008

Dance With Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

“We’re not going to pick up Yuri?" Key asks the driver as they make head straight on the lane they usually make a turn to pick up Yuri at her school.

“She’s going to get picked up later because she has to do something after school. So, she won’t be helping you guys tonight." The driver responds to Key’s question. “Don’t worry. I haven’t forgotten about her."

 

Key slouches into his chair. Hm, I wonder if her presence would change the atmosphere here. Or, would it stay the same?

 

“What’s wrong? Why are you slouching all of the sudden?" Jonghyun asks.

 

If she’s not here, I’ll just mention her and see what happens. “Yuri’s not here." Key remarks, pretending to be sad.

 

Everyone becomes tenser, and Key senses it.

 

He smiles slyly. Did I hit a spot?

 

Jessica slowly gazes to look at Jonghyun. She sees the complexion on his face. What’s going to happen to us now?

 

Jonghyun is looking at Minho, who is staring off into space. Should I tell him that our temporary manager is possibly going out with Ta ecyeon? He brings a thumb to bite on. I mean, if I tell Minho, he can possibly get answers from Taecyeon, since Taeyceon’s the man. WAIT! Jonghyun takes out his thumb away from his mouth. But Yuri likes girls! Maybe I saw it wrong! Maybe…maybe Taecyeon had confessed to her and she rejected him and as Taecyeon got aggressive with her, he pushed her into the fountain and kissed her forcefully!

 

Jonghyun gasps at this sudden conclusion. The gasp is so loud everyone, even the driver looks at him with sudden fear.

 

“What’s wrong?" Minho asks.

 

“Did you forget something?" the driver asks.

 

Jonghyun shakes his head. “No, I didn’t." I need to warn Taecyeon before he gets hurt even more, or possibly humiliate himself!

 

Minho glances at Jonghyun who is dazing off in his own thoughts. I wonder if I should ask him about Taecyeon and Yuri. He and Jessica did see it. He looks at Jessica and Jonghyun. They seem pretty off today. Is it because they’re awkward about what they saw? He sighs. I am feeling awkward about this, too.

 

But…is this feeling really awkwardness?

 

*

 

“Hyoyeon! Eunhyuk! Where is our class’s spot?" Yuri asks, running over to the couple afterschool in the hallway.

 

Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk look at one another confusingly.

 

Hyoyeon points in a direction. “Over at the tables on the south wing. Why?"

 

“I’m going to find you guys after I’m done with my extra lessons, okay?" Yuri smiles.

 

Eunhyuk turns toward Yuri. “You’re not going to the boys today?"

 

“I am. Just later." She puts a hand on their shoulders. “I do have a life, you know. And my life just happens to include you two." She gives them a light hug and leaves the couple as she sprints to walk the opposite direction.

 

Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk look at each other.

 

“That’s so not fair!!" Hyoyeon pouts. “She was so cute!!"

 

Eunhyuk holds Hyoyeon’s hand. “I always prefer her when she’s smiling like this. Free and pure."

 

*

 

“Yuri! Over here!!" Hyoyeon yells Yuri’s name loudly to get Yuri to see where she and their class is at.

 

Yuri spots them and dashes forward, almost bumping into people and jumping through things.

 

“Kwon Yuri is here to rescue!!" Yuri proudly says after she finishes hugging Hyoyeon.

 

Hyoyeon laughs. “More like here to destroy things!!"

 

Yuri playfully pushes Hyoyeon. “Ya!!"

 

Hyoyeon retaliates. “I’m just saying the truth."

 

The girls stare at one another, sarcastically giving each other glares.

 

Hyoyeon finally sighs. “I give up."

 

Yuri jumps in the air, clapping to herself to celebrate the victory. “Where’s Eunhyuk oppa?"

 

Hyoyeon points to a group behind them. “Over there working with the rest of the boys."

 

Yuri walks over to their group. “So, what are we doing?"

 

“Yuri…?" Hyoyeon’s voice seems sad.

 

Yuri slowly turns around, worried at the tone of her friend’s voice. “Yeah?"

 

“You know what day this festival is in, right?" Hyoyeon asks.

 

Yuri smiles as she perks her head to the side, “Of course I do. It’s at the beginning of next month, right?" She turns around and grabs a paint brush to start painting the unfinished poster. “What color is this supposed to be?" She asks a girl next to her.

 

“The festival will be in two and a half weeks, Yuri."

 

“I know." Yuri is focused on the painting.

 

Hyoyeon walks over to Yuri and pulls her up. “Don’t you remember that in every festival, our group holds dances for entertainment to guests and to the school?"

 

Hearing this, Yuri drops her brush. Some of the paint splatters onto her shoes.

 

That’s right! How could I had forgotten! This will probably be the first time Appa won’t—

 

Hyoyeon gets Yuri’s attention again. “Yuri…you’ve still been receiving our dance practice videos for what we are going to do for this upcoming festival." She takes a pause for a deep breath and to make sure Yuri knows where she is heading to. “Will you dance with us in this festival?"

 

*

 

“Thank you! Thank you!!" Hyoyeon and Yuri bow down to the group of students and teachers who surrounded them.

 

They were surrounded because a few minutes ago when Yuri heard music from somewhere nearby, she started swaying her body to the rhythm. When she and Hyoyeon locked eyes, they both realized they were moving to the same beat. Before they knew it, their bodies just started dancing to the song. They weren’t planning to gather a lot of attention, but as they started dancing, the students’ attention all came to them.

 

A girl student shouts amongst the crowd a question when the dance of Hyoyeon and Yuri stops. “Yuri-shi. Are you going to come back this festival?"

 

That question is similar to Hyoyeon’s previous question.

 

Everyone is silent as the question is now receiving attention.

 

The girl shyly scoots back. “It’s been four months since you halted your activities, and…!"

 

Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk come over to Yuri and gave her courage by tapping her and smiling at her, implying they’re there for her.

 

A guy from the opposite side of the girl continues the question. “…We want to see your graduation solo dance."

 

That’s right. I haven’t had mine yet. Yuri looks both at her friends. Everyone in our dance group has already done one, except for me…

 

“Actually, she might have a cameo appearance instead…!" Eunhyuk comes into the rescue.

 

Both Hyoyeon and Yuri are shocked. This is the first time they both have heard about this.

 

“Since this question is answered, let’s continue working to make this festival one of the best—no—THE best it will ever be!!"

 

Everyone cheers and immediately goes back to work.

 

“Oppa, thank you…but…!" Yuri wants to thank Eunhyuk for protecting her.

 

He hugs and squeezes her tightly. “Actually, it’s not a lie."

 

Hoyeon pulls Eunhyuk away and says, “What do you mean?"

 

“Eunhyuk’s right." It is Mr. Heechul. He is the club advisor and Eunhyuk’s uncle.

 

The trio walks over to Heechul.

 

He pushes his glasses closer to his eyes to better concision. He looks at Yuri. “Yuri. I don’t know what your reason is, but I do know that you guys have made special ‘rules’ pertaining to your guys’ group to specifically differ from other school groups and idol groups."

 

I know. She patiently listens as she knows where the conversation is heading to.

 

“You all have always been on top of succeeding in being true to your words and that’s probably the third or fourth reason why you guys are all so popular even though you all had rejected signing onto big labels to become big." Heechul continues. “This festival will be your last for you guys before you all graduate and move on. I don’t know what you all have in mind for the future, but your underclassmen and we teachers have had so much fun ever since you guys ‘debuted’!"

 

Yuri can’t help, but smile. That’s right. I can’t let them down just because I have a problem. Everyone’s supported me whether they know what’s going on or not!

 

“Even if you don’t want to be a full participant like how you’ve always been, you can just show us your solo dance performance," Heechul suggests.

 

Hyoyeon claps in excitement. “That’s right! Why didn’t I think of that?!"

 

Eunhyuk rests his hand on Yuri’s shoulder. “But no pressure. If you really don’t want to do it, I’m pretty sure everyone will understand. After all, you’re Yuri, our black pearl!!"

 

*

 

“Hyung, are you okay?" Taemin asks Onew as Onew walks over to his chair.

 

Onew smiles cheekily. “I’m okay, thanks. I need to start walking so my legs can heal faster."

 

Taemin looks over Onew’s shoulder. “I guess right now we’re filming Jonghyun’s and Jessica scenes."

 

“Yup." Key intercedes as he sits beside Taemin, looking through the monitor along with Onew and him. He plays with Taemin’s long hair. “Don’t you think today a few people have been acting weird?"

 

Taemin backs away. “Definitely not me!!"

 

“Or me!!" Onew immediately follows Taemin.

 

Key laughs. “I know it’s not you guys."

 

Taemin leans over to Key. He cautiously asks, “Which staff? I was thinking that maybe it’s the Director. Maybe he’s been having a bad day and is venting it out on Jonghyun hyung."

 

Key leans in towards Taemin. “Is the Direct—!"

 

“ONE MORE TIME!!" The Director shouts from the shoot.

 

Taemin, Onew and Key look at them.

 

It is Jessica and Jonghyun.

 

“Jonghyun-ssi, you’re too stiff. Just touch the statue curiously, as you are a detective in the music video!" says the Director.

 

Taemin sighs. “See."

 

Key chuckles and shakes his head. I don’t think it’s the Director, but more like it’s Jonghyun.

 

My goodness! Why can’t I act straight?! Jonghyun stands as the Director and the staffs get ready to re-do the scene again. It’s just me slowly touching the statue…and Jessica looking at me. He doesn’t want to at the back of him because Jessica’s over there with a few staffs fixing her hair and clothes. When I’m done with this, I’ll just check the monitor and see how she looked at me.

 

“READY! SET!!" the Director shouts and the song plays in the background.

 

“Again?" Minho comes to the trio and stands behind Key.

 

“Yeah. Apparently, the Director doesn’t like how Jonghyun’s acting. He says Jonghyun’s too stiff." Onew points behind him.

 

Could it be an effect of the kiss of Yuri and Taecyeon? Minho scoffs. I can’t believe he’s ruining SHINee’s image and is unprofessionally not able to set apart personal and work affairs from one another.

 

“Hyung, you told me to remind you so…did you text Yoona ssi yet?" Taemin asks Minho.

 

Minho smiles and pats Taemin’s back, not giving an answer. He suddenly leaves the scene.

 

Taemin frowns. “I guess that’s a no."

 

…That man, too. He and Yoona are probably at their limit. Key slyly follows Minho’s absence throughout the door.

 

*

 

“Someone’s cell is…!" A lady says.

 

Yoona looks up from her script. “Ah, I think that’s mine!!" She rushes over to her bag and searches for her cell. She sees the ID is from Minho, and she hesitates to answer.

 

The lady looks at Yoona curiously and confusingly. “You’re not going to answer?"

 

She nervously smiles. “I... I am." She excuses herself and leaves the room. The cell stops ringing, and she looks at it. Is he going to call back? Her cell rings again, and it’s Minho re-calling. She answers it. “It’s me." She continues walking to find a safe place to talk.

 

“I thought you were going to text me." She says while greeting people along the way.

 

One of them is Taecyeon.

 

After the sudden greet, she immediately looks away. “Minho ah, wait." She runs down the stairs.

 

Right now…that was Minho?... Taecyeon follows Yoona secretly and tries to avoid being caught. I want to make sure they haven’t been busted…because now I can only care as a friend.

 

Yoona enters a door that leads to the stairs for use in case of fire emergency. She goes down a staircase and finally says, “Okay, we’re safe."

 

Unfortunately, she doesn’t know that Taecyeon has followed her and is one staircase above her as she is down.

 

“Your agency? Okay."

 

There is a moment of silence.

 

Come on. Have you two been busted or not? Taecyeon’s losing patience.

 

“…There…are you going to give me your answer?" Yoona asks into the phone.

 

Answer? Taecyeon slowly looks down to see Yoona. What answer? What question?

 

“I really mean it, Minho!" Yoona says. “When I said for us to go out, I really mean it."

 

*

 

“He’s on his way?" Hyoyeon asks Yuri as they are packing up to go home.

 

The preparations are going well and are safely put away.

 

Yuri zips her bag. “Yeah. I called him about ten minutes ago, so our driver would probably be here within the next twenty or so minutes."

 

“We’ll wait with you, then." Hyoyeon suggests.

 

“Sure."

 

Behind Hyoyeon is Eunhyuk who comes right on time.

 

Yuri shouts, “Oppa!!"

 

Hyoyeon makes a one-eighty degree turn and stands next to Yuri. “I’ve got your stuff." She hands his bag to him, and they start walking.

 

“I really miss us walking home like this together!!" Eunhyuk cheekily smiles.

 

“Guys." I made a decision! I can’t back out on it! Yuri smiles. “I want to give you my answer, but…" It’s best to be honest.

 

Eunhyuk comes over to Yuri’s side. “Don’t worry. Remember, I said no pressure."

 

“It’s not that. It’s…I want Appa to see me dance. I mean, he has always attended all my dances no matter how tired or no matter how busy he was."

 

There is no word from the couple as they walk down the stairs to the bottom main floor.

 

“I know I’m being selfish, but—"

 

Hyoyeon grabs onto Yuri’s wrist and then holds onto her hand. “Yuri ah. You’re not being selfish. We are. Despite knowing that you have a problem, we still want to dance with you and enjoy our last festival together as high school students."

 

“You guys aren’t! No one is but me! You all have to abide and fit things into my schedule instead." Yuri removes her hand from Hyoyeon’s. She takes a deep breath.

 

Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk gently pat her back to calm her down.

 

Hyoyeon touches Yuri’s forehead. No fever. This girl…always does this to herself. “Even if you are selfish, we wouldn’t care. You’re our precious friend. Our one and only Yuri."

 

The girls hug each other, and Eunhyuk smiles at the scene.

 

“She’s right, you know," he says.

 

Yuri backs away from the hug and holds onto an arm of Hyoyeon’s and Eunhyuk’s. “Then, can I be selfish this one time too?"

 

*

 

“As always, Key hyuung and Onew hyung are best at shooting music videos." Taemin compliments as he pouts. “I’m not satisfied with my dancing on here." He backs away from the monitor. “Maybe it’s time I get some dance practice from Yuri." He smiles happily. He bumps into Jessica and apologizes. “Sorry, noona. By the way, you were great too!"

 

Jessica smiles brightly. “Thank you. You were too. I think your dancing was great, though."

 

Taemin becomes brighter. “Really? Thank you, noona!" He moves away to let her see the monitor. “Here you go." He fans himself. “I think I’m going to get changed now."

 

She bids him goodbye and squeezes through Key and Minho. They all did so well. These boys are going to have a hit comeback! Shawols will be happy for the boys.

 

When it gets to the part where Jonghyun had to redo his scene with Jessica many times, everyone focused on what was so hard for him to properly do the scene.

 

“That’s it?" Key points to the monitor and faces Jonghyun. “You had to redo the scenes for just touching a statue? What could be so hard about that?"

 

Jessica slyly takes a glance at the chuckling Jonghyun. Is it because of what I did? Or is it because of Yuri?

 

Jonghyun makes a face. Oh, it is hard! It’s hard when you have the girl you like look at you while-

 

“Jessica noona, your expressions suit this MV." Onew compliments, trying to change the subject to save Jonghyun.

 

Everyone looks again and sees what Onew sees. They all face her, giving her the attention.

 

She giggles. “Actually, that’s what the Director said—to make that kind of expression. I’m glad that I was able to portray it nicely then." Jonghyun’s not the only one who’s affected. I thought I’d get yelled at for unknowingly looking at him that way during the shoot, but when the Director confronted me about it, he didn’t show any sort of indifference.

 

Key smirks and decides to instigate. “I just noticed something."

 

Everyone perks up to listen to Key.

 

“That facial expression. . . you always do that when you’re with Jonghyun."

 

Everyone stays quiet.

Please log in to read the full chapter