Chapter 9

Here We Are
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hae, I have some news!” Hyukjae said as he burst through the door of Donghae’s trailer. The brunet was working on his laptop, but as soon as he saw Hyukjae he slammed the laptop closed and gave Hyukjae an expression that was so innocent it could only be fake. Hyukjae grinned and after walking over to the brunet, he tapped on the closed computer. “Are you watching without me?”

“No!”

“Then are you reading fanfiction about us without me?”

“You know about those?!” Donghae gasped. “I mean, no! I wasn’t.”

Hyukjae gave his boyfriend a flirty smile and tried to slide the computer out of his hands, but the brunet kept a tight grip on it. “Come on. I want to see what you were looking at.”

“You can’t.” Donghae slid the computer behind his back and leaned on it to keep it away from the nosy blond. He hadn’t been doing anything bad, in fact, he was helping Hyukjae’s fan club organize a food truck event for a new project the blond would be filming soon. He didn’t want to ruin the surprise that the fans had worked so hard on. Plus, his boyfriend still didn’t know that he was a fan. “You said you have news. What is it?”

Hyukjae straddled the brunet’s lap and eyed him suspiciously. He knew Donghae was trying to distract him, but he was excited, so he decided to let it go. “I got a movie offer!” He pulled a rolled-up contract from his back pocket and showed it to the brunet.

"Another one?" The hype around their couple award was nothing compared to the praise and support they received after Aiden and Eunhyuk's kiss went public. And after the overwhelming success of their on-screen relationship, Hyukjae had barely been given a moment's rest. Not only did the director make him fight the horde of zombies that had trapped them in the warehouse and given them both twice as many lines going forward, but the two actors had also been bombarded by paparazzi, sponsorships, and interview requests. Directors that Hyukjae had auditioned for months ago were all suddenly calling with job offers. Donghae's feelings about his boyfriend’s skyrocketing popularity were mixed, but he could tell that Hyukjae was excited, so he smiled at the news. "What kind of movie is it?"

"It's called 'Obsessed' and it's a dark thriller about a stalker. Guess who the stalker is… it's me! It’s my first lead role!" Hyukjae threw his arms around the brunet and hugged him tightly. "Isn't it exciting?!"

"Yeah, that's great, Babe. You can get tips on being a stalker from Ryeowook." Donghae tried his best not to sound salty, but it was difficult. Not only were they both too busy to see each other as often, but when Donghae did get a chance to see his boyfriend during work, he had to be very careful about what he said and how he touched the blond. They couldn’t even make out in hidden corners anymore because every time they turned around Ryeowook was in their face snapping pictures. It made his stylist happy since she didn’t have to touch up his makeup all the time, but Donghae was annoyed; he missed being able to kiss his boyfriend throughout the day. "When do you start filming?"

"Next week. It's hardly enough time to prepare, but I couldn't turn it down. I can't believe I will get to add stalker to my resume," Hyukjae said with an amused shake of his head. “Let’s celebrate!”

“We can’t celebrate yet.”

“Why not?” There was a knock on the door and Donghae threw up his arms as if he had just performed a magic trick. Hyukjae stood up from his boyfriend’s lap and answered the door. When he saw the petite woman on the other side, Hyukjae grinned from ear to ear. His boyfriend wasn't as thrilled by their guest. “Donghae, it’s your mom!”

"I know, she sent me a text just before you got here. What are you doing here, Mom?"

The older woman stepped into the trailer with a smile and looked both of the boys over. “It seems the text worked since you’re both dressed this time." She kissed Hyukjae on the cheek, then she walked over to her son and did the same to him. “You won't visit me, so I had to come visit you."

"I've been busy."

"I can see that…" She tugged on the collar of Donghae’s shirt and arranged it to hide the hickey on his neck, then she turned her attention to Hyukjae. "It looks like you've been treating my son well."

Hyukjae knew the woman supported their relationship, so he wasn’t embarrassed. "He treats me well too."

"Hyukjae!" Donghae hissed. Even though he wasn’t embarrassed by their relationship, he still didn’t want to talk about their life with his mother.

"What?" Hyukjae asked while giving the brunet his most innocent expression. "It's true!"

"You two haven't been seen in public together since you kissed. Are you hiding? People might start to think you're ashamed. I'm taking you both to Seoul tonight and we're going to have a nice dinner together with lots of witnesses."

"Mom, Hyukjae’s too busy for a publicity stunt. He’s been shooting action scenes all day and he's exhausted."

Hyukjae’s smile finally faltered. He was confused and a little hurt by Donghae's words. It was true that he had been working nonstop and he was exhausted, but he also liked the idea of spending time with Donghae and his mom away from the obligations and prying eyes around the set.

"That's why he needs to eat! He needs his strength. Now, stop making excuses and pack your toothbrushes. I'll wait for you in the car."

"What was that about?" Hyukjae asked his boyfriend as soon as the door closed behind the woman. “Didn’t we agree to celebrate tonight? Why can’t we do it with your mom?”

"My mom can be a handful and Seoul is far away. I didn't think you'd want to go."

"Are you kidding?" Hyukjae ran his fingers through Donghae's hair and kissed him on the cheek. "If we go to Seoul, we will finally be able to sleep in a real bed..." He kissed the brunet's jawline. "... and shower in a bathroom that's big enough for both of us…" He nuzzled his boyfriend's neck and kissed his shoulder. "... and we can be as loud as we want to be…”

“Not if my mom is there.”

Hyukjae scoffed. “If it was up to your mom, all we would do is have ! I love your mom."

"Only my mom?" Donghae asked with a pout.

Hyukjae smiled softly and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend's slim waist. "Are you being jealous again?"

"No. I'm just worried we won't have any time to ourselves at this rate."

"Donghae?" He tilted the brunet's face so he could look into his boyfriend's eyes. "You're busy, but you always make time for me, right?" The brunet nodded and Hyukjae smiled. "I'm always going to make time for you too. Do you know why?"

“Why?"

Hyukjae nuzzled his boyfriend's neck again, then whispered into his ear. "Because I love you." When he pulled away to see Donghae's reaction, he wasn't disappointed. The brunet's cheeks were pink, but for once it wasn’t from embarrassment, and his pout had turned into a smile that lit up his whole face. Hyukjae cupped his boyfriend's flushed cheeks in his hands and kissed the brunet affectionately. “Now, go get your toothbrush.”

 

 

When they arrived at the restaurant, they were given a booth for privacy. Donghae tried to take the middle seat, but his mother pushed him aside and insisted Hyukjae sit in the middle so that she could be beside him. “How has my favorite actor been?” she asked once they were all settled.

Hyukjae looked at the brunet to hear his answer, which made Donghae scoff and roll his eyes. “She’s talking about you.”

The blond laughed and gave the woman his sincerest smile, which was also his gummiest smile. “I’ve been good. Actually, I was just offered the lead role in a movie, so you’re going to be seeing your favorite actor on the silver screen soon.”

“It’s the least

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter