His Resolve

Finding Our Gray World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

               

                Blue skies, fluffy clouds and fully bloomed flowers greeted Siwon as he made his way to his workplace. The weather was so cheery it made him think that what happened yesterday was all in his head; a big imaginative dream he conjured up since he was unbelievably busy and tired. Though he would want to really rewrite his memory, the fact that he needed to use a spare coat brought him back to the fact. Yesung still have his coat in his room but Siwon chose to not visit for some unthinkable reason. He clocked in and went to his sanctuary; going back to the routine of praying for, examining and recording the bodies laid before him. Instead of taking a break with Donghae, Siwon opted to buy a simple meal and ate it at the garden; fully being at peace within the small space of the greenery. He was content and happy and calm. Nothing could go wrong for today. Not unless…

 

                “Ah Siwon-ah, I’m glad I found you.” A slender figure with copper red hair spoke at a distance. Teukie hyung made his way thru the passing crowd and stood before him. The eternally soft-spoken and nurturing man had his hands in his pockets and was smiling at him with squinted eyes. “Dr. Park, thank you for letting me off early yesterday.” Siwon was to stand up from the wooden bench he was seated on but his boss made a motion for him to be at ease and joined him on the bench. “It was a long day yesterday; everyone and most especially you needed the rest. Good work yesterday.” Siwon nodded in acknowledgement knowing this conversation would somehow direct into a more pressing matter. “Hmm, you seem different than before Won-ah…or should I say you’re disturbingly normal.” If the comment came from anyone else, Siwon would’ve scoffed at them; but this man right here is his hyung and his boss. The younger man faced his boss and said “I am different than before Teukie hyung. Maybe not drastically but I’ve decided to change something within myself.”

 

                “I see…you look good Siwon-ah; maybe even better than before. Keep your words in mind and stick to that, you’ll definitely need them from now on.” Those were such foreboding words; his hyung continued “I don’t want to take more of your break time but after your work is done, come meet me in the office neh? We’ll continue our chat inside.” He patted the younger’s should and left with a whoosh from his coat.

 

                Siwon looked up at the sky and contemplated on whether his decision last night was right. He never guessed that he was the type of man to make a reckless choice but then seeing the fragile and abandoned older man so broken made all the impulsive decision worth it. He knew all too well the feeling of being abandoned; he was lucky enough to survive until now but a blind man rebuilding his life alone in this harsh society would prove to be the hardest challenge in his life. Yesung-ssi wants to be free and he wants to live instead of wasting away. Siwon had wasted a lot of opportunities in his life but if it was both of their Fate to meet, then he would do everything in his ability to help give Yesung his second chance of life.

 

Yesung’s success would be Siwon’s redemption to himself. ‘I just hope he would let me in.’

 

After sipping the last drop of his apple juice, Siwon went back to the morgue to wrap up his work. He needs to think of what to answer to Teukie hyung…and deal with his annoying friends too. Surprisingly, he wasn’t getting hounded for the whole morning.

 

                “Hyung~ Siwon was really cool yesterday! He just went in like a boss and saved your sorry looking ! He was like a black knight and your mom was the evil b-“ SMACK SMACK SMACK “SHUT UP LEE DONGHAE OR I SWEAR TO SIWON’S GOD I WILL CUT OFF YOUR TONGUE!” Hyukjae used his thick clipboard to beat the crap out of Donghae’s head. He was really questioning why he became friends—and friends—with this annoying manchild, he can’t even read the ing mood! “Hey! You said my mouth was am-oomph!” an elbow to Hae’s solar plexus knocked the wind out of him and earned a glare from the nurse.

 

                All three of them were gathered in Yesung’s room; with Hae convincing Hyukjae to help him cheer their hyung up. Though both of them didn’t exactly know what transpired with the four yesterday, they kept their curiosity aside and decided to just be beside Yesung. When they got inside the room, Yesung was already sitting up with a hospital coat neatly folded in his lap and his head angled towards the wide window. He looked like he was watching the sky but of course, both knew otherwise. The duo did their best to appear jovial as they sat beside their favorite hyung.

 

                “Yesung hyung~ we came for luuuunch! Have you eaten yet? We just got our paycheck so Hyukkie will treat us pizza!” he hugged Yesung while gushing. “Yah Lee Donghae! I’m saving up for my holiday you ! I’ve already treated you guys last month! It’s your turn! Yesung hyung, remind this idiot that it’s his turn to buy lunch.” Hyukjae ruffled the soft hair of his ward but even with all the noise and attention, Yesung was still silent. His fingers kept fiddling with the loose strand from the coat’s name patch. Hyuk was reminded to peek at the owner’s name and was pleasantly surprised that it belonged to their heroic friend. After remaining silent for about six minutes, a rough voice asked: “Is Siwon-ssi coming?”

 

                Donghae and Hyukjae exchanged glances and Hyuk replied: “We asked if he came to work and the other staff that saw him said that he went directly to the morgue. We paged him a couple of times but he wasn’t answering. Maybe he’s busy…you want me to look for him?” and finally, Yesung whipped his head to face them. “No. It’s okay Hyuk-ah. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn’t want to see myself either.” Yesung felt defeated and disappointed. He honestly thought after what happened yesterday, Siwon would at least check-up on him. ‘Maybe he doesn’t want to get caught up with my ty life. No one deserves to get troubled over someone like me.’

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter