{3} An Easy Agreement

Just Friends

 Jaeseop

 About an hour later I was in the kitchen, fixing a late meal – Naru usually ate something small around nine, and I figured I should make her something as an apology.

Naturally, I went with her favorite: a grilled cheese sandwich. It’s kind of funny that I make the best ones (according to her), seeing as she’s the one who studied abroad in America, came back, and taught me how to make them. I heard scuffling in the hallway as the smell of grilled cheese started to waft through our small apartment – moments later, Naru slid out of her room, scrambling to grab onto the counter and lean over it so that she could grin at the grilled cheese I was making.

“My favorite!” She squealed as she tried to skid around the kitchen counter, colliding with my back in a tight hug.

“It’s in case you’re still mad at me,” I chuckled, reaching for a plate and scooping the sandwich onto it, not at all held back by her arms tightly around my stomach. I held it out to the side, smiling at the overjoyed squeak she made as she seized the plate and darted around the counter, zooming passed Amber as she skidded to a stop in front of the couch and plopped onto it, taking an overjoyed bite out of the sandwich.

“Seeing as she’s entered the euphoric state that happens every time you make her a grilled cheese sandwich,” Amber began to say with a smile as she walked around the counter and towards the door, “I’ll just head out.”

“Did you get done what you needed?” I asked as I moved the frying pan I used into the sink.

“Barely,” Amber giggled as she crouched down to put her shoes on.

“But we got some stuff done!” Naru called out before taking another large bite out of her sandwich. Amber just chuckled and shook her head as she put her jacket on and picked up her backpack.

“I love you!” Naru screamed from her spot on the couch as Amber opened the door. “Be safe!”

“I love you, too, and I always am!” Amber called back overdramatically as she closed the door after her. I chuckled and grabbed a kettle, filling it with water; I looked over at Naru as I started to prepare her a cup of hot chocolate, smiling at the sight of her gleefully eating her sandwich on the couch.

“What’cha doin’?” Naru asked playfully as she stood up with her clean plate – except for a few crumbs, of course. Naru couldn’t eat a meal without leaving some crumbs, even if her life depended on it.

“Making you hot chocolate,” I told her as she walked around the counter and put her plate in the sink.

“Aw…” she cooed, wrapping her arms around my waist and resting her head on my shoulder. “Why are you spoiling me so much tonight?” She giggled.

“I told you – it’s in case you’re still mad at me.” She sighed, my skin tingling where her hot breath touched.

“I told you when I got home that I can’t stay mad at you for very long,” she stated, letting go of me so that should could twirl around and lean against the counter, smiling at me.

“Go sit on the couch – I’ll bring your hot chocolate over when it’s ready,” I told her, ignoring her statement. She made a small ‘hmph’ noise and pouted, but went over and curled up on the couch, nonetheless. As I promised, I brought her hot chocolate over to her once it was ready.

“I love you,” she cooed playfully as she accepted the cup.

“I love you, too,” I chuckled, shaking my head as I sat down. She immediately stretched her legs out, draping them across my lap. I glanced at her and quirked an eyebrow, chuckling again when she only smiled cutely at me over the rim of her mug. I leaned forward and grabbed my book off of the coffee table, opening it at my bookmark and starting to read; I held it open against my chest using one hand so that I could leave my other hand on Naru’s legs, gently one of them with my thumb and occasionally moving my hand to trace random shapes on the other with my fingertips.

This is when I was most content – the two of us sitting in a comfortable silence, just enjoying being next to each other. I was at my happiest when we were playing around like we were earlier, before Amber showed up. I heard her sigh contentedly when she finished her hot chocolate and pouted when she pulled her legs away from me so that she could stand up and carry her cup to the sink.

Not too much later, she sat back down again next to me and curled up against my side, opening a book of her own. I glanced down and smiled.

“Harry Potter? Again?”

“It’s the fourth one!” She laughed, pointing at the cover. “And I’m reading it in English.”

“Hm…” I hummed softly and went back to reading my book. “I should try that at some point…”

“I have the first three if you want to try!” She beamed, shooting up and smiling at me.

“Let me finish this one first,” I chuckled and gestured at the open book in my hands. She hummed and curled up at my side again, opening the book.

I kept glancing at her, smiling at her look of wide-eyed interest as she quickly became absorbed in the story. We had been sitting in comfortable silence for a few minutes before I couldn’t resist my urge to turn my head a little bit and smell her hair.

As much as I felt like a huge creep when I did, she always smelled nice. My head snapped back to my book when she moved, but I looked back at when she poked my cheek.

“Yes?” I asked, smiling at her. She pressed her lips together for a moment before she averted her eyes and sighed.

“Why did you try setting me up with Myungsoo?” She asked. The question threw me off and I only gaped at her in surprise. I cleared my throat and lowered my book.

“A few weeks ago… you were talking about how you wanted a boyfriend,” I reminded her. “I figured you and he would get along, since I told him about you and he seemed interested.”

“Were you planning on trying to set me up with any other friends of yours?” She deadpanned. I tensed up and looked at her in surprise. She giggled and shook her head, nudging me with her shoulder. “I know you, Jaeseop-ah,” she pointed out.

“… Are you mad at me?” I asked her after a few moments of silence.

“You had the best intentions,” she said casually, opening her book again. The room went silent again, but I only stared at her; she wanted to say something else – I could feel it. When she didn’t say anything else I poked her shoulder.

“There’s something else that you want to tell me,” I stated. She pressed her lips together and slowly lowered her book to her lap.

“You…” She sighed and looked up at me. “You could have asked me.”

“Would you have agreed?” I scoffed.

“Yes.” My head snapped around to stare at her in disbelief.

“Really?” My voice cracked when I spoke, and I winced at the noise.

“I trust you, Jaeseop,” she told me as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I stared at her for another few moments before I shifted awkwardly in my seat.

“Would you agree to another date?” I asked her under my breath. She looked up at me, more surprised than annoyed.

“You have more?” She sounded incredulous.

“You aren’t the only one who has more than three friends!” I pointed out indignantly.

“And you want to try and set me up with all of them?”

“Oh God no!” I shook my head rapidly, nearly giving myself whiplash. “Although a lot of them are nice guys, some of them I don’t want anywhere near you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She asked, glaring at me a little bit.

“It means that, although I have a lot of friends, there are some of them that I don’t trust to be around you.”

“Why?”

“… Okay, I lied – some of the guys I hang out with can be real ,” I admitted.

“So why do you hang out with them?” She asked, pouting at me.

“Because they aren’t all the time,” I sighed, burying one of my hands in my hair. She made a small noise and put her book down, turning to her side so that she could face me properly.

“Either way – you should have just asked.” I did a double-take and looked at her in confusion.

“What?”

“If you had asked,” she told me, “I would have agreed.” I stared at her in disbelief before tilting my head to the side a little bit.

“Just like that?”

“Jaeseop,” she began to say with a smile as she pulled her legs up to her chest, “I trust you.”

As stupid as it may sound, I felt myself melting at her cute smile and couldn’t resist my urge to reach over and pull her into my arms, cradling her against my chest as she giggled and squirmed a little bit.

“You know,” she began to say, “if I end up dating one of the guys you set me up with, we won’t be able to keep doing this.”

“Why not?” I asked, putting my head on top of hers.

“Because I guarantee you that he’ll get the wrong idea,” she stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

The phrase, ‘the wrong idea,’ echoed in my mind as I held her.

“Well, until then, I’m going to cuddle with my best friend anyways,” I declared, giving her a tight squeeze. She hummed and cuddled closer to my chest.

“My best friend…” she mumbled. I sat there, glad to have her warmth cuddled against my chest, and gently ran my fingers through her hair. I listened to her soft breathing as it evened out and smiled when I knew that she was fast asleep. She was already in my lap, so I lifted her into my arms and carried her down the hall into her room. I put her down gently and pulled the covers over her, smiling as she sighed contentedly and cuddled into her pillow.

“Jaeseoppie…” she sighed happily, wrapping her arms around her pillow. I couldn’t help but smile and lean down to kiss her head gently.

“Sleep well, Naru,” I cooed as I stood up and left her room quietly, closing the door gently as I left.

------------------------

A/N: D'aw! I've written Jaeseop to be such a lovesick kitty! XD 

Although their current relationship may seem somewhat cliche (if you've read as much fanfiction as I have), I'm planning on putting a humorous twist on it later on. ;D

Let me know what you think so far?