Chapter 4

Just One Dance

Choi Yuna hadn’t been expecting to see Hwang Eunbi again at all, not after leaving the girl behind the last time. It was admittedly bad form to ditch your dance partner without so much as a by your leave, but Yuna...had her reasons.

Eunha had chewed her out thoroughly for it when the girl came back from her date and started pestering Yuna for details. Yuna had been very ashamed of herself as well. She thought she had gotten over it, but apparently certain things still triggered her flight response. She only hoped that the cute girl wasn’t too mad at her for it.

She hadn’t been back to the club for a few days since she had been busy, but the manager had asked her to come back in to cover for another slot tonight, and Yuna had just said yes without thinking. She honestly hadn’t even thought that Eunbi would be there tonight, but she had spotted the girl drinking in the exact same spot they had first made conversation almost immediately upon stepping in.

Yuna wasn’t sure what had gotten into her when she went over to stop Eunbi from drinking. They weren’t even friends, but Yuna somehow didn’t want to see the other girl binge drinking on her own. Especially not with a bunch of guys discreetly checking her out from the side, as if waiting to make a move once Eunbi was drunk enough. It wasn’t safe, and Yuna was already moving before she could think the action through.

On the bright side, Eunbi didn’t seem too mad. If anything, considering the girl’s attitude, Yuna was almost certain that the other girl was interested in her. The blushing when she got close was very telling. Yuna couldn’t help but want to for it. It was so satisfying to see the girl’s ears go pink when she whispered into it.

Eunha could testify to Yuna’s mischievous streak since their high school days. It had been a while since Yuna had teased anyone else (other than her daily bickering with Eunha, but when you’re best friends and roommates that was probably inevitable), and it felt nice to have a fresh new target.

Yuna definitely didn’t hold back at all when she was on stage later that night. Normally, she played the crowd as a professional performer would, but tonight, she played to an audience of one. And she was sure a certain Hwang Eunbi caught every second of it, if the slightly glassy expression on her face was any indication. It could have been the alcohol too, but Yuna had enough confidence in herself that it probably wasn’t.

Yuna wasn’t sure what the hell she was even trying to do with this girl, but it was fun teasing her. As Eunha put it the other night, it was about time she got out and had some fun. Her tiny best friend had her wise moments, despite her questionable dietary habits. Hamburgers are not a balanced diet, no matter what Eunha said.

When Yuna finally came back out in her street clothes, she was surprised when Eunbi ambushed her by the staff entrance, the slightly shorter girl boldly taking her by the elbow.

“Caught you.” Eunbi was smirking at her, and Yuna grinned lazily back.

“I wasn’t going to run this time.”

Yuna deliberately moved closer just to see if Eunbi would respond, and was amused when the shorter girl stiffened noticeably. However, Eunbididn’t back off this time, squaring her shoulders and raising her chin defiantly, making herself look bigger than her actual frame. It was a lot like a cat puffing up its fur, all things considered. Yuna resisted the urge to pat her head. Why was this girl so cute?

“Let me get a drink first, I’m parched.” Yuna linked arms with Eunbi, moving towards the bar. The dancer looked up at her, eyes a mystery.

“You looked great up there tonight.”

“Only up there?” Yuna teased. Eunbi bit back a growl, wrapping one arm around Yuna’s waist boldly and pulling her close enough to mutter grumpily into her ear.

“Don’t push it.”

Yuna giggled. Kitty had claws, certainly. She didn’t find the sudden body contact awkward, despite the fact that Eunbi was practically a stranger. There was something clean in the other girl’s gaze, and Yuna felt safe yanking on that particular chain.

Two beautiful young women at the bar getting all touchy feely with each other was enough to draw attention. Eyes had already been on Eunbi earlier, and Yuna wasn’t wearing a cap to hide her profile as she did usually. It didn’t take long for some guys to approach them, but Eunbi chased them off quite handily, not even allowing them to even start hitting on either of them.

“My hero,” Yuna grinned and raised her glass at Eunbi when the other girl stomped back grouchily. The annoyance melted off her face at the gesture, and the younger girl dropped onto the bar stool next to Yuna.

“This makes another thing you owe me,” Eunbi declared, raising an eyebrow. Yuna looked amused, tapping idly on the counter.

“What do you want from me then?”

Eunbi took a deep breath as if to settle her nerves, which only served to make Yuna’s grin widen. She couldn’t wait to see what her kitty had in mind.

“Your number would be a good start.”

Yuna smiled, tucking her hair behind one ear. Eunbi looked nervous, but she was making a valiant attempt to hide it. Cute, I don’t think she’s ever hit on a girl before.

“Keep me company tonight, and I’ll consider it.”

Eunbi’s eyes widened, and she turned a very visible shade of red even in the low light. Yuna paused, then thought about what she just said. It didn’t take very long for the implications to hit. Yuna flushed lightly, but was in better control of her facial expressions compared to her shell-shocked companion. Reining in her own embarrassment, Yuna leaned in close, almost taunting Eunbi to respond.

“What are you thinking? I meant let’s go get something to eat elsewhere.”

“I knew that!” Eunbi’s voice would be more convincing if it were less squeaky. Yuna chuckled, all but purring into the younger’s ear.

“Naughty girl…”

She was playing with fire, but did she care? When your target was so obviously fresh, it was almost a sin to not toy with it some more. Yuna didn’t want to think about consequences or responsibility for once. She had spent so much time trying to be an adult that she had all but forgotten what it was like to enjoy herself again.

For once, she would just like to forget she was ever hurt, and live like it was the last night on earth. That wasn’t too much to ask, right?