Chapter 5

Lake Orion (I Know What You Did Last Summer)

 

For some reason, it takes weeks for them to have a movie night together. Maybe it’s because they’re usually off doing their own things. Despite whatever reason, Chorong finds herself squished on the couch between Eunji and Bomi. Namjoo sits on the other side of Eunji while Hayoung sits at her feet. Meanwhile, Naeun has made herself comfortable in the armchair, a fluffy blanket tucked around her shoulders and a bowl of popcorn in her lap.

 

“Who voted for this movie again?” Eunji complains. She’s curled up to Namjoo, practically turning her whole body away from Chorong. This doesn’t stop them from being pressed up against each other though, and Chorong tries not to focus too much on how every time Eunji moves, her bare leg brushes against Chorong’s. “It’s boring!” Eunji says.

 

“What, not enough gore?” Bomi jokes from Chorong’s other side. She’s more or less pressed up against Chorong too, but the only difference is that Bomi is holding her hand, fingers interlocked in a way that feels almost too intimate. “You can pick the next movie,” Bomi tells Eunji.

 

“Don’t give her that kind of power!” Namjoo protests. “I’m going to have nightmares for weeks if she picks.”

 

“You’re just a scaredy cat,” Eunji laughs. She ends up standing from the couch, making sure not to step on Hayoung. She stretches her hands over her head and says, “I’m going to go find something else to do. Someone come find me when this movie is over.”

 

“Isn’t the point of this movie night for us all to hang out together?” Hayoung points out from where she is now sprawled out on the floor. 

 

Eunji laughs and gently pokes her side with her foot. “Trust me,” Eunji says. “You’ll enjoy the movie more without me here. Besides, I’m sure you can live without me for another forty-five minutes.”

 

“We have the alcohol though,” Namjoo says, and she’s right. Scattered around them are haphazardly crushed cans of beer. They’re all at least buzzed by now. “Just stay, Eunji.”

 

“Nope,” Eunji says shaking her head. She plucks two more cans of beer off the table and says, “Just come find me later.” With that, she gives a lazy wave and slinks out of the room.

 

Chorong watches Naeun watch her go, but before she can think much about it, Bomi is laying her head on her shoulder. She tries not to tense, but she can’t help but glance down at the other girl in surprise. Bomi just smiles sweetly back up at her.

 

“Is this okay?” Bomi asks.

 

Chorong doesn’t answer immediately. She feels warm and safe, but that feeling is quickly met with a rising sense of panic. Chorong can’t think of a time she’s ever felt this way about anyone. It’s terrifying, especially with Chorong keeping the secrets she is. Unnerved by her rush of affection for Bomi, Chorong quickly untangles herself from her.

 

“Chorong,” Bomi tries to stop her.

 

“I’m fine,” Chorong says. She gives her a strained smile and ignores the other girls subtly watching them. She reaches out and squeezes Bomi’s arm. “Really. I think I just need some fresh air.”

 

Bomi frowns, and Chorong feels even more panicked at how endearing she finds the little crease between her brows. “Are you sure?” Bomi asks.

 

“I’m sure,” Chorong nods. “I’ll be right back. Just give me like fifteen minutes. Thirty minutes max.”

 

“Okay,” Bomi agrees hesitantly. She sinks back into the couch and eyes Chorong. “Text me if you want any company.”

 

“I will.”

 

Chorong eases herself out of the media room and shuts the door firmly behind her. With a shaky deep breath, Chorong just starts wandering around the house. She absently glances into each bedroom, unsure of what she’s looking for until she finds Eunji sitting on the back porch with a beer in one hand as she stares up at the night sky.

 

“Mind if I join you?” Chorong asks quietly.

 

Eunji glances over her shoulder, showing no sign of surprise. Instead, she smiles crookedly and holds out the other can of beer. 

 

Chorong smiles back and walks over. She takes the beer and sits down beside her, and this time when their arms press against each other, it feels normal. They sit in silence for a little bit, just drinking their beers and looking at the stars. Chorong spaces out, but when she comes back, she finds Eunji staring at her. Turning her head, Chorong finds their faces closer than she anticipated, and her heart immediately speeds up. 

 

There’s something in Eunji’s face that’s different. She’s looking at her with the lust that Chorong is familiar with, but there’s something else there that Chorong doesn’t recognize. Without even realizing it, Chorong is leaning in and meeting Eunji halfway in a soft kiss. She pulls back for a moment and asks herself what she’s doing. She likes Bomi.

 

Except Bomi scares the out of her. Loving Bomi scares the out of her.

 

There isn’t anything Chorong doesn’t already know about Eunji.

 

Putting her beer side, Chorong roughly pulls Eunji back into a kiss and tells herself it’s the alcohol clouding her judgement. She tangles her fingers in Eunji’s hair and pulls her closer, swallowing Eunji’s moan as she does so. Chorong focuses on this instead of Bomi, who’s just inside and probably waiting for her come back to finish the movie. The mere thought of Bomi makes Chorong’s heart flutter, and in response, she bites Eunji’s lip carelessly.

 

“,” Eunji spits out as she pushes Chorong away. She looks as desirable as she always does, lean muscles and dark eyes, but right now, Eunji looks just as pissed off as Chorong is feeling. “I like it when you’re rough, but watch it,” Eunji tells her, annoyed. She pushes her hair out of her face, and Chorong’s eyes helplessly follows the motion. Eunji eyes her for a long moment then asks, “I thought you said we were done after last summer?”

 

At the mere mention of last summer, Chorong flushes and looks away.

 

“After everything we did, you still can’t even look me in the eye?” 

 

Eunji is suddenly very close to Chorong, using a finger to tilt Chorong’s chin up to meet her gaze. She’s giving her her most charming smile as she slides a hand into Chorong’s hair. Eunji kisses her slow and deep then pulls away much too soon.

 

“I’m not your little toy,” Eunji tells her in a rough voice that send shivers down Chorong’s spine. “If you wanna me, then me, but don’t me just because you don’t know if you want Bomi.”

 

The rude reminder of Bomi cuts through Chorong like a knife, and she pushes herself away from Eunji with a short gasp.

 

“Nonetheless, I’ll be here,” Eunji says with a smile. She stands back up and walks back towards the house. “We’ve always had a good time together.” Opening the door, she adds with feigned casualness, “Besides, who knows if Bomi will still like you once she knows our dirty little secret.” Eunji’s smile is sharp and taunting as she walks back inside the house. 


Chorong buries her face in her hands and tries to pretend there aren't tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. She's never felt so lost before. She knows she doesn't love Eunji in that way, but she can't help but keep running back to her. The kind of comfort Eunji offers her is so vastly different from the kind of comfort Bomi gives her. Where Bomi makes her feel cozy like a hug, Eunji makes her feel protected like a shield.

 

Shaking her head, Chorong drags herself back onto her feet and dries her tears. She doesn’t have to figure out things now. She just needs to hold herself together long enough until she can properly break down in her own room. Plastering a wobbly smile on her face, she trudges back to the media room. 

 

Everyone turns to look at her. Eunji isn’t back yet.

 

Chorong sits herself back on the couch and lets Bomi curl up to her again. She nods and hums at the appropriate times, and she barely notices when Naeun excuses herself to use the restroom. 

 

Maybe if Chorong had been paying more attention, she would have realized Naeun wasn’t going to the bathroom at all. Instead, Naeun looks for Eunji and finds her in her room, laying on the bed and blankly staring up at the ceiling.

 

“Is the ceiling really more interesting to you than the movie?” Naeun teases gently.

 

Eunji turns her head slightly and offers her a wan smile. “I guess so,” Eunji says. She scoots over when Naeun walks over and the two of them lay side-by-side on the bed. After a minute of silence, Eunji says, “You’re missing movie night.”

 

“So are you,” Naeun replies.

 

“No one’s gonna miss me,” Eunji mumbles.

 

Naeun reaches out and holds her hand. “I think we both  know that’s not true,” Naeun tells her gently. She glances at Eunji and says tentatively, “Did you and Chorong get into a fight while you were both out of the room?”

 

Eunji’s entire body goes rigid next to Naeun’s as Eunji says with obviously forced lightness, “What makes you say that?”

 

“Because you’re acting exactly like she was when she came back,” Naeun says. She watches Eunji’s eyes squeeze shut. “What did you talk about?”

 

“Nothing,” Eunji replies sharply. She sighs and opens her eyes. She stubbornly stays staring at the ceiling as she says, “I’m just trying to look at for Chorong. I’m worried she’s going to get herself hurt, and she doesn’t even seem to realize it.” Eunji scowls and adds, “I don’t even think she knows I’m trying to look out for her, as if I’m ever doing anything else.”

 

There’s something about the way Eunji says this, and it makes everything click in Naeun’s mind. If there’s one thing Naeun is, she’s observant. Eunji’s avoidance of Chorong and Bomi, the stares, the anger. It all makes sense now. 

 

“You love her,” Naeun says, quiet and far too understanding. 

 

Eunji tenses even more, like a tightly coiled cobra about to strike and says, “Of course I do. She’s my best friend.”

 

“No,” Naeun shakes her head, “you’re in love with her.”

 

There’s no point in denying it at this point, so Eunji just lays there with her lips pressed into a thin line and glares at the ceiling. 

 

“Eunji,” Naeun tries to say. 

 

The other girl isn’t having it though, and she snaps, “Eunji what?” She shakes her head angrily and stands up. “Eunji what? I’m sorry you’re so sad and pathetic? I’m sorry the girl you’ve grown up with went and fell in love with someone else?” She scoffs and can’t help the tears that well in her eyes. “I’m sorry that you aren’t good enough for the one person you ever cared about what she thought of you?”

 

After this, Eunji freezes like her mind is finally catching up with what she’s said. She turns to leave, but Naeun catches her wrist. It’s a loose hold, one Eunji could get out of easily, but she lets it keep her there. Eunji doesn’t fight it when Naeun gently tugs her into a hug. She doesn’t say anything as her tears fall because she isn’t sure what to say when it’s Naeun comforting her when it should’ve been Chorong. 

 

“I can’t even be mad,” Eunji whispers, “because Bomi is such an amazing person too. Better than I’ll ever be.”

 

“You’re amazing too,” Naeun tells her. She hugs her just a little tighter and says, “You may not ever be Bomi, but you are an amazing person in your way.” She pulls back and looks up at Eunji. She holds her close, sitting on the edge of the bed with Eunji between her legs, but she’s nothing but earnest and innocent in a heartbreaking way. “Eunji, please look at me.  You aren’t sad or pathetic. You’re human.”

 

“Being human ,” Eunji mumbles.

 

Seeing that hint of childish makes Naeun smile, knowing that Eunji hasn’t completely lost her spark. “Chorong isn’t the only person out there,” Naeun says, tugging her closer. She watches Eunji stare at her through dark lashes and feels brave. “I may not be her, but I care about you, Eunji.”

 

“Naeun,” Eunji says hesitantly. She does like Naeun she does, but Chorong has her insides all twisted up that she knows she can’t give Naeun what she deserves. Not now at least.

 

“I know,” Naeun replies simply. She smiles and leans up. She kisses Eunji softly. She focuses on the feel of her lips pressed against her, kisses her how Eunji has kissed her. Like something precious. When Naeun pulls back, she’s pleased to find Eunji’s cheeks pink and her eyes dark. “I’m not saying now,” Naeun says, “but one day. Maybe soon.”

 

“One day,” Eunji echoes. She bites her lip and asks, “Until then, can we… Can we still kiss?”

 

Naeun wordlessly kisses her again and pulls Eunji into her lap. She isn’t sure where all this confidence is coming from, but she feels kind of out of her depth. Lucky for her, Eunji seems to mostly snap out of her funk and is quick to push her down onto the bed.

 

However, it is not nearly as easy for Chorong to pull herself back together. Back in the media room, she feels herself becoming increasingly restless as Namjoo and Hayoung whisper to each other and Bomi cuddles closer to her. Her nerves feel frayed, and her mind feels like it’s going too fast for herself to comprehend.

 

Namjoo begins to notice Chorong’s lack of reaction, her mind seemingly somewhere else. She watches the older girl for a few minutes before deciding to go find Eunji herself. She’s the only one she knows who can snap Chorong out of overthinking like this. 

 

“We need more snacks!” Namjoo announces, hopping to her feet. She smiles charmingly at Bomi and asks, “Can you pause it while I get some more?”

 

“You need more?” Bomi laughs, waving a hand at the food on the table.

 

Namjoo nods, easily lying, “Yeah, there’s this specific candy I want, but we didn’t grab it. Just let me go to the kitchen, okay?”

 

“Sure,” Bomi agrees. “Can you find out where Eunji and Naeun got to while you’re at it? They aren’t allowed to just ditch like that.”

 

“Got it,” Namjoo nods.

 

Hayoung stands up too. “Here, I’ll go with you.”

 

“Now you’re all leaving,” Bomi complains.

 

“We’ll be right back,” Hayoung rolls her eyes. She follows Namjoo out of the room and doesn’t even question it when Namjoo doesn’t head to the kitchen. Instead, Hayoung says, “Eunji’s room seems like the best bet, right?”

 

Namjoo smiles, glad they’re on the same page. “Yeah,” Namjoo agrees. “There or one of the porches.” She starts walking in that direction and blurts out, “We should talk.”

 

“Right now?” Hayoung asks, stopping in the middle of the hall. 

 

“Not right now,” Namjoo says, grabbing her hand to get her to start walking again. When they resume walking, she tries to let go, but Hayoung holds her hand tight. “Just… in general. About us.”

 

“Us,” Hayoung nods, like this is obvious. “Like when I should ask you out?”

 

This time it’s Namjoo who stops, and Hayoung bumps into her, not expecting it. “You’re going to ask me out?” Namjoo asks.

 

“Well duh,” Hayoung laughs. “I was just waiting for the right time.”

 

“Oh,” is Namjoo can think to say. “I just thought.. Well… Okay then.” She shakes her head a little and starts walking again. “Like I said, we should talk not now.”

 

“I’ll pencil you in,” Hayoung replies, grinning when Namjoo gives her a look.

 

When they get to Eunji’s room, the door is half-closed, and Namjoo pushes it open without a second thought. She immediately regrets this though, shrieking when she sees Eunji straddling Naeun with neither of them wearing a shirt. 

 

“Oh my god!” Hayoung yelps, running into the doorway in her haste to turn around.

 

“Ever heard of knocking?” Eunji growls as she climbs off Naeun and hands the other girl her shirt. She grabs her own off the floor and tugs it on, all while glaring at Namjoo and Hayoung. “What do you want?” Eunji asks.

 

“Chorong needs you,” is all Namjoo says, and she watches curiously as Naeun’s face darkens ever so slightly.

 

“What a needy woman,” Eunji jokes, already brushing past her, but Namjoo sees the genuine concern on her face. 

 

When they get back to the media room, Namjoo makes up some excuse for Chorong to leave with her and Eunji, and she’s sure even Bomi didn’t believe her this time. Nonetheless, Namjoo tugs both of her friends to the front porch and watches as Eunji eyes Chorong.

 

“Fix her,” Namjoo says.

 

Eunji rolls her eyes, and Chorong at least has enough sense to say, “I don’t need to be fixed.”

 

“You were really out of it,” Namjoo argues. “You weren’t even listening to a word Bomi was saying to you.” This makes Eunji snort, which in turn makes Chorong glare at her. Oh boy. “Listen, I just wanted to make sure everyone was alright.”

 

“I’m fine,” Eunji says, and Chorong scoffs, “Of course you are.”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Eunji snaps.

 

“Why wouldn’t you be fine when all you’ve done is hang last summer over me?” Chorong replies hotly. “Why don’t you mind your own business and leave me and Bomi alone?”

 

Eunji’s face goes red, and Namjoo suddenly realizes this was a very bad idea. 

 

“Oh, so this is all my fault now?” Eunji all but shouts. She points at Chorong and says, “Don’t forget that it was your final call last summer that put us in this mess.” Then her face gets even redder and she adds, “And I couldn’t care less about you and Bomi, but you’re the one that keeps dragging me into your mess.”

 

“Guys,” Namjoo says, realizing they’re toeing a dangerous line. “Stop.”

 

“Then stop ing with me,” Chorong says.

 

“Hey, you’re the one that kissed me,” Eunji counters.

 

Namjoo pales. “Guys, stop.”

 

“You say I’m the one ing with you,” Eunji says, and Namjoo can only watch as she storms up to Chorong until Chorong is pressed up against the outside of the house. “But it’s you, Chorong,” Eunji says. “You’re the one who keeps coming back to me when you supposedly love someone else. Do you even realize how cruel that is? Not only to me but to Bomi too? You’re the one that needs to get their together.”

 

Eunji’s face is still red when she walks way, disappearing in the direction of her own home.

 

Namjoo watches her go then turns to where Chorong stands, pale and shaking. She takes one step towards her before Chorong is disappearing into her house too. Unsure of what else to do anymore, Namjoo wraps her arms around herself and walks home too. 

 


A/N: hello! finally here is an update! sorry about the long wait but school and work kept me busy and i struggled a lot with finding inspriation. i hope it was worth the wait! pls let me know what you thought in a comment! btw thanks to those who've stuck with this fic it means a lot :)