First

Guerrilla Concert
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Look, there!” Yujin pointed the area with her chin, turning to the shorter girl with a smug look, “It’ll be a memorable place for us since we’re going to rock the place later.”

“ Rock ?” Minjoo laughed while repositioning the guitar case strap on her shoulder. “We’re not some rock band, Yujin.”

“Okay, hype.” Yujin pouted. She saw the slight movement of Minjoo’s lips and quickly added, “We’re not going to argue over this, okay?”

Minjoo just laughed. She shifted her attention back to the open area of the playground. They had picked Hongdae since the place swarms with young adults, which is their target audience and they need to leave an impression on the right group of people if they want to succeed.

“Which reminds me back to our business in hand,” Yujin put her backpack on the ground and started rummaging inside. She then took a stack of photocopied papers and gave half to Minjoo, “we need to promote. Come on.”

“Why it has to be me?”

“Because you’re done with your preparation. Though it was actually because your luck !” Yujin stuck her tongue out as she approached a group of young girls, “No one loses rock paper scissors five times in a row, you know!” She half-yelled, doing some stupid dance to irk the older girl.

And it worked.

Minjoo huffed her bangs then turned to the other side of the playground, trying to find her target which is a group of high school boys. She stepped down from the ledge she has been standing on and yelped when a bright red hoodie flashed before her eyes.

“Whoopsie.” Though the voice was feminine, Minjoo recognized the familiar masculine tone from the stranger. The stranger, which Minjoo assumed a female, shot her hand to grab Minjoo’s, stopping the latter from dropping the papers else they’re going to make a scene. “Careful, lady.”

“I-I’m sorry! I didn’t see you!”

“Nah, I’m partially at fault for running in the crowd.” The stranger looked around, pulling the hoodie of her jacket even lower. The gesture, however, intrigued Minjoo.

“Are you okay? Are you being chased?”

“Nope, not at all.” The stranger then let go of Minjoo’s hand, her own hand stopping briefly in the air before moving to grab a paper from the stack, “Guerrilla concert?” She read.

“Ah, are you free at four? We’re having our guerrilla concert here later. It’ll be our first concert, too, so please will you come?”

“What are you? A band?”

Minjoo assumed the stranger was looking at her guitar case since she couldn’t see the stranger’s face. By now, she thought she was talking to a hood rather than a person.

“We’re a girl group and we’ll have one song with me playing the guitar.” Minjoo explained with a proud tone, though something reminded her and she quickly added, “And also Hyewon, another member, but yeah, I’ll play the guitar.”

There’s a brief silence before the stranger nodded, “This is intriguing.” She mumbled, folding the paper to a smaller size then shoved it into her pocket, “Well, best of luck for you. Bye!”

“Ah-wait!” Minjoo stretched her hand, reaching for air as the stranger quickly merged with the crowd of Hongdae. Minjoo tried to search for the bright red hoodie among the sea of people and let out a long sigh because she couldn’t find it.

Well, gone their one possible debut concert attendance.

Minjoo watched her friends from behind, giggling softly at the sight of everyone dressed in long padded jacket. They looked like penguins.

“What’s so funny?” Yena slowed down her pace to walk beside the girl and it took no time for Minjoo to get sandwiched between Yena and Yujin.

“She’s losing her mind because she couldn’t promote all our papers. She’s going to get Eunbi-unnie’s wrath soon.” Yujin started.

“Don’t remind me with that, please.” Minjoo sighed, “Now I don’t feel like performing.”

“Ay, don’t say that. I’ll give you my energy, come on.” Yena jumped to wrap her arm around Minjoo’s neck, laughing at the latter who struggled to break free. It took longer than usual for Minjoo to get herself free from Yena’s lock.

“Yena-unnie, go back to your phone!” Minjoo protested, rubbing her sore neck, “You were watching something before, right?”

“Nah, I’m just strolling through Twitter. Who knows, maybe some good news will grace me?” Yena shrugged, turning her attention back to her phone. Minjoo saw Eunbi turning to her and gesturing her to come. That quickly dropped Minjoo’s mood.

I’m going to be screwed.

“Unnie, I’m sorry.” Minjoo quickly apologized as soon as she reached the leader, “I should have work harder to promote.”

Eunbi raised a brow, “It’s okay. I understand that. Though I’m thinking to change the setlist. We’re performing Sunflower first then Airplane then Really Like You. Are you okay with that?”

Minjoo stopped walking, her eyes wide at the leader as she tuned out Yena and Yuri talking excitedly in the background about their favorite Youtuber updating her Twitter. Really Like You was supposed to be the last song which gave her a lot of time to prepare. But now it moved to third?

“I’m thinking of performing Violeta at the end would be a better idea. That’s why.” Eunbi shifted her eyes to the other members, “I’ve asked Hyewon and she said okay.”

Minjoo bit her lips, trying to be positive about the change. At least it’s not the first song.

“So?” Eunbi repeated, now looking worried since the younger girl didn’t give her answer yet.

Please log in to read the full chapter