Chapter 2: First Crush

Let Me

 

When Jinyoung was seven, he started schooling. He was excited as he realized that there are alot more kids outside their neighborhood. He met Jaebum who's only months older than him. They have been inseparable when in school. Jaebum, who's more fond of of his nickname JB was an only child. Jinyoung wanted to have more friends but because JB was aloof, he would spend more time with him. He thought JB was distant and cold, but he then realized that he was really shy. After school, he would only drop by his bag at home then bike towards Nayeon's house. He remembered the first time he came late to their usual meet-up and witnessed how the younger one threw tantrums. Nayeon did not cry but he still apologized and kissed her forehead.

 

"What was that for?" Nayeon asked.

 

"It's because I know I hurt you." Jinyoung replied.

 

"But I did not cry this time, Oppa." Nayeon said, confused.

 

"Still, I'm sorry. I won't disappoint you again." Jinyoung promised.

 

Nayeon smiled. And Jinyoung was relieved.

 

 

When Jinyoung was eight, Nayeon started schooling. He remembered how he would repeatedly excuse himself to look after Nayeon who's classroom was on the other side of the building. JB also seemed to be more outgoing lately. Aside from Jinyoung, JB would also play with the other kids. Jinyoung introduced JB to Nayeon since JB also lives in the same neighborhood as them, and that's when the duo became a trio.

 

One Saturday, JB and Jinyoung biked to Nayeon's house to play with her but as they arrive, they were surprised upon seeing that Nayeon now has a bike of her own.

 

"Dad bought me one so that I won't be bugging you out anymore!" Nayeon proudly stated.

 

"You would bug us more now though." JB answered.

 

"Nayeon-ah, you haven't rode a bike alone yet right? We need to teach you first." Jinyoung explained.

 

"Teach? Why? I can--" Nayeon tried to ride but she tripped on her own.

 

Nayeon did not cry but she earned a bruise on her left knee. Jinyoung hurriedly attended to her while JB asked for a first aid kit from their house.

 

"I told you to listen to me, right? You always get in trouble when you don't." Jinyoung scolded her.

 

Nayeon was quiet. She knew Jinyoung was mad. As JB arrived, Jinyoung immediately tended her wounds.

 

They were both silent. Even JB who felt the tension between the two kept himself from saying anything. As Jinyoung finished dressing her wound, he felt a smack of lips on his forehead. He was surprised as he looked up and saw Nayeon's teary eyes.

 

"I'm sorry--" Nayeon cried, almost choking.

 

"Yah, why are you crying?" Jinyoung was worried.

 

"Because you are mad!" Nayeon answered in between sobs.

 

"Don't cry, okay? I'm not mad, I'm just... worried." Jinyoung explained.

 

Nayeon did not answer. JB approached the two and patted Nayeon's head.

 

"Nayeon-ah, if you're hurt, Jinyoung and I get worry. So you have to listen to us, okay?" JB said.

 

"I'm sorry, Oppa." Nayeon nodded.

 

On their way home, Jinyoung was still quiet. The scene earlier kept on flashing back to him. He was not sure why he kept on thinking about Nayeon' face and how his heart was hurt when she apologized.

 

"Are you okay?" JB asked.

 

"Yeah, why ask? Jinyoung asked back.

 

"You're unusually silent this time. Are you still worried about Nayeon?" JB was curious.

 

"I don't know. I guess. I'm not sure." Jinyoung answered.

 

JB smiled. He did not ask further. He understood Jinyoung, and maybe more than Jinyoung understood himself.

 

 

When Jinyoung was twelve, he had his first crush. It started when they entered Middle School when he realize that he was attracted to one of his classmates. Jisoo was the most beautiful girl in their campus and every boy seemed to be smitten by her charms. She was kind and gentle and soft spoken. Jinyoung can't help but notice how different she was to the loud and playful Nayeon. They started to become closer. Jinyoung remembered her sweet fragrance, her angelic smile and how her eyes disappear while smiling. They would eat lunch and even study together.

 

For years, that has been his daily routine. At school, Jinyoung would spend his time with Jisoo and JB. And when he gets home, he would still bike with Nayeon and JB, play video games with JB and watch late night movies and tv shows with Nayeon. Nothing changed until they reached High School.

 

 

When Jinyoung was seventeen, Nayeon transferred to JYP High School. Things started to change as he realized that he was caught up between spending time with Jisoo and looking out for Nayeon. JB also noticed this and started to meddle.

 

"Nayeon is not a kid anymore. You should stop doing these things, Jinyoung-ah." JB said.

 

"What do you mean?" Jinyoung was confused.

 

"If you really like Jisoo, then man up and ask her out. Don't give her mixed signals." JB exclaimed.

 

Jisoo was every boy's dream girl in the campus but Jinyoung was not sure why after all these years he did not dare to ask her out despite crushing on her for a long time already.

 

"You don't like me enough, Jinyoung-ah." Jisoo said upon hearing Jinyoung's confession.

 

Jinyoung was surprised by what Jisoo said.

 

"We've known each other for years and I admit that there are times when I'm sure you like me. But you and JB has always been by my side but you never confessed in that span of time." Jisoo claimed. "You may have liked me but it wasn't strong enough for you to want me and you were satisfied of our friendship, so I suppose you don't like me enough, right?"

 

"I was... not even sure anymore, Jisoo-yah." Jinyoung confessed.

 

"You cannot like me enough if you like someone else more." Jisoo winked. "Maybe if you met me first, then we'll be talking."

 

Jinyoung knew what she means but he was not sure. He was happy though to release the tension between him and Jisoo. For once, he has been honest with his feelings for her, maybe it's time for him to be honest with himself.