13 Years Later

Us Against the World

Uknown Location 2018, 13 years later

 

The rugged looking man gazed at his surroundings. Thirteen years. That’s how long he’s been in prison and the breath of fresh air rejuvenated him. Right now, standing right outside the prison he felt like a completely new person and as if he was on top of the world. He could do anything.

The man let out a big and heavy sigh as he took in this feeling for a moment more, before turning to his old friend. This man has been with him through everything and he was more like a brother than a friend. He gave the man a tight hug before letting go with a smile.

“It’s nice to finally see you again Songjun.”

Songjun gave a wry smile at the comment. “Same goes for you Jungho. It’s not the same without you.”

“I bet it’s not.” The man laughed. The comment was bittersweet and left him thinking. How were things now? It’s been thirteen years, surely he’s missed a lot.

“What about…?”

Songjun understood his question even if he didn’t complete the sentence. He let out a sigh before turning his head to stare at the prison before them. “Everything corrupted. It’s over Jungho.” He saw the look of shock on the slightly taller man’s face and took that as his cue to continue. “The police caught on to the base and arrested almost every single person. Only a few people including me, got away.”

It was quiet for a moment both thinking the same thing.

“Jungho, he’s still out there.”

Jungho faced Songjun. He felt anger course through him, of course the bastard got away. He always does.

Songjun placed a hand on his shoulder. “Let’s go home, yeah?” Jungho nodded his head as they both turned to walk towards the brunette’s car. Jungho took a seat at the passenger side as a thought crossed his mind. “I think I want to see my boy first.”

Songjun looked at him with a grim expression. “Are you sure he wants to see you, though?”

Did he? Again, it’s been thirteen years and he probably doesn’t even remember him. What if worse, he only remembers him as the man who killed his mother? A frown took place on his face as anxiety started running through his body. How can he convince his own son?

He shook his head. He’s done his time and would not live in the past and worry about what he could have done differently. He’ll convince him, it is his own son after all.

“Just please, Songjun-ah…”

The man slowly nodded his head as he turned the engine on. This could go so wrong.

 

 

Seoul 2018. 13 years later

The music was blasting off the walls as a young man was fixing his hair, making sure it sat just perfectly. He sang to the lyrics a bit and goofed off before laughing to himself. When he felt like his hair was just right, he gazed at the small polaroid picture of his beloved girlfriend before kissing his hand and placing it on the picture. He gave a small amused smile at his antics before a dainty hand snatched the brush out of his hand. Surprised, he turned to see who it was and groaned when he saw his half-sister glaring at him.

“This is mine, Jungkook! Don’t touch my stuff!” She’d yelled before rushing away into her room, giving away a small chuckle as she heard Jungkook yelling after her. They always do this every morning. Jungkook steals her brush and she always snatches it back.

The two had met when Jungkook was six years old. Two years after the incident. Jungkook had been moved around to different families before his aunt got a hold of him. He’s thankful for it, not having to familiarize himself with a new family just to be moved away again. His aunt treated him like her own son and never made a difference between her own daughter and him. He’ll always be thankful for her.

Jiyeon was the name of his half-sister/cousin. They got along right away and were always attached to the hip. Jungkook didn’t have anyone else around his age so naturally, they became close from the start. Of course he started making new friends when they enrolled him at the same school Jiyeon went to, but he was still the most comfortable around her. She never judged him and always listened to his problems. He was happy to have her in his life. But that didn’t mean they didn’t get on each other’s nerves half of the time, but what sibling relationship doesn’t have that?

“Jungkook! Jiyeon! Breakfast is ready!” His aunt, Haeun, yelled. She busied herself with the cutlery as her mother was right behind her, nagging on and on about starting to find a new man.

“Haeun, it’s been a long time! The kids have grown up and are more independent. Don’t you think it’s time?”

Haeun rolled her eyes. “I think the best time will be when I decide for myself, mom.” She heard her mother letting out a sigh before helping her daughter with the plates.

They all lived together in a small apartment in downtown Seoul. It wasn’t the best place but it was perfect for them, a small and cozy apartment just for them. They didn’t need anything else if they were all together. Haeun was happy with the way things were and didn’t feel the need to bring a new man into her life. She was content with the way things were right now. She wished her mother would understand.

Suddenly the doorbell rang. Haun turned to her mother with a confused look only to find the exact same expression on her mother’s face. She shrugged before walking up to the door, opening it up only to get the shock of her life. She couldn’t believe her eyes.

Jungho was standing right there, in front of her. How dare he turn up just like this? A frown settled upon her face.

“What are you doing here?” She tried to keep her voice as low as possible so no one else notices the uninvited guest standing right outside her apartment. She obviously failed as she found her mom right behind her looking disgruntled.

“You’re not supposed to be here, Jungho.” Her mother said with distaste clear in her voice. Jungho let out a small and nervous laugh before trying to explain. “I just want to see my son.”

Busan, August 2005

The atmosphere was quiet and heartbreaking. Right there in front of everyone was a brown and shining coffin being lowered to the ground. All you could hear were sobs and cries of desperation, some were still in denial. No one wanted to believe what had happened, but the proof was right in front of them.

Haeun stared at the coffin being lowered and felt her heart shatter into millions of tiny pieces. A thousand’s of what if’s went through her head, anything that could have prevented this from happening. She let out a sob of heartbreak before turning away. She couldn’t look anymore. It was too much.

She lifted her head and saw him in a black suit, holding on to a couple of roses. Immediately, anger went through her body. How could he!? He took her sister away from her, all of this was because of him!

She saw him making his way to the funeral and immediately started rushing towards him, preventing him from getting closer. She wouldn’t let him.

She slapped him so hard the sound traveled all the way to where they were burying her own sister.

He looked down at her in shock.

“Don’t you dare come here!”

Her mother was now behind her, holding her close trying to bring her back to where everyone else was.

“Leave us alone, Jungho. Don’t ever come close to my family ever again.”

 

Haeun frowned and was about to yell at him before a voice yelled out, “Who is it?” She sighed as Jiyeon came forward and stared at Jungho in confusion. “Can we help you?”

Her grandmother started spluttering, desperately trying to get the small girl away from the man. She widened her eyes as Jungkook magically appeared beside Haeun and closed her eyes in disappointment. Of course all of this commotion would make the younger boy curious.

Jungho’s eyes met Jungkook’s and the man gave small smile in his direction. “Don’t you remember me, son?” Jungho could tell by the look on the young boy’s face that he very clearly knew who he was. But the sentence that left the younger’s mouth surprised him.

“No. Who are you?”

Jungho huffed with a small smile. “I’m your father, Jungkook.”

He watched as the brown-haired boy gave a look of disgust his way.

“I don’t have a dad.” Was all he said before turning around, leaving everyone in the hallway as he went to his room.

An awkward and crushing feeling surged through the tall man’s body. He was turned away by his own son. He sighed as he looked down to Haeun, desperately trying to make her understand. She only shook her head with a disappointing look on her face.

“Leave us alone, Jungho.”

The door was slammed in his face before he could say anything else.

Jungho sighed. He would do anything to get in contact with his son. He wouldn’t give up. Not yet.