Chapter 1: First Friend

Let Me

                          

                                   

 

When Jinyoung was four, he only played with his toy robots and legos. He had a younger sibling, who was just months old at that time. He tried to play with her by throwing a small pillow, thinking the baby would throw it back to him, but instead of making her smile, it scared her and made her cry. That time, he remembered how her mother let a deep sigh. She knelt before him and said that his little sister cannot play yet like him and that she wanted him to understand that what he did was wrong and that he needed to apologize. He did, and he kissed his sister's forehead and the little baby smiled from the gesture.

 

When Jinyoung was six, he asked his parents if he can make new friends as his only sister only plays with her dolls. They lived in a neighborhood where houses were separated with fences and Jinyoung hasn't tried going out aside from family outings and events. Based from what he sees outside his bedroom window, it also seemed like there are no other kids living in the neighborhood, or maybe they are not fond of going out too. He remembered how his parents look at each other, as they gave him a favorable response. He hurriedly went of the house with his dad teaching him how to play soccer. The next day, his dad bought him a bike in which he excitedly rode. Three failed attempts and he was finally on it. He would only bike around 2 corners from their house and when the opportunity came, he bravely biked further more.

 

As he biked around, he noticed a young girl sitting along the sidewalk, playing and talking with her doll. He was excited as it was his first time to meet someone his age around the neighborhood so he hurriedly biked towards her, but as he came closer, he can't help but notice the girl's prominent feature - her front teeth.

 

"Bunny," that's all that came from his mouth.

 

He can't help but focus at the girl's big front teeth, and with that, tears started to build up from the girl's eyes. She cried like a baby and Jinyoung was reminded of his sister.

 

"W-why are you crying? D-did I say some--," he panicky jumped out of his bike to attend to the girl. 

 

"I'm not a bunny! I'm a girl!," the girl yelled at him.

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," Jinyoung wiped her tears and kissed her forehead.

 

"What was that for?" The girl asked, surprised by his gesture.

 

"My mom told me to apologize if I did something wrong and everytime I kiss my sister's head when I say sorry, she gives me a smile." Jinyoung explained. "But why are you still not smiling?

 

"I'm not your sister." The girl tried to stand but ended up tripping.

 

Luckily, Jinyoung held her hand and kept her balance. 

 

"Well, for now, you can be my sister too. I'm Jinyoung, Park Jinyoung. I'm six and I live around 4 blocks away from here. What's your name?" Jinyoung introduced himself, still not letting go of the girl's hand, hoping the girl would respond.

 

The girl sniffed a couple of times before she wiped her tears.

 

"Nayeon. Im Nayeon. I'm five years old and I don't have a sibling and we just moved here so I don't have any friends yet," The girl finally responded.

 

"I don't have one too, can we be friends?" Jinyoung smiled.

 

"But... You're still older." Nayeon was confused.

 

"Then call me Oppa. I'll be your oppa from now on," Jinyoung said.

 

Nayeon's gaze shifted from their clasped hands to Jinyoung's sincere eyes.

 

"Ok."

 

And since then, Jinyoung found his first friend.