. You surely won’t get mad at me for using the nickname right? Only I am allowed to use it. Am I right or am I right?” The man, Woohyun, quips back with his signature smile widely blooming on the small face of his. The one that will only come out when Sunggyu is in the picture, yet both boys are still so oblivious of the fact. “Oh sweet! You have saved me half of the apple. Thanks Gyu!” Woohyun says, and scoops the half eaten fruit from Sunggyu's hand and bite onto it as soon as he sits down. “Oh hey Soo. Didn't see you there.” Woohyun greets him with mouthful of chewed apple. He pulls a handkerchief from his front pocket and gives it to his best friend to wipe his hand off.

“Of course you didn’t.” Myungsoo rolls his eyes a bit.

Sunggyu grimaces at Woohyun's atrocious table manners. He smacks the back of Woohyun's head. “Swallow the fruit first before you talk Namu. It's horrifying.” He wipes the corner of Woohyun’s mouth with the same handkerchief. “Seriously it’s like I’m taking care of a child.”

Again, Myungsoo thinks, the same conversation everyday, and now Woohyun hyung will…

Woohyun pouts. “Don't smack me Gyu. It hurts.” But still he stops to lean his face so that Sunggyu will be able to wipe the excess properly.

“Serve you right.” Sunggyu chuckles, but his hand still goes to rub the place where he had smacked Woohyun at. The gentle touch lifts Woohyun's frown face up immediately. He hums appreciatively and leans back more to Sunggyu's palm.

“Better?” Sunggyu asks later, and Woohyun nods happily.

“Never been better.”

Myungsoo's eyes turn to slit at the act display in front of him. Seriously. Are these two blind or something? They are out rightly flirting with each other. Myungsoo shakes his head in disbelief.

How could there exist two human that are so oblivious at the same time?

 

 

“So you tell me you guys aren't dating?” Sungyeol asks Woohyun. They are having same class for the evening. They have shared few classes in the college, and usually, without planning, they would end up sit next to each other in the lecture hall. At this point, it has become a habitual routine for them.

Woohyun can definitely say that Sungyeol is the closest to him after Sunggyu and Myungsoo, but not that it’s something bad. Sungyeol is pretty fun. They both like to do prank, and usually Sunggyu would be the target for all their mischievousness.  

Although more often than not that the older would only punish Sungyeol and not Woohyun since the smaller guy would always asking for forgiveness, or one more chance, or simply use a ‘Sungyeol convinced me to do it Gyu, it’s not my fault’ argument. And if that didn’t work, he’d pull his kicked-puppy look on the older guy. Everyone knows Sunggyu is feeble with Woohyun.

(Sungyeol might have or might not have harbour grudge and had sworn he would take revenge someday.)

They have their regular meet up every Friday night. Just drinking and playing; blowing off steam after full weeks of stressful student life. Sungyeol, albeit has just spending a smaller time with the duo in comparison to Myungsoo, he, just like everyone else, has seen how intimate Sunggyu and Woohyun have been. And again, just like everyone else, has been frustrated seeing the oblivious couple.

Like Hoya once said, (“Everyone with eyes would have noticed. Everyone but them.”)

Woohyun's eyes that is still darted towards the outside view shift to look at the guy next to him. “Sunggyu? Of course not. We are best friend.” Woohyun chirps happily. The excitement in his eyes can't be faked. In fact, Sungyeol has noticed, that everytime he asks Woohyun about the man with the small eyes and sharp jawlines, Woohyun would instantly lit up, like someone has just light up a candle in him. The smile that only appears when he saw the said man also would appear whenever they talk about Sunggyu.

“Are you sure?” Sungyeol asks, unconvinced. “You guys were roommate too right?”

“Eung. I don't want to share room with anyone but him anyway. He's my best friend.” Woohyun says, whispering the last word like it's the biggest secret he has ever possessed. His gaze alerted to the front like he's seeing something but also like seeing nothing in particular. His thought has revolving to create the image of his best friend smiling. Woohyun is happy whenever he thinks of Sunggyu. He smiles unconsciously.

“You don't have to do that every time you know.”

“What?” Woohyun snaps his head towards Sungyeol hastily at the words.

“That.” Sungyeol points out his pen to Woohyun's face. Woohyun closes his mouth, swallows thickly, worried that his cover has been blown out. “You were announcing him as your best friend again. No one would do that so obviously you know.”

“Do what?” Woohyun laughs awkwardly, hoping that his disheartened laugh would somehow distract Sungyeol from his deduction. He doesn’t notice Sungyeol was that observant?

“Woohyun.” Sungyeol's turns sideway. “You like him right? Your best friend. Sunggyu.”

“What? No!” Woohyun answers, flabbergasted. Maybe a tad too fast. That just made his answer somewhat sounds more unconvincing to Sungyeol’s alert ears.

Sungyeol definitely can be a good detective if he ever decided to try his luck on that path. Just saying.

 “Look, we are just that. Just best friend. Nothing more, nothing less.” Woohyun the bottom of his lips into his mouth, and tilts his head slightly, the habit that he has unconsciously picked up from Sunggyu.

Sungyeol dons his unbothered look. The one that says I don't believe you. “Righttt.” He says, quirking his lips into a straight line.

“Do you guys really think we were dating?” Woohyun spouts the question after few strands of silence stretched between them.

Sungyeol nods, somehow with a smug look on his face that he's able to make the oblivious Nam Woohyun to actually think of his blatant feeling that only he's oblivious to, ”Everyone but you thinks so.”

“Eh?” Woohyun purses his lips as he is in deep thought. After a few moment passes without an ounce movement, Woohyun startles Sungyeol when he suddenly exclaims loudly. “That’s impossible. There’s nothing between us.” He says as his final argument, waving his hand in denying manner.

Sungyeol throws him dirty look but his next argument is cut short when the professor for the day enters the room, which means the lecture is about to start. Sungyeol clicks his tongue in annoyance but still manages to steal a quick glance when Woohyun places his phone on the table. The screen lit up only for a few seconds, but enough for the tall man to make out a smiling Sunggyu on the screensaver.

And he said they are just best friends. Sungyeol shakes his head in disbelief.

 

 

“Sungjong-ah. Do you think I should talk to Woohyun?”

Sungjong lazily uplifts his head for a

Please log in to read the full chapter