001

Welcome to the block

 

“Leave! If you can’t pay for the rent then leave!” the old landlady yelled as she furiously shooed the poor young lady out of the apartment.

 

“But ahjumma, I promise to pay next week! Just please give me another week. I am begging you! I will have no place to go and it’s already late!” the young woman cried out as she pleaded the older woman to give her another chance. She pressed her hands on the doorframe, stopping herself from being pushed out of the apartment completely.

 

The landlady who seems to be around her fifty’s groaned as she tried to push the younger and obviously much stronger woman out, “No. I gave you two weeks already but you keep saying you will pay next week! It’ll be almost a month already. I can’t let you stay here any longer. You see, this is a business, I need the money to pay for my own expenses you know so if you can’t pay me now then leave!” she exclaimed, pushing much harder as she can.

 

Soomin yelped as her hands cave in and she stumbled outside of the apartment, soon her luggage came following after. She pouted, staring at two suitcases lying on the ground before her feet as the old mean landlady continued to nag at her. And after what seems to be an endless echo of the awful and annoying sound of the old lady’s voice, an earsplitting ‘bang’ from the door being shut close in an enraged manner was heard making the young woman of her twenty’s flinch on her spot.

 

A sigh soon left her as she bent down weakly to pick up her suitcases. She stared at the door for a moment, eyeing it before she made a face at it and kicking the wooden fixture in annoyance. “Own expenses, huh? If I know, you’ll just use the money for your boyfriend who is half your age!” she exclaimed in frustration before she stomped away in despair.

 

Dragging the suitcases behind her, Soomin wandered about in the streets of Seoul, cold and weary. Where is she going stay for the night? “Ah!” she suddenly exclaimed as she remembered something making the passersby jump in surprise. She quickly came to a halt, fishing for her phone inside her front pockets hastily. When she managed to grab a hold of it, she then hurriedly dialed one of the phone numbers on her speed dial list.

 

--

 

“How’s it going?”

 

Yukwon lifted his gaze up from the glass he was cleaning when he heard that familiar voice and soon a tender smile carved itself onto his once serious expression as he saw her face. “It’s going well.” He answered, “’Sup?”

 

Sunhee smiled back as she stood beside the red headed male behind the bar counter, watching as the crowd went wild on the dance floor. As usual, business is doing well despite the threats the club was getting from what seems to be a rival gang trying to taunt her brother’s gang. Because of those threats, her brother had doubled the club’s security not only for their customers and patrons but more so, to make sure she is safe. “Just finished the paper works.” She answered, glancing up at the younger man beside her. “Nothing suspicious going on?” she wondered.

 

“Nothing, don’t worry. Pyoji, Heechul-hyung and Taeil-hyung had been patrolling the whole place the whole time and so far they haven’t reported anyone looking leery in the club. We also have Jaehyo-hyung, Kyung and Jiho taking the high post from the DJ’s platform so they can see everyone on the dance floor and keep an eye on anyone and anything suspicious.” He said, giving the older woman a reassuring grin.

 

“Hyung, one mojito and one apple martini, please.” JiHoon exclaimed as soon as he arrived at the bar counter, he then grinned as he saw Sunhee. “Hi noona~” he greeted with a childish wave.

 

Shaking her head, she chuckled lightly and waved back a bit at JiHoon. This guy, he’s already twenty yet he still acts like a kid sometimes. It is cute though especially with his height and voice. “How’s it going?” she inquired.

 

JiHoon smiled more as he sat on one of the stools aligned in front of the bar counter, “Its going well so far. Don’t worry noona, I’m keeping a good eye on everyone here!” he said, giving her a mock salute.

 

Nodding, Sunhee smiled more at him. “I’ll make sure to cook delicious food for you tomorrow then.” She said, reaching out to gently pat JiHoon’s head.

 

The kid beamed and clapped his hands, “Looking forward to it noona!”

 

Yukwon cleared his throat, interrupting JiHoon and Sunhee. “So…the order slip?” he asked, glancing at JiHoon while holding his hand out to him.

 

“Oh, right!” JiHoon snickered, handing his hyung the order slip.

 

But before the paper could even land at Yukwon’s palm, a hand swiftly snatched it away from him.

 

“I’ll take that.” Minhyuk smirked, reading the scribbled letters on the small piece of paper.

 

“Yah, that’s mine!” Yukwon argued with a frown.

 

“It’s mine now though, besides, you made most of the drinks earlier already so let me just have this one.” Minhyuk argued back at the red head before he went on making the drinks.

 

Yukwon only rolled his eyes and continued on drying the rest of the glasses.

 

Sunhee could only laugh at them, shaking her head a bit at their childish arguments. Suddenly, she felt her phone vibrate inside her pants’ pockets and she quietly excused herself from the boys, making her way back up to her office on the second floor. “Hello?”

 

“Unnie! It’s me.”

 

“Oh, Soomin-ah, why are you calling so late?”

 

“Unnie~ I got kicked out.”

 

Sunhee blinked as she sat on the couch inside her office. “Kicked out? In school? Why?”

 

“No, no. Not in school…my apartment. The ahjumma kicked me out because I still don’t have the money to pay the rent.”

 

“Uwah! That’s so mean! Aigoo, where will you stay now?” she frowned, worried about her friend.

 

Soomin bit lightly on her bottom lip, “That is actually why I am calling you unnie.” She said, sighing. “Can I stay over your place for tonight? I’ll find a place to move into first thing in the morning.” She continued.

 

“Of course, you can. But I hope you’re fine with having noisy and playful boys in the house. You know my brother’s friends lives in our place too.” Sunhee chuckled a bit. “Though, I’m still at work right now.” She said. “You know where my house is though, right? You can go ahead so you can rest, I’ll call my brother to tell him you’re coming.”

 

A sigh left Soomin’s lips as she sat on one of her luggage, “I’m sorry to trouble you unnie. I just really don’t have any place to stay into for tonight.” She mumbled, she felt really embarrassed to have to bother Sunhee’s family.

 

A chuckle left her lips, “Aish, yah! It’s completely fine. I’ll see you at home then?” Sunhee smiled.

 

“Yeah, thank you unnie.” Soomin nodded even if the older woman could not see it, smiling gratefully. “I’ll hang up now then.” She said, ending the call and taking the bus to Sunhee’s house.

 

Once the call was hanged up, Sunhee then quickly called her brother. “Oppa, you know Soomin, right?”

 

“Soomin? Your friend? Yeah, why?”

 

“She’s staying over for the night, she got kicked out from the apartment she had been staying in because she couldn’t pay for the rent yet.” She explained.

 

Seunghyun nodded his head in understanding, lowering the volume of the television. “Ah, okay. I understand.” He said.

 

“She’s on her way now. I am still at the club right now so please take care of her for me. I’ll come home soon.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll take care of her.”

 

“I’ll hang up now then. Thank you oppa.” And with that said, she ended the call before going back downstairs to help out in the club.