Chapter 3

Lake Orion (I Know What You Did Last Summer)

 

It’s only been a week, but Namjoo already feels like she’s known Hayoung for years.

 

It starts with a simple invitation to go down to the docks with her, and somehow Namjoo has found a new best friend. She can’t explain the way they click so easily, as if Namjoo has been waiting for her her whole life. They are both equal parts kind and playful, and Namjoo feels as if she is actually a teenager again with Hayoung around.

 

“What do you want to do today?” Hayoung asks her around a mouthful of toast.

 

After her parents leave for the day, Namjoo has taken to inviting Hayoung to her house for breakfast, sometimes their only alone time before the other girls join them. It’s so she doesn’t waste the food housekeeping makes, Namjoo reasons, even though she knows it has more to do with the slight flutter in her chest whenever Hayoung is around.

 

“Maybe we’ll see what the other girls are up to?” Namjoo shrugs as she helps herself to more pancakes. Hayoung doesn’t bat an eyelash at the amount of food Namjoo eats, and that’s another reason Namjoo doesn’t mind having her around. “I think Chorong has family stuff today, so we’d better make sure Bomi isn’t moping by herself.”

 

Hayoung laughs and says, “I’m surprised Bomi didn’t try to tag along.”

 

“Oh, I’m sure she did,” Namjoo replied with a small smile. No matter how much Namjoo is sure Bomi tried to wheedle her way into going with Chorong, there’s no chance Chorong would have taken her. Today, Chorong is driving into the city with her father for an important business meeting that may or may not affect the rest of how this summer goes. No, it’s for the best if Bomi is safe at the lake. Namjoo shakes her head slightly then says, “I don’t think she’ll mind hanging out with us, Eunji too probably.”

 

“But we’re no Chorong,” Hayoung smirks.

 

“You leave them alone,” Namjoo playfully scolds, even as she laughs. “Maybe if we’re lucky, they’ll confess to each other by the end of summer.”

 

“That’s still too long,” Hayoung says. She wrinkles her nose cutely, just when Namjoo thought she can't get any cuter. “If I have to spend half my time watching them make gross googly eyes at them, I will lose my mind. I really will.” Hayoung says this emphatically and dramatically, waving her hands so much that a piece of fruit flies off the fork she has in one hand.

 

They both stare at the fruit for a moment before bursting into laughter, and that’s how Namjoo starts her morning.

 

After changing out of her pajamas, Namjoo leads Hayoung down to Chorong’s house where she spots Bomi on the porch. She isn’t sulking like Namjoo expects though, and instead, Bomi is speaking animatedly to Eunji who wears a strangely indulgent smile. Namjoo knows when Eunji is being nice for the sake of civility, but Eunji is being genuine when she laughs at whatever Bomi is saying and absently reaches out to Bomi’s hair. That’s nowhere near how Namjoo thinks you’re supposed to treat your romantic rival.

 

“Morning,” Namjoo calls as they walk up the driveway.

 

At the sound of Namjoo’s voice, Eunji’s hand snaps away from where it is absently playing with the ends of Bomi’s hair, but besides that and a slight shift away from her, Eunji looks seemingly innocent as she calls back, “Good morning, Namjoo, Hayoung!”

 

“Hey,” Hayoung greets with a bright grin as she climbs up the porch, two steps at a time. Stupid, long legs, Namjoo thinks to herself as she hurries to keep up. Hayoung sits down on the other side of Eunji, leaning against her comfortably. Not for the first time, Namjoo marvels at Eunji’s innate ability to draw people towards her. “What are you up to today?” Hayoung asks.

 

“Just keeping Bomi company,” Eunji replies with an easy grin. She reaches out to pinch Bomi’s cheek as she says, “The poor thing got left behind today.”

 

“I’m fine!” Bomi protests as she swats away Eunji’s hand. Then she frowns and says, “I’m just sad. Chorong has been showing me different painting techniques, and today we were supposed to try out water color.”

 

There. Namjoo watches as Eunji’s smile flickers ever so slightly, unnoticeable unless you know her well.

 

“There’s always tomorrow,” Eunji tells Bomi, patting her shoulder, “and the rest of summer too. You can take a break from painting for one day, can’t you? We’ll go swimming today, okay?” Eunji stands and pulls Bomi to her feet as well. The two of them stand close, and Bomi has considerably brightened, talking happily with Eunji about all the water activities they can do today.

 

“Is swimming okay with you?”

 

Namjoo shakes her attention from the other girls to where Hayoung is looking at her with a curious smile. Smiling sheepishly, Namjoo nods and replies, “Yeah, I like swimming.”

 

“Me too,” Hayoung nods. “It’s the best way to cool down, you know?” She glances back at Eunji and Bomi and declares loudly, “We should all get changed then.”

 

Eunji looks away from Bomi long enough to flash Hayoung a grin as she says, “Yeah. Do you want to change first?”

 

“Nah, seniority rules, right?” Hayoung shakes her head. She stands then says, “I’ll walk back Namjoo back to her house, so you two have time to change first. I don’t want to have to wait for a bathroom.”

 

Eunji raises an eyebrow but nods, “Sure. See you in a bit then.”

 

Namjoo says nothing as she walks with Hayoung back down the porch stairs. It isn’t until they’re safely out of earshot that Namjoo asks, “What was with that look?”

 

“You had the same look,” Hayoung retorts, not unkindly. She gives a small smile and shrugs. “Eunji seemed like she wanted to be alone with her.”

 

Confused does not even begin to cover how Namjoo feels as she sputters, “Eunji doesn’t like Bomi. She–”

 

Namjoo stops herself abruptly before she can reveal Eunji’s feelings for Chorong. That would’ve been so bad.

 

“Are you sure about that?” Hayoung asks with a tilt of her head. Her brown hair falls over her shoulder, and Namjoo wonders what it would be like to play with the ends the way Eunji did with Bomi’s. Wait… Oh. “Namjoo?” Hayoung says.

 

“Sorry,” Namjoo says quickly. She nervously tugs on the hem of her shirt. “Do you really think she likes her?”

 

As they walk up to her front door, Hayoung shrugs again and says, “Maybe, but I mean, I would only play like that with the hair of the girl I like, you know?” Then she grins and reaches out and tugs on the end of Namjoo’s hair. “I’ll see you at the docks?” Hayoung asks.

 

“Yeah,” Namjoo nods, but her mind has latched onto the way Hayoung just touched her hair.

 

“Great,” Hayoung says, still grinning, as she walks away.

 

Namjoo blows a raspberry into the air in frustration. Even if they get along well, Hayoung still remains a mystery to her.

 

-

 

Naeun is reading a book when Eunji pokes her head into her room to say, “We’re all going swimming, if you want to join.”

 

“Pass,” Naeun answers immediately.

 

Eunji doesn’t fight the urge to roll her eyes. She steps into the room and regards the girl elegantly reclined her pillows with a book in her lap. “Is this how you’re going to spend your summer?” Eunji asks. “Holed up in a room with books? I mean, I enjoy reading, but the least you could do is read outside. There’s a gorgeous lake right outside your window, and you’ll just pass?”

 

There isn’t really a reason as to why Eunji is bothering Naeun about this, except for the fact that it’s fun to rile her up. Eunji hasn’t seen her much the last few days. She’s either been hanging out with Namjoo and Hayoung, avoiding Chorong and Bomi, or off on her own. From what Eunji can tell, Naeun hasn’t done much else than what she’s doing right now.

 

Naeun finally looks up from her book, but it’s to send Eunji a glare. “Leave me alone,” Naeun says. “I’m fine.”

 

“Really?” Eunji says, not giving up. She slowly walks over to Naeun then leans down with her hand on the headboard, crowding Naeun just enough that the other girl forces herself deeper into the pillows to retreat. “If that’s the case, then why even come here? You could blame Bomi, but I’m sure Hayoung agreed already. She doesn’t need more than one friend here technically, not that she spends much time away from Chorong anyways, so there wasn’t really a need for you to come. You came because you wanted to, but what did you want when you decided to come?”

 

Naeun says nothing at first, but Eunji is nothing if not patient, so she stares. It’s not like it’s a burden to be this close to Naeun anyways. She’s absolutely gorgeous, and her eyes are a pretty warm shade of brown, so unlike the cold exterior Naeun tries to display. Eunji may like to bug her, but she’s also fairly curious about this stranger. It makes for a fun summer. It’s also a nice distraction from whatever’s happening with Chorong and Bomi.

 

Just as Eunji is about to give up, Naeun says quietly, “I don’t know what I’m looking for.”

 

Before she can think better of it, Eunji leans in and presses a kiss to Naeun’s lips. It’s a quick kiss, in case Naeun decides she hates her again and slaps her for it, but it leaves Eunji’s heart beating faster than normal.

 

Eunji meets Naeun’s gaze once more as she murmurs, “Let me know if that helps any.” With another smile, Eunji stands back up straight and adds, “I hope you’ll join us for swimming. We’ll be right by the dock in front of this house.”

 

As she walks out of the room, Eunji isn’t sure what to do with the feeling of triumph she feels when she hears Naeun set her book on her nightstand rather than opening it again.

 

-

 

Chorong is sent home early. It’s a relief and a slap to the face all in one.

 

The meeting was a mess, a room full of arrogant men all stating their opinions very loudly without listening to one another. It was frustrating, but Chorong sat there patiently and quietly. Like a doll. After two hours, when it became clear that nothing was going to get done, Chorong’s father sent her away with a stony expression.

 

“I will explain to you what happened tonight,” Chorong’s father said as he escorted her to the door. He glanced over his shoulder with a look of disgust. “When you take over the company, understand that this is not how things will be done.”

 

“Yes, father,” Chorong said.

 

Chorong is happy to be back at the lake as she steps out of the car, but she also knows if her father really trusted her, he would have kept her there to learn from experience. The mixed feelings leave a funny taste in Chorong’s mouth, but she resolves to ignore it. She’s sure that once she sees Bomi that she will forget all about her father and the family business.

 

As Chorong walks along the familiar path, she slows when she hears loud laughter and shouting. Chorong blinks slowly then quickens her pace, heading towards the docks by her house. When she gets closer, Chorong recognizes her friends along with Bomi and her friends. The thought of all of them getting along makes her smile, but the smile quickly fades when she realizes that Bomi is sitting on the edge of the dock with Eunji hugging her from behind. Eunji has her arms around Bomi’s neck, her entire front pressed against Bomi’s back, in only her bathing suit. Jealousy flares through Chorong like a hot flame, and her face reddens in a way that has nothing to do with the summer sun.

 

Namjoo notices her first, like she always does, and calls out cheerfully, “Hi, Chorong! You’re back early!”

 

Chorong knows Namjoo doesn’t mean anything mean by that, but the reminder that her father sent her home stings Chorong nonetheless. She forces a smile though and replies, “The meeting was a bust, so I got to leave early.”

 

“What was the meeting about?” Bomi asks, and Chorong is forced to look at her and Eunji.

 

Eunji flashes her a devilish grin as she leans forward and rests her face right beside Bomi’s. It’s a mockery of her and her feelings, and Chorong clenches her hands into fists so she doesn’t do something she regrets.

 

“Just boring business stuff,” Chorong says, keeping her voice light, even as she glares at Eunji so harshly that it’s a surprise she doesn’t die on the spot.

 

Bomi nods, unaware of the silent conversation going on between Chorong and Eunji, and says, “Oh, okay. Do you want to change and join us?”

 

Before Chorong can answer, Eunji pipes up, “Ahh, but she must be so tired, Bomi. She had to travel all the way to the city and back in just a few hours. We should let her rest.” Although Eunji’s face is sympathetic as she says this, her eyes are alight with amusement and mischief.

 

“You’re right! Chorong, you can take a nap right now! Then we’ll all have a barbecue tonight, okay? Oh, with s’mores maybe?” Bomi says, turning to her with a bright smile and hopeful eyes, and how is Chorong just supposed to disagree with her now?

 

“That sounds great,” Chorong agrees softly. Her eyes drift to Eunji then back to Bomi. “You’re so thoughtful,” she adds. Bomi beams, and Chorong feels proud, like she’s done something right. Chorong turns to the rest of the group and says she’ll see them later.

 

When she turns to leave, Naeun stands suddenly from where she was dipping her toes in the water and says, “I think I’ll take a nap now too.”

 

No one thinks twice about it and tells them to have good naps, but as they’re walking away, Chorong notices Eunji’s eyes following them. She just doesn’t know if she's watching her or Naeun. Maybe both.

 

“Thank you for letting us stay with you,” Naeun tells her while they walk back towards her house.

 

Chorong offers her a small smile and says, “It’s no problem. I hope you’ve been enjoying yourselves.”

 

“Yes, we have been, thank you,” Naeun says, but Chorong notices the way her eyes seem to gravitate over her shoulder back to their group of friends. She doesn’t say anything for a moment, and Chorong patiently waits, until Naeun asks, “You’ve known Eunji for a long time, right?”

 

Chorong isn’t expecting that question at all, and she finds herself tripping over practically nothing. She’s lucky Naeun has enough sense to keep her from falling on her face, but it’s utterly embarrassing nonetheless.

 

“Sorry, was that rude to ask?” Naeun asks as soon as Chorong is back on her feet. She suddenly looks very young, all wide-eyed as she bites her lip. Very unlike the chic girl she’s been since she’s gotten here.

 

Chorong shakes her head and says, “No, you’re fine. I was just surprised, clearly. I didn’t think you liked Eunji much.”

 

“I don’t,” Naeun says, but the way her cheeks color ever so slightly betrays her. “I just want to know what her deal is.”

 

This make Chorong laugh. When Naeun gives her a look, Chorong explains, “I don’t think there’s really an answer to that. She’s just Eunji. She’s annoying, smart, charming, and stupid all in one attractive body. I’m confident it’s just her pretty face that keeps her from getting hit sometimes.” She says this all in a playful tone, but it’s the truth. Eunji is a mess of contradictions, but she’s a mess in a way that can’t help but draw you in.

 

“She is annoying,” is all Naeun says, but now her face has shuttered back into it’s blank coldness.

 

Chorong lets them into her house and says, “Have a good nap.” Then she tilts her head and adds, “Be careful with Eunji.”

 

Naeun pauses halfway down the hall. She turns towards her slowly. “Are you afraid that I’ll hurt her? Or that she’ll hurt me?” Naeun asks.

 

Chorong purses her lips then says quietly, “Both.”