About Time

Under the Cold Bridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER TWELVE

 

Jungkook leans on the headboard at the bed. Everything that he said to Rose a while ago came across his mind over and over again. He guesses it is not enough for him to become blind so that he won’t face any heartbreak anymore, should he lose his hearing too? Jungkook has always thought that without having to face anybody, he will no longer get hurt. He will no longer have to feel that everything was his fault that things don’t go in the right way. But, what just happened proved him wrong. As long as he is in contact with someone, those feelings won’t fade away easily. He should have just stick to his principle to make as less as possible any contact with people. 

“I’d like you to stay and take care of me.”

Rose was silent. Jungkook can’t see her expression but he can tell that she is shocked. To hear what he had just said. It’s not common for him to request something that he considers as intimate but those words just slip out of his mouth. Jungkook gulp. He is still waiting for Rose to answer him but it seems like it takes forever for her to respond. Is it too much to ask? Or is it because it came from him that Rose become speechless at the moment? Jungkook cleared his throat. 

“Why are you silent?” Jungkook knew that she is still there. He remembers her scent by his heart now. He can tell if she’s around in seconds. It was just embedded in his mind. Jungkook straightens his back. He heard Rose left out a soft sigh. “You said you heard about my job offer right?” Rose asks him back. Jungkook nods. “Are you asking me to give up on my offer to take care of you?” she asks again. He was stunned by her question. And immediately shakes his head. 

“I didn’t mean that,” he said. “Then?” Rose questions him again. “Are you sure you’re going to get the job if you leave?” he asks. But his voice was so quiet that Rose can barely hear him. But she did. And she gets furious by his question. “Are you looking down on my capabilities now? You think I can’t nail the interview? Well, you know what? I can and I will. I will prove….wait. I don’t think I have to prove it to you. You’re no one. Nothing to me,” Rose said and ready to leave, but she stops. 

“I’m having my convocation soon, therefore I’m pretty sure I can call myself a degree holder now,” she said. “So, as a degree holder who specializes in counseling and guidance, I believe that it’s not because of whatever you’re facing in the past that stops you from connecting with people. It’s your negativity, sir. And as a degree holder, I should not have said this but I’m going to say it anyway, you have a problem with your mind. Fix it,” she said and left. 

It was harsh. And it was hard for him to swallow. Why can’t he hate her? Even after she insults him like that? Is it true? That he has grown fond of her? He just wants her to be by his side. Taking care of him and accompanying him as always. He thinks that his days have becoming livelier that he can listen to someone talking every day even though it is about useless things like Rose forgot how many sugar cube she had already put inside his coffee. It cheers him up. 

Why does Rose have to say mean things to him? Is it because he used to say mean things about her? Or is it because she had them bottled up inside her heart all this while and that is just the right moment to pour it all out at once? It’s probably because she just wants to make him hate her right? She purposely said that so that she can leave without feeling guilty right? He wanted to think that. But, he can feel her sincerity in saying those words. 

❀❀❀

The smell of coffee once Namjoon entered the café formed a smile on his lips. Coffee has always been his favorite. Little did he know, the bitter taste in the coffee is as bitter as his life after Jisoo had left. Coffee is the only memory Jisoo had left for him for the past few years. When they were together, Jisoo always made him coffee every morning. Now, he had to make his coffee or go out to have a cup of coffee but the taste will never be the same as Jisoo’s. 

“Black coffee please,” he told the young girl at the cashier with a smile. “Drink here or take away sir?” the girl asked. “Drink here,” he said. The girl nods, understand. “Do you want to grab a cake? We have a 30% discount if you purchase a slice of cake with a drink,” the girl offered. He shook his head with a smile signaling refusal. The girl smile back. It doesn’t take long for the barista to finish Namjoon’s order. 

Namjoon’s eyes wandered around the café to find a place for him to sit and enjoy his coffee before he spots someone familiar at the corner of the café. His long legs slowly swing through the floor towards the person. “Mind if I join you?” he greeted. The person looks up to him and gasped. Not to mention, with wide eyes. “Sure!” 

“If I’m not mistaken, Taehyung right?” Namjoon made a guess. He didn’t make a guess. He remembers correctly his name. His name has always been in his mind since he first met Kim Taehyun with Jisoo the other day. His eagerness to know who this guy is with Jisoo is high. “I can’t believe a famous author remembered my name,” Taehyung said. Taehyung has always been a cheerful guy. And looks so young in Namjoon’s eyes. Can’t possibly be Jisoo’s boyfriend right?

Namjoon chuckles. “Of course I remember. You’re Jisoo’s friend,” Namjoon said. Purposely bringing up Jisoo’s name. Taehyung smiled. “I can see you’re quite close to Jisoo,” Namjoon took a sip of his coffee. Waiting for Taehyung’s reply. He looks reluctant to answer. Probably because Taehyung is not close enough to share something personal with Namjoon. He should calm himself. 

“I can’t say we’re close but we’ve known each other for quite some time,” Taehyung said. Keeping a smile on his lips. “But still, you’ve known her longer than I am. Since high school right?” Taehyung chuckles. Namjoon could recall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter