009

Dance With Me
Please log in to read the full chapter
Jonghyun looks around him. There is no one to be found nearby to give him a hand as he tightly holds onto an unconscious Yuri, nervously trembling in fear. What have I done? What have I done? He gently shakes her, as if that’d wake her up. “Yuri…wake up. I was kidding. I was acting to scare you!” He continues to search for help with his eyes.   Down along the hallway where his friends have left him, he hears laughter. He hesitates whether to barge in with Yuri or leave her and ask for help. He lifts her up, but couldn’t as his leg’s asleep. He begins to pant heavily and the only noises he now hears is his loud bumping heart, fearing that in the next few seconds, she might be unconscious forever.   “Forget it!” He gently places her head and body onto the cold floor and takes off his jacket to place it over her. With a gentle whisper, he says, “Yuri. I’ll be back. I’m finding help now.”   He immediately runs into the hallway and searches through each room he passes, hoping he’d find someone. As he nears the dance room, the laughs become louder and clearer. He skips a few rooms as he recognizes the voices. They haven’t left!   He barges into the dance room as the door heavily swings open, hitting the wall and making an echo throughout the room.   Jessica, lying on the floor doing stretches, Taecyeon, standing alongside Yoona and Minho, all jump at the sudden noise of the door.   Jonghyun smiles and sighs a relief. He rushes over to Minho’s side, leaning onto him, tired because of all the nervous feelings he just had.   “Minho! Yuri…Yuri ah…” Jonghyun doesn’t know what to say. Unconscious? Fainted? Or her asthma attack? Which one should I say?   Jessica stands up and crowds around Jonghyun as everyone does the same.   Minho tries to calm Jonghyun down to understand what he is trying to say about Yuri. “Take it slow. Take it slow. Breathe.”   Jonghyun finally calms down. His hands clench tightly onto Minho’s arms. “Yuri…she’s…unconscious.” He points out to the door, implying she’s outside. “Hurry. It might be her asthma attack.”   The moment Minho hears this from Jonghyun, he pushes him to the side, barges through the door, and runs out to where the elevators are.   Everyone else follows, trying to see the situation and possibly help. Following Minho and Jonghyun, they see a lying Yuri in the middle of the floor with Jonghyun’s jacket placed over her.   Without hesitation, Minho runs over to her side and picks her up. To Jonghyun, he says, “I’ll carry her, and you’ll look for a cab for us. We’ve got to get her to the hospital.”   Jonghyun nods and runs over to press the elevator buttons.   Taecyeon exhales as he worries for his friends.   The two girls are on the sidelines, cuddling one another, worry about the current situation.   Taecyeon looks around to see if there is anything else on the floor and eyes something: a cell phone. He picks it up and turns it on to see whose it belongs to. The screen shows an email with lines and a few words with blanks. The first line catches his attention. He looks around again and sneakily puts the cell phone into his pockets. He runs over to the boys. “I’m going, too.”   The boys don’t reject his voluntary presence.   Jessica, worried about Yuri since they’re friends, speaks up. “Oppa, my manager should still be on the first floor. I’ll contact him to give us a ride. It’s faster that way.” She grabs a hold of Yoona’s hand, and they run to join the boys.   “Thank you. We’ll take that, then,” Minho says.   “Minho, it’s going to open soon,” Jonghyun says, looking at the number above the elevator doors.   Minho nods as he holds Yuri tightly to ensure her safety.   When the doors open, two people are already in there. They catch sight of Yuri and immediately rush over to Minho and Yuri.   “Yuri ah! What happened?” Hyoyeon exclaims, touching and embracing her friend.   Eunhyuk lets go of Hyoyeon’s hand and glares at Minho. “You! What did you guys do to her!?” He raises a fist, ready to attack.   Luckily, Jonghyun saves and stops the attack. “Ya, it’s not him. No one did anything. We’re about to take her to the hospital. Move.”   “Jonghyun,” Minho says, stopping Jonghyun from being rude. “Look, I’d like to have introductions, but this girl’s life’s in danger. So, move.” He sends a death glare at the couple.   They make way as they step back into the elevator and everyone squeezes to be inside.   The moment they’re inside, Jessica texts her manager and hopes she can reach him.   They finally reach the first floor, and they all search for Jessica’s manager.   Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk obediently wait to understand what’s going to happen next.   When Jessica’s manager is spotted, they rush over to him and request for a ride to the hospital.   He quickly stands up and takes his papers in a rush as he takes out his keys out of his pockets.   They all make a run for it to the door, with Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk still following.   At the entrance, Jessica’s manager says, “You kids stay here. The van’s parked pretty far. I’ll quickly get it and we’ll go.” He sprints to the driveway and disappears as he blends into the night.   Taecyeon turns to Minho. “Let me hold—”   “No. I want to hold her. I…” Minho exclaims. Realizing the unnecessary loud and rude interruption, he lowers his voice and apologizes, “Let me hold her until we reach there.” Just for tonight. Let me hold her. Just this one time.   No one bothers to ask to trade with Minho after that.   Hyoyeon looks at Minho and then at Yuri. The way she sees him look at her friend makes her annoyed.   Within seconds, the black minivan enters the driveway’s entrance, and Jonghyun first enters the van to receive Yuri from Minho.   As everyone climbs on board, unexpectedly, Hyoyeon immediately grabs Eunhyuk’s hands and enters the minivan.   “Hyoyeon! We—” Eunhyuk is surprised.   Hyoyeon pleads. “Let us go, too. She’s our friend.”   Everyone looks at Minho for an answer.   He sighs and finally gives in.   Jessica closes the door to the minivan and soon, the minivan leaves for the hospital.   At a stoplight, Jessica’s manager asks for what happened. Taecyeon, Yoona, Jessica, and Minho look at Jonghyun for an explanation as they also don’t know what had happened before they got to the scene.   Jonghyun exhales. “We-we were having a talk. No, actually.” He nervously chuckles. “It was more like I was thinking about myself and forced myself verbally on her.”   “Why you!” Eunhyuk is about to throw a fist at a calm, yet trembling, Jonghyun who doesn’t even flinch.   Hyoyeon pulls her boyfriend back down and calms him.   Jonghyun continues on. “But…the weird thing was…” He his head to the side. “she wasn’t paying attention to me...but…to something that she had on her hand.”   “Hand?” Minho asks, hoping Jonghyun can recall what the object is.   “I forgot. But I think it’s black…” Jonghyun immediately looks up. “Ah, remember when we saw her in front of the elevator? That thing that she was holding while greeting us!”   They confusingly look at one another, trying to remember what the ‘thing’ is.   “Her cellphone!” Jessica exclaims. She recalls seeing Yuri’s cell phone as they had traded phone numbers with one another. “But I don’t get it.”   Taecyeon adds to Jessica’s comment. “Why focus on her cell phone, right?’   Silence ensues again.   Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk have calm expressions, but deep down, they fear what they have hoped isn’t true might’ve happened.   “…Mister, take us to this place.” Hyoyeon ruffles through her bag as she searches for something.   “Hyoyeon, what are you saying? We have to go—” Eunhyuk tries to stop Hyoyeon.   She ignores her boyfriend’s comment. She hands him a piece of paper with an address. “Go here.”   “Ya, do you not know we need to go to the hospital instead of somewhere else? Your friend needs help,” Minho angrily says.   “And help is what she’ll get.”   Eunhyuk exhales and leans onto his seat as he knows what Hyoyeon’s implying.   *   Everyone has arrived in front of Yuri’s house. Because the manager has a family, he decides to leave everyone as soon after each and everyone promises that there won’t be any problem. The idols follow Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon—while he carries Yuri—inside the house.   They’ve been quiet the entire time.   Hyoyeon she makes way for Eunhyuk to put Yuri down on a dark blue leather sofa. She runs upstairs and grabs a light blanket and a pillow for Yuri.   The idols look around the house. Although it’s pretty small, it’s not cramped. It’s clean and nothing seems out of place. There are a lot of floral designs; even the air has a floral scent.   Near where Jessica is standing, she spots a few pictures on a shelf. She picks them up and smiles. “What a cute outfit she was wearing.” She shows the picture to Yoona, and the girls compliment Yuri.   Eunhyuk walks over to them as Hyoyeon fixes a bed for Yuri. “Ah, that’s when we won first place for our very first school dance competition.”   “Really!? No wonder the outfit looks professionally done,” Yoona comments.   Eunhyuk becomes bashful. “That’s because she designed it herself.”   “Sit anywhere you’d like.” Hyoyeon’s tone is somewhat demanding, so everybody starts to find a spot.   Eunhyuk leaves the girls and sits on the floor beside Yuri while Hyoyeon sits in a chair beside him, facing everyone. He wants to avoid looking at the idols and because he’s afraid to look at his girlfriend, he looks at the floor.   The next few moments are followed by silence. No one speaks. No one makes a comment.   Becoming more and more worried and noticing that the scene could take a bad route, Taecyeon decides to break the atmosphere. “I think we should—”   “Yuri.” Hyoyeon interrupts. Her voice is low, but is clear enough for everyone to hear. “She’s…a fabulous girl.”   Everyone listens closely, trying to see where her conversation is going to lead them to.   “She always has a smile on her face. Even when…” Hyoyeon pauses so she can control her emotions. I can’t cry now. Not yet. “…even when she found out she can’t run around freely because she has asthma.   “But of course, knowing our Yuri, she didn’t let that stop her from having fun.” Hyoyeon chuckles as she reminisces. “At the same time, she would never let her problem affect anyone.”   Hyoyeon looks at the picture Yoona and Jessica were just looking at. “That picture. There’s a story behind it.”   Everyone looks back at the picture again and then back at Hyoyeon.   “After she had her first life-threatening asthma attack, she came to me and Eunhyuk and gathered a lot of people to dance together. Thinking of nothing about it, we joined her and had fun. To us at the time, victory had meant absolutely nothing.”   Hyoyeon looks at Yuri, breathing heavily on the sofa. “But to this one girl, victory on that day meant the whole world to her.”   “…Why?” Yoona asks.   Everyone has become intrigued.   “After she had heard something at the hospital on the day of her attack, she challenged herself that if she can win her own ‘defect,’ she will then move onto the next challenge.”   “As in dance challenges?” Jonghyun asks.   Hyoyeon nods. “No. A challenge that only she can participate.”   “What do you mean?” Minho asks, quite frustrated at all the roundabouts.   Taecyeon pats Minho’s back, sensing anger. “What is that challenge? Do you know?”   Eunhyuk deeply sighs as his hands whip through his hair. Right before Hyoyeon answers, he fixes Yuri’s blanket. “Are you sure you’re going to do this?”   “It’s for the best,” Hyoyeon responds. “Besides, I think it’s better if the people closest to him know about this.” She looks at the idols, and she takes a deep breath. “The challenge is to win over her father.”   The idols look at one another in confusion.   “If I remember correctly, I’m pretty sure she is an only child, right?’ Jonghyun looks over to ask Minho as if Minho has the answer.   Minho nods.   “Then, why would she—”   “Because Soo Man ssi is her real father.” Hyoyeon blurts it out.   “I see. That’s why—WHAT!?” Jonghyun immediately turns his attention to Hyoyeon.   The girls cover their gasps with their hands at this shocking confession.   “I’m sorry, but, repeat, please.” Jonghyun awkwardly smiles. He digs his ears, getting ready to hear it properly. They know about Yuri’s fathers and are blurting it out to us?! They have no delicacy!   Hyoyeon exhales. “You guys didn’t hear it wrong. Your president is the biological father of Yuri.” She says it slow and clear, looking from each idol’s face, starting from Yoona and ending it with Jonghyun.   I knew it! Soo Man ssi and Yuri’s father are lovers! Jonghyun can’t help but take a quick glance at Taecyeon. He then takes another quick glance at Jessica. Sica, hearing this, you should know what that girl is implying, right!? Now, stay away from Yuri!   Yoona blinks a few times. “I don’t get it…how does the story…relate to Yuri and …what?”   That’s exactly how the idols feel at the moment. They aren’t able to understand the reason of the back-story of the photo to Yuri’s father being the SM President.   Angry and frustrated, Hyoyeon stands up and tries to put it in a shorter way. “In other words. In the hospital that day, Yuri overheard her father and your president talking about her, so she found out coincidently. Being afraid that she’ll be tossed away and unwanted and taken in by a stranger who claims to be her father after all those years, she decides that if she wins the first challenge, only then can she have the right to challenge her affection for her father and have him choose her to not let her go to some stranger.”   Taecyeon looks at Yuri and suddenly thinks back to when they had dinner together with Soo Man shi. Is that why she asked him that question?   Minho and Yoona catch Taecyeon looking affectionately at Yuri.   Taecyeon touches his jacket pockets and starts to hesitate if he should ask them about the content of what he had seen in Yuri’s phone that he had picked up from the scene before. “Both of her fathers don’t know that she knows, right?” He bluntly asks.   Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk nod.   “Do you two know what is Yuri’s father’s—um, not Soo Man ssi’s—answer is?”   Hyoyeon doesn’t answer.   Neither does Eunhyuk.   They both stay silent. They know the answer.   Hyoyeon opens her bag and ruffles through it again.   Eunhyuk sees her searching for something and realizes she might have the paper from the office they were hacking. “Don’t tell me, you brought it!?” He stands up. “Hyoyeon, we—we can’t…”   “Eunhyuk ah, do you think that man will really inform her about it?” She stands up with her boyfriend. “He received this two weeks ago, yet she didn’t hear anything about this. What makes you think he’ll tell her?”   He holds onto his girl’s wrists, not allowing her to search for it. “Still, we aren’t the ones who should tell her—or anyone about this matter.”   “Oppa, Yuri’s been in the dark—”   “Are you two referring to this?” Taecyeon holds out Yuri’s black cell phone for the couple in front of him to see.   The idols around him look at him, lost in the current situation.   Eunhyuk points to the phone. “Why, why do you have it?”   “I picked it up when I saw it on the floor.”   Eunhyuk grabs it and sighs. “Then that must’ve meant she didn’t see it.”   Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk smile.   “I think she did.” Taecyeon comments.   “See what?” Minho asks.   “Jonghyun,” says Taecyeon, “you said that she wasn’t really paying attention to you but to something she had, right?”   Jonghyun nods.   “The only thing she had at the time was her cell phone since that’s what you remembered her having. So, crying and being in disbelief at the same time were probably what made her faint. In other words,” Taecyeon glances at the couple, “you two had a feeling it wasn’t an asthma attack and that’s why you decided to have her brought here instead of making it a big fuss at the hospital, especially if one of the fathers found out, right?”   Jonghyun claps and sarcastically comments. “You’re such a fabulous detective. You should work as one when you retire.”   Minho hits Jonghyun on the head. “No time for comments like that.” He glares at the couple. “Is that true?”   The couple ignores Minho’s question.   Eunhyuk asks, “Then…are you saying..Yuri…saw?”   “Without a doubt,” Taecyeon replies.   “But how’d you know?”   “Because I saw it too.” This time, Taecyeon takes out his own phone and shows a file. He explains that he knows he wouldn’t be able to unlock Yuri’s phone, so while he had the chance to view it, he had shared it and sent it to his phone. “Since you two had been explaining, might care to finish it?” Yuri, as a friend, I hope I can be of help for you.   *   “A will?” The idols ask in sync.   Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk nod. They have told every little detail related to Yuri and her problem to up to where they are at the moment.   “We thought we’d be there to stop her from seeing it first, but I guess we were late.” Eunhyuk continues. “Now, she knows…who knows how her emotional health is going to be.”   Minho looks up. “It’s been two weeks and our Boss hasn’t told her, so doesn’t that mean it’s not official?”   “But with an official will at hand, doesn’t that mean he’s going to go?” argues Hyoyeon. “Even if he hasn’t left, your boss should still inform Yuri about it, because after all, he was the one who had watched Yuri grow all these years. Not your boss. Your boss has no right to keep this kind of information away from Yuri.”   Taecyeon nods. “I agree with that.”   Everyone looks at him.   “I think Yuri’s been patient enough. So she deserves the truth.”   “That’s right!” Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk agree.   “Hyung, what makes you say that she was being patient?” Minho asks.   Taecyeon inhales. “Jonghyun.”   Jonghyun looks at Taecyeon, and he sits up.   “Remember that day when Yuri was supposed to meet up with you at the amusement park?”   “Yeah, you came too.” Jonghyun blurts out. He becomes excited, though he has no clue where Taecyeon is leading him.   Taecyeon continues. “Before we came there, we both had dinner with your President.”   “Why?” Everyone asks.   “Actually, we both came for different reasons. I came an hour earlier to have a talk with him about…” Taecyeon uncomfortably looks around. “…about something. But later that evening, she dropped by and we had dinner together.”   “…and…?” Hyoyeon asks, sensing there is more to it.   “I think she came to ask him about the problem because at the dinner table, she asked him a question about lying to your own child.” Taecyeon gently smiles. “I think she—no—I know she was doing her best to keep it in.”   Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk exhale.   Hyoyeon says, “So, that’s what really happened before she started crying to you.”   Taecyeon looks at them surprised. “You two didn’t know about that, but knew about her crying?”   Eunhyuk explains, “She said that there was only dinner, and you happened to be there. There was a lot of entertaining and many funny things happening. But the reason why she cried was because it made her missed her father.”   “Ah, that’s right.” Taecyeon turns over to Jonghyun. “How’d you know that I was there if you didn’t see us before we left?”   Jonghyun looks around and starts to stutter his answer.   Everyone can tell that he doesn’t want to answer.   What do I do? Why did I blurt out that I saw him there!?   “What’s up? How did you know?” Taecyeon repeats.   “Because we did see you before you two left.” Jessica answers for Jonghyun. You’re hurt too, Jonghyun. I know how it feels to have someone stolen away from you. This is the best I can do for you.   Taecyeon laughs and playfully pats Jonghyun. “Ya, then why didn’t you at least come and say something. She was waiting, ya know. She really wants to be officially accepted as your manager for your project.”   Jonghyun can’t hold it in anymore. Since the cat’s out of the bag, might as well just tell him now. “Taecyeon, you can’t like Yuri!”   “WHAT?!” Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk jump up. “You really like Yuri?” They are all up on Taecyeon’s face.   Taecyeon tries to sit back. “No, wait.”   The couple backs away, still standing.   Jonghyun smacks his lips. “…We saw you…and Yuri…”  
Please log in to read the full chapter