White Violets [Chaewon x Hitomi]

The Language of Flowers

 

 

Meet me at the park at 10:00 P.M.

 

 

- Chaewon <3

 

 

 

Hitomi shoved the note Chaewon passed her during class back into her hoodie pocket. The park was eerily silent, the only noise from the occasional car passing by coming home late. She settled onto one of the swings as she waited for Chaewon to appear. A light breeze caused a chill to run down Hitomi’s spine. She really wished she had a hand warmer in this moment. Or Chaewon. But they were essentially the same thing.

“You look cold.” Hitomi turned around and locked eyes with the girl she was waiting on. The moonlight—the only source of light in the pitch black park—gave Hitomi just enough vision to make out Chaewon’s features. She was barefaced and her hair was the same as it was during school earlier in the day, simple. She wore a worn out pair of jeans along with a white hoodie, the phrase “I ♡ Fancy” in bold letters sprawled across. Ironic, considering her outfit was anything but fancy. Yet, Hitomi couldn’t help herself from being captivated by Chaewon. “Sorry, I took so long.”

“It’s okay. I didn’t wait long.” Hitomi lied. She’s been there for almost fifteen minutes, but seeing Chaewon made it all worth it. Chaewon made her way over to the swing set and stood in front of Hitomi. It was then that she noticed Chaewon kept one hand behind her back the whole time. She attempted to maneuver her body to sneak a peek at whatever the other girl was hiding, but every move was matched by Chaewon. “Nope!” A wide smile graced Chaewon’s face. Just seeing that smile was enough for Hitomi to lose her thought, her heart fluttering. “It’s a surprise! Be patient, Hiichan.” Chaewon giggled, flicking Hitomi’s forehead with her free hand.

Hitomi pouted, a whine escaping from her lips. She placed her cool hand against her forehead, contrasting the heat she felt from a simple touch and playfully glared at Chaewon. “So mean…” Chaewon reflected Hitomi’s glare back before falling into a fit of laughter. Hitomi attempted to feign her own anger for as long as she could, but Chaewon’s laughter was infectious. No, Hitomi takes that back. Simply being around Chaewon just brings those happy, light-hearted feelings. It made it an almost impossible task to feel anything but happiness and another feeling that she refuses to acknowledge.

After their laughter died down, the atmosphere took a sudden tense turn. Chaewon’s face became serious and Hitomi’s nerves began to kick in, her heart trembling in her chest. “Hitomi,” Chaewon mumbled, moving closer to Hitomi so that their knees were barely touching, both hyper-aware of the constant, subtle contact. “I didn’t just call you out here to goof around.” She leaned down to take hold on Hitomi’s hand, gently tracing circles with her thumb. “Although, I do enjoy those moments with you too.”

Hitomi glanced around the park, checking to see if anyone else was present despite knowing it was so late that everyone was already in bed. Chaewon intertwining their fingers together brought Hitomi back to her. “What did you want to talk about?” Hitomi asked, swallowing the nervous lump in . She didn’t have to though. She knew what this was about the moment Chaewon passed her the note.

“Honda Hitomi, I am in love with you.” Hitomi’s heart danced, treating Chaewon’s words as the most beautiful piece of music it has ever heard. Yet, her head shook no, rejecting her.

“Chaewon, please…” Hitomi begged, her eyes squeezed tightly. She knew this was going to happen, yet she prayed that Chaewon would never admit it so they didn’t have to deal with it.

“Hitomi, I know you love me too.” Chaewon said with a subtle hint of desperation. “I know I’m not the only one feeling something between us.”

Hitomi was at an absolute loss for words as she tried to explain her feelings. Chaewon squeezed her hand in reassurance, letting the other girl know she will be patient. Hitomi opened her eyes, and looked at Chaewon’s. She had a light, reassuring smile resting upon her face as she stared down at Hitomi. There was no point in denying it, Hitomi knew that she was in love with Kim Chaewon.

After a long, drawn out silence, Hitomi finally muttered,“It’s complicated, Chaewon.”

“Is it because of your parents?” Chaewon inquired.

Hitomi just nodded. “You know them, they’d never be okay with it. They’re too stuck in their old ways.” The moon suddenly became very interesting to Hitomi as she tried to look anywhere but Chaewon, fearing seeing the hurt in the other girl’s eyes would waver her decision. Even as Chaewon moved closer, her vision didn’t budge.

“Do you love me?” She suddenly shifted the topic, causing Hitomi to furrow her brow.

“You’re being weird…” Hitomi said, avoiding the question.

“That doesn’t answer me.” Chaewon urged, releasing their hand and taking two steps back. Hitomi instantly missed the warmth, both internal and external, provided by the presence and proximity of the other girl.

“Yes.” Her voice came out small and shaky, confidence lacking from her response. She cleared and tried again. “I am in love with you.” Chaewon’s face instantly lit up. Hitomi thought she was even brighter than the moon and the stars. From behind her back, Chaewon pulled out a small bouquet of white flowers. She gently handed it over to Hitomi, careful to not to squish any of its petals or leaves.

Upon closer inspection, the flower had 5 petals and a yellow center, their stems tied together with a peach-colored ribbon. It was simple, yet absolutely beautiful. Similar to the one who gave me these, Hitomi thought. “They’re white violets.” Chaewon explained, moving from her spot in front of Hitomi to the empty swing next to her.

“They’re beautiful. Thank you.”

“I--I actually chose those because they symbolize something.” She took out a small, crumpled piece of paper and read whatever was written on it. Hitomi guessed it was from the florist Chaewon bought these from. “White violets mean ‘let’s take a chance on happiness’.” Chaewon twisted her swing so that her body was facing more towards Hitomi. “Hiichan,” Her voice was soft and sweet. Hitomi could feel the affection Chaewon has towards her from her tone alone. “I know your parents not accepting us is making you hesitate, but you shouldn’t let that stop you from being happy.” Chaewon paused to brush a loose strand of Hitomi’s hair behind her ear. “You—Actually, we can get through it together.”

Hitomi wiped a stray tear from her cheeks as moved to stand in front of Chaewon, her arms wide opened, inviting the other girl in. Chaewon did not hesitate in wrapped her arms around Hitomi’s waist, burying her face into the other girl’s shoulder. “Okay,” Hitomi said. “Let’s take a chance on happiness.”






////

 

hello i wrote this in an hour this morning...got randomly inspired i guess?

 

If it wasnt obvious enough, white violets symbolize an invitation to gamble on love (and innocence)



twt: @lovehiichan

curiouscat.me/chaetomi

<3