The Offering

One Thousand Years
Please log in to read the full chapter

i'm laaaaate! i know ;u; last week was kinda busy and i was gone again over the weekend. no more visiting my nephew until september now *sobs* :( did i mention he called me his best friend? (okay and a few other people too...but- AUNT RAMEN IS THE BEST AT PUSHING THE SWING!! :D)

next update might be the last for a while. i need to find time to write but i'm also trying to play the new add-on for FF XIV and also Kingdom Hearts 3 lol #busy but I won't forget to write woogyu!

 

warnings: i don't want to spoil anything but if you're sensitive with subtle hints of abuse, well. you got your warning and spoiler.

 

After that little talk in Jumon’s hut, the two of them start to meet up from time to time. Or more like, Jumon would come find him in the forest. The human had an alarming knack for finding Sunggyu out in the woods. He was unsure why he kept letting it happen. The gumiho knew he could just leave for a while and Jumon would stop coming to the forest eventually. It was just that he didn’t want that to happen. For a very long time, Sunggyu had been alone without a companion or a friend. It felt nice to have someone to talk with, though Jumon was a weird one indeed. Back at the hut, the human had confessed he wanted to get to know Sunggyu. After the injury in the woods, years ago, Jumon had been unable to come and find him. Fever had caused him to stay in bed for weeks and when he had been healthy again, the gumiho had been gone. He wanted to be his friend. Sunggyu thought that was weird because which sane human befriended a monster that could kill him any second? But then again, the gumiho was also insane for forming a bond with food. Not to mention that they had totally different life spans. A human didn’t live past 40 or 50 as far as Sunggyu knew. Some of them didn’t even live to get that old. They were fragile creatures like that, unlike the gumiho.

But against all reason, Sunggyu found himself forming a friendship with the young man. Jumon wasn’t afraid of asking him questions and in return the fox could ask him anything he wanted to know about human culture. Their exchanges were never boring and Sunggyu soon found himself yearning for the human to return to the forest. Jumon was intelligent, funny and warm-hearted, a combination that made the gumiho quickly fall for his charms. There was just one thing they never talked about – Sunggyu’s meals. Jumon never asked about the humans he killed. Sunggyu guessed that Jumon knew what kind of food gumiho ate and chose not to talk about it. It was probably no secret to humankind what monsters did to foolish humans. Sunggyu still respected the little sense of ignorance between them and never showed up with blood on his clothes or body. He still ate human livers and hearts, but he found it increasingly hard while maintaining a friendship with Jumon. It was difficult to look Jumon in the eye after he had fed somewhere else. Sunggyu knew the deed wasn’t written in bold letters on his forehead but it felt strange nevertheless. When he killed someone, all he could think about was that it could’ve been Jumon. Why did one human deserve to die and another got to live? What was the difference between them and Jumon? Who was Sunggyu to make the decision who dies and who lives?

One sunny afternoon, they were hanging out at the river again. Jumon sat on top of one of the large rocks and was drawing something into his book, while Sunggyu was lying in the grass and enjoying the warm sunlight. “Why don’t I see you taking a bath in the river anymore?”

He opened one eye and looked at the human. “Because someone ruined the experience for me and taught me to be more careful. Don’t worry, I still bathe.”

Jumon gnawed on his lower lip and looked at the drawing in his book for a second. “You don’t have to stop because of me. If you’re worried about other humans, I’ll keep watch.”

Sunggyu huffed and closed his eye again. He heard the leaves rustle as a breeze went through the trees and Jumon’s warm scent was carried over to him. He sighed shortly. Jumon’s scent was somehow different from the other humans. All of them had different scents, but Jumon’s was…addicting. It was sweet and warm like a calm evening in summer. It made Sunggyu want to rest his nose against the human’s neck to inhale the scent – not that he ever did that. Jumon wasn’t food. It was hard to say what he was – entertainment perhaps? A friend?

“Come on. I can see you’re feeling hot and bothered because of the sun. I know you want to be in the water.”

He opened both eyes and lifted an eyebrow questioningly. Suddenly, an idea entered his mind. Sunggyu sat up and smirked. “Someone seems eager to see me take off my clothes, hm? Is that why you kept coming back to the river, little one?”

Sunggyu rarely called Jumon ‘little one’ but when he did it was to tease the other. The young man flushed and averted his gaze. “N—No.”

Jumon looked at him again. “I just thought you were beautiful when you were in the water. When you didn’t think anyone was watching, you would show your true self and I always found the sight mesmerizing. I remember when I saw you the first time and your hair seemed like it was shining in the sunlight. You looked like an angel.”

“An angel?” Sunggyu laughed out loud. He stood up and went over to the rock Jumon was sitting on. He let his magic veil fall and his brown hair turned very fair. His ears and tails appeared as well. Jumon’s eyes widened and the gumiho could hear how his heartbeat increased. His eyes glowed with mischief. “If anything, I am a demon. Do you know why I look like this? Why you find my looks alluring?”

Jumon couldn’t take his eyes off him. Sunggyu took the book and pencil from his limb hands. He smiled. “Get down the rock”, he spoke softly but his voice held a silent command.

The human didn’t hesitate and followed his words. Even if he wanted, it was impossible to say no when the gumiho used his powers. “There’s something you need to understand, Jumon. I’m not an angel and certainly not human. Jump into the water.”

In a trance, Jumon turned around and did as told. With a splash, the human landed in the river and Sunggyu laughed as he gasped in shock. “It’s cold!”, Jumon shouted.

He chuckled and watched the human with great amusement. “Do you understand now?”

Jumon got out of the water and grimaced at his soaked clothes. “I understand you’re a mean prankster.”

Sunggyu shook his head. “No, I’m a dangerous monster and you shouldn’t forget that around me. Never forget it. Just because I haven’t harmed or killed you, doesn’t mean I would never do it. I can do it. I can make you do things like just now and you wouldn’t be able to say no to me. We’re meant to look beautiful to lure in fools like you. When you’re close, we use our magic to make you willing and then we-“ He made a gesture and Jumon flinched.

“I understand that but…” The human took a deep breath and then came closer to him. Sunggyu stood still as Jumon cupped his cheeks. “I know it’s like that but I can’t help it. Call me a fool all you want. You can devour me, Sunggyu. I don’t care.”

He sighed and grabbed Jumon’s hands to take them from his cheek. Sunggyu couldn’t resist pressing his nose to Jumon’s wrist for a second though. “Don’t say you don’t care.”

“Because you would?” The human smiled knowingly. “I might be a foolish human, but you’re an even bigger fool. A monster caring about his food.”

“I can’t seem to win against you.” The gumiho muttered and let go of Jumon, not denying his words about caring for the other. It was true that Sunggyu didn’t want Jumon to die. He cared about him and it was somewhat scary. He had never cared about anything in his life, not even the other foxes or gumiho.

“Does there have to be a winner?” Jumon laughed lightly and

Please log in to read the full chapter