Chapter 10

Just One Dance

“So this is the place…” 

Yuna murmurs half to herself, flipping the namecard idly in one hand as she looks at the sign. Taxis were a wonderful invention, so she at least got to the right building with minimal fuss. Finding the dance studio in question was a little more work, but there were only so many levels and that much floor space. It didn’t take that long, all things considered.

She didn’t even tell Eunbi she was coming. They had been texting each other on and off for the past two weeks, mostly initiated by the dancer, while Yuna responded at her own pace. It was nice having someone so obviously interested in her, though Yuna would undoubtedly admit that she had been playing a little coy the whole time. 

It was quite a pleasant experience having someone chasing after her again, and a bonus that it was someone she at least found cute and attractive. Yuna didn’t think herself to be the shallow type, but looks were at least partially a consideration. She didn’t have a type per se, but it helped that Eunbi was nothing at all like her ex, which was a blessing in itself.

But she always had a weakness for someone passionate for their craft, and Eunbi was equally devoted to both her dancing and photography, making one her career and the other a semi-professional hobby. It stirred something within her, listening to the younger girl talk animatedly about the things that interested her. 

Yuna decided then that she wanted to see Eunbi in her element, without letting the girl know she was being observed. Dancing was something she picked up later in life, a different way of expressing her love for music in her case, and Yuna didn’t think she was quite in the same league as Eunbi, who had been devoted to it since youth. 

But whatever Yuna started doing, she was always determined to at least do it well. It was what pushed her into becoming one of the best in her class, at least until before the unfortunate accident that had led to her quitting music school entirely. 

Yuna purses her lips, shaking her head slightly to clear it of the dark thoughts that threatened to creep up on her. That was in the past, and she refused to let it haunt her. An ironic smirk twisted her lips; she could almost hear Eunha tutting at her in her head. 

If she were truly over the incident, she wouldn’t be stuck where she was right now, afraid to perform, afraid to get close to anyone else that wasn’t her best friend. Yuna lets out a breath, giving herself a mental pat on the back. She was trying, but it was difficult. 

But at least she made it as far as here. It was a start. She walks slowly down the hallway, past the sign and entryway to the studio, wandering instead to the area where the wall transitioned to clear glass, revealing the studio and class going on within. 

It doesn’t take much for her to pick out Eunbi, dressed casually in sweatpants and tank top, going through a routine with what were obviously more advanced students, focus showing on her face as she discussed particular parts of the choreography with the other instructors. There was an intensity to her movements, a particular concentration that Yuna feels she recognizes. 

There is no question that Eunbi loves her work, even when she was scolding someone for messing up something simple. There was a need for perfectionism in even the smallest details, and Yuna watches quietly the whole time, never interrupting, nor making any indication of her presence. 

In the end it is someone else who nudges Eunbi, making a comment about the person standing quietly outside. Now, having an audience was nothing new to the dancers in the studio, and more often than not, there was always a small gaggle of fans, mostly young and female, especially when Eunbi was around. They were used to it, but then again, Yuna was pretty enough to warrant attention. 

A slow smile creeps onto Yuna’s face as Eunbi turns to the window with an irritated expression, as if she couldn’t care less about who was watching, and it was hilarious watching the dancer’s face shift from annoyance to surprise in about half a second. Yuna waggles her fingers in a tiny wave, and smirks a little when Eunbi flushes, shoulders tensing as she makes her excuses, leaving the studio in a hurry before anyone else could notice and question her for it.

It takes less than a minute for the dancer to reach Yuna outside, and the taller girl was dragged out of sight from the open looks of curiosity that were coming from within the studio. 

“You didn’t say you were coming!” Eunbi sounded almost accusatory, tugging at Yuna’s elbow as the taller spun around to face her properly. Despite the whiny tone, the dancer was smiling, almost bouncing on the balls of her feet. She hadn’t really seen Yuna in a week, work deciding to come back with a vengeance, leaving her fully booked the whole time. 

Texting wasn’t quite the same as seeing the real person in the flesh, and Eunbi was more than a  little thrilled that Yuna had made the first move this time, coming to see her instead of it always being her initiating their interactions. It felt like her efforts were finally paying off, even though nothing had actually happened yet. 

“You didn’t say I couldn’t,” Yuna counters lazily, twirling the namecard between her fingers as if it were proof that Eunbi’s invitation had been open from the moment the card came into her possession -- which it had been, of course. 

“I’m not complaining.” Eunbi grins, shoving her free hand into a pocket and fidgeting around restlessly for a second, before tugging again with her hand that was still on Yuna’s elbow.

“You wanna come inside? Take a look?” 

“I thought you’d never ask,” Yuna beams, hooking her arm easily around Eunbi’s, clinging to the younger without any discomfort. Eunbi looked a little flushed, either from the dash out or from the close proximity to her crush, no one could confirm. 

Eunbi plays it a lot cooler the moment they step back into the dance studio, Yuna observing the shift in attitude with interest as yet another different side of the dancer is revealed to her. Her coworkers try and fail to tease the seemingly unflappable dancer, who introduces Yuna to them as a good friend here to visit her, frowning noticeably and shifting into a protective stance when some of the more forward of her colleagues start hitting on the taller girl almost immediately. 

That doesn’t go unmissed of course, and the narrative shifts quickly as someone teases Eunbi about ‘her cute girlfriend coming to visit’, finally leaving a crack in the dancer’s armor as she beats a hasty retreat, dragging a smiling Yuna with her as the circle behind them erupted in laughter.

“I’m going to beat their asses later, count on it…” Eunbi muttered grumpily, closing the door of the private practice room behind them. Most classes were held outside in the public areas, but students could also book one on one lessons with an instructor. This was one of those private rooms, and Eunbi hadn’t even thought twice before pulling Yuna into one with her.

Well, she was definitely having second thoughts now, left alone with the girl of her dreams, and Eunbi swallows nervously as she locks gazes with Yuna’s shining eyes. The taller girl had eyes you could get lost in, and it was with great effort that Eunbi manages to even find words to break the sudden silence between them.

“Oh, um, since you’re here anyway, wanna dance?” This sounded lame even to her, but Eunbi was desperate and her brain was being sluggish. Her body language projected more confidence than she actually felt though, and Eunbi surprises herself by holding out a hand to Yuna, as if Yuna turning her down was never an option.

Her boldness pays off as Yuna puts her hand into hers, and the taller girl grins.

“I’m all yours then, teacher.”