Election day

Je t'aime... Moi non plus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2

 

DARA’S APPARTEMENT – GANGNAM,

Thursday 4th of November

 

“Polls have closed three hours ago and votes are still being counted, however we already have the results for the district of Songpa. The candidate for the Democratic Party, Kwon Jiyong, got the majority of votes. Kwon got 73% of votes, against 21% for the Liberty Party and 6% for the Patriots. We are now on the line with our reporter Lee Jungkook who is in front of Songpa’s voting center.”

“I am now in front of the voting center of Songpa where counting has just finished. We already have the results. The representative of the Democratic Liberal Party Kwon Jiyong has won with 73% of the votes. It’s an unprecedented result in Songpa, a district that usually tends to vote for conservative parties.” Stated the reporter.

“Well, it’s seems to be a very promising result for Kwon Jiyong. However, it’s not that much of a surprise, the polls were actually in favor of the Democratic Party. We will now go back on the candidates’ campaigns throughout the last few months. You’re watching K NEWS.”

 

Dara dropped the remote control on the couch before getting up and walking towards her room. She had to start getting ready if she wanted to be at the party on time. Seung-hyun told her a few minutes ago that he was coming to pick her up so that they would go to Kwon Jiyong’s party together. According to Seung-hyun, Jiyong had already won most districts of South Seoul even though it hasn’t been said on the news yet. He was going to win the elections. 

She stopped in front of the hanging rail of her walk-in-closet and starting looking for a dress that would be suitable for the event. It was the first time she was invited, alone, to such political event. Usually it was her parents that were invited and she just had to go with them, but this time she had her own personal invitation card, that was sent to her by Kwon Jiyong's political party. 

Sandara didn't know if she was exited to attend this party or not. She still hadn't forgetten the little talk she had with Kwon Jiyong about Min Daejung, at last week’s cocktail party. 

As Dara started taking off her clothes in order to put the Givenchy dress she just chose from her closet, she heard a few knocks on the door of her closet.

“Yes?”

“It’s me honey, are you ready?” Said Jinah, Dara’s mother while opening the door lightly.

“Almost. I just need to put my shoes on and touch up my makeup a little.” Dara replied as she walked past her mom.

“Seung-hyun is already waiting for you in the car. I’m so happy you accepted to go, your dad and I both think it’s the perfect opportunity for you to represent our family. You will get to meet some powerful people, that’s good.”

“Well, I’m actually thankful you guys are not coming. As far as I know, most of the people attending the election party are young and will not go with their parents.”

“I guess you’re right… It’s time for us, parents, to let our children do their things on their own… I can't believe how grown up you are... Anyway, I love this dress. It really suits your body, but I was hoping you would keep it for a more important event.”

Dara looked down to look at her own body, inspecting her white floral Givenchy dress. It was a bateau neckline dress with a tight white belt that showed off her very slim waist. She bought this dress at  a Christie's auction in London last year. This dress actually belonged to Audrey Hepburn; she wore it for the Academy Awards of 1954. It was a very expensive dress, indeed, but according to Seung-hyun everybody was going to be there, very few people from her school, but a lot of famous political personalities and journalists from several newspapers and TV channels.

 

 

DEMOCRATIC LIBERAL PARTY HEADQUATER – GANGNAM,

Thursday 4th of November

As Dara stepped out of Seung-hyun’s Mercedes-Benz, she met a wave of journalists waiting for people to arrive in front of the building. They were taking pictures of every guests. However, as she started to walk towards the entrance of the building, her arm linked with Seung-hyun’s, she didn’t think the journalists would actually recognize her. It was a surprise for her. Some journalists started asking questions on her parent’s business as she was ushered towards the building by the security guards. Seung-hyun and her showed them their invitation before being guided to an elevator.

As they reached the floor where the party was being held, the elevator’s doors opened and the first thing they saw was Kwon Jiyong being lifted by some guests while every other people where screaming his name. Eventually, he was brought to the mini stage placed on the other side of the room and the music was stopped. Behind him was a projection of the final results on the wall. He won, with 81,2% of the votes.

“So… This is incredible. I can’t believe it. When I decided to follow my father’s path by getting into politics, I never thought I would get such results. I never thought that so many people here in Seoul would believe in me to take care of them and their city. 81,2%... That’s crazy! I would like to thanks all the people who voted for me, people who believed in my ideas. It’s not always easy, I am the youngest representative at the National Assembly, so I am constantly working with older people… I am constantly compared to my dad and I have been told so many times that I was too young for this or that I was too ambitious… But now, I feel blessed and grateful. Thank you all, now let's party hard!” Kwon Jiyong said through the microphone, while looking at the crowd in front of him.

Park Dara looked at him from one corner of the room. She was touched by his speech because she could feel how sincere he was. Everybody in the room was quietly listening to him; everybody could feel the emotion in his voice. In the end, most of the people here could understand Jiyong's pressure. They were all somebody's son or daughter, they all have the pressure to do better or at least as good as their parents. Even though Sandara was not into politics, she understood how much pressure Jiyong must hve had from his father. She had a lot of pressure from her own parents who were waiting for her to find her husband so that they could handle her the company. 

Being elected Mayor of Seoul at only 25 years old was what we could call an achievement. Granted, Jiyong's father really helped him to build his campaign, but everybody could tell how much hard work and dedication he put into this.

While people his age where enjoying their nightlife, he was locked up in his house, preparing his speech for every meetings he held. While his friends were attending Sunday brunchs, he was in hospitals and community centers in order to meet people and understand their needs.  

“It’s only the beginning of our journey, and I can’t wait to make Seoul even better as a city and as the capital of our country. Thank you again for trusting me.” He said before getting down the stage to shake people’s hand and thanks them for coming at the party.

The music was again, and people got back to their previous conversations, most of them obviously talking about politics and economics. Seung-hyun and Dara were in a corner of the room, talking about their upcoming exams and projects.

“There is a Summer Camp in Boston, at Harvard University… Depending on my results, I may go there in July.” Seung-hyun said.

“Oh, actually I heard a lot of good things about this Summer Camp. But personally, I’d like to go in a Summer Camp in Germany. I feel like everybody here goes to America for their studies, that’s not really original… but that would be a good opportunity for you to meet some people there and maybe find a way to develop your parents’ business though.” She replied as she nodded her head from times to times, to acknowledge some people she knew. Everything was about connections. “I’m a little bit thirsty, aren’t you?”

“I’ll go get ussomething to drink. Ruinart or Moet?” Seung-hyun asked. 

 

As Seung-hyun started walking towards the bar to get their drinks, Dara took her phone out from her purse and started playing with it. She didn’t feel really confortable here, even though she recognized a few people from her school, there were still a lot of people she didn’t know. There were some famous political figures that she had already met at some fancy diners though. Her parents hold most of the shares of Hyundai; they know a lot of people. Most people here actually knew her parents, but not her. 

“I didn’t think you would come… That’s a great surprise.” Someone said, as he appeared right in front of her.

“I told you we would meet again so that I could congratulate you.” Dara replied, looking up at Kwon Jiyong. “Congratulations Mr. Mayor.”

“Thank you.” He said, while looking at her attire. “Well, that’s a very nice dress you’re wearing…”

“Thank you.” She simply replied.

“Audrey Hepburn, Givenchy, isn’t it?”

“Yes. How would you know?” Dara asked, surprised that he knew where the dress came from. She couldn’t deny the fact that she felt happy that a guy knew about this kind of stuffs though. Considering how expensive that dress was, it always felt nice to get some recognition for the effort. 

“Well, it may surprise you but I’m not only into politics, I love fashion too.”

“That’s good to know, hope you’ll make the upcoming Seoul Fashion Week even better then.”

Jiyong laughed before replying, “I’ll try to… So tell me, how have you been doing since last week?”

“Well I-”

As she was about to reply, Seung-hyun cut her off.

“Here you go…” Seung-hyun said as he handled her the cup of Champagne. He then turned to the man she was talking to, “Oh, Jiyong! Congratulations! I knew you would win. You deserved it bro.”

“Thank you. You can’t imagine how happy I am feeling right now.” He replied, side hugging Seung-hyun.

“I can’t wait to see you do great things for our city. I’m sure you’ll be the best Mayor we’ve ever had. Don’t you think so Dara?” Seung-hyun added, looking at her.

“Well if he keeps up to his ideas, I’m sure he will be amazing.” Dara replied smilingly before taking a sip of Champagne.

She knew that Kwon Jiyong could do some very good things and she actually never heard anyone say bad things about him. Most of the people she knew supported the Democratic Party and wanted a new vision. It was time for the new generation to take over and Jiyong seemed like the perfect person. Everybody thought that Kwon Jiyong could rejuvenate the image of democrats. As he became a representative at the National Assembly, a lot of people started liking him because he wanted Korea to become a more liberal country. He was for progress and for human rights. However, he was sometimes caught up in the middle of scandals because he liked women too muc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter