The Teaser

Us Against the World

Busan 2005

 

“Jungho you need to cut them out. I need your help at home.”

The dark brunette wandered around the kitchen with a basket of clean laundry, right behind her was her husband trying to convince the petite woman. He needed this job, it was his only source of income.

“Seohyun you need to understand me! I can’t just cut them off.”

The woman turned around to face the tall man, “What about me and Jungkook?”

“I’m doing this for you both!”

It turned quiet after Jungho’s claim. The couple stared at each other, desperately trying to find a middle ground. Seohyun knew and understood how difficult it was for her husband, but it broke her heart every time she saw the sad pout on little Jungkook’s face whenever his father would leave to “run some errands”.

Jungho knew his job would become an obstacle for his family and he’s tried so many times to just leave. But it’s never so easy. His job is dangerous, and he knows he could die every time he leaves the house. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a say in the matter, it was either this or risk his family getting hurt. And Jungho would do anything in his power to keep that from happening.

 

Seohyun noticed Jungkook standing right behind his father in the corner of her eye, knowing he’d witnessed the fight she immediately walked up to her son. She gave him a small smile and kissed him on the forehead before caressing his soft brown hair. Her little Jungkookie…She’d do anything for him. She was disappointed in herself for fighting with his father in front of him, these matters should be taken in the privacy of their bedroom. She gave out a small sigh before picking up her laundry basket and moved to go outside to their little yard to hang the freshly washed clothes. She’ll have to bake him something for a compensation, of course she wouldn’t tell the small boy just yet about his father’s occupation. He was too young.

 

Jungkook stood there a bit sad because his parents were fighting again but he knew they would be alright. Nothing could ever break them apart. That much he knew. He was getting lost in his own thoughts before he saw his father moving frantically to take out a small box out of the cupboards. He observed the man suspiciously before widening his eyes when he saw his dad taking out a gun. Why did they even have that?

“Dad-!”

“Get down to the basement now boy!”

Jungkook couldn’t move, he felt like he was paralyzed.

“I said now Jungkook!”

Jungkook didn’t move. He refused to.

His dad was suddenly running out of the kitchen and out to their yard. Mom was there, why was his father running towards his mom? He felt his heart beating heavily and incredibly fast as sweat started to run down his temples. His dad was running towards his mom with a gun! Why would he run after her with a gun!? Jungkook couldn’t believe his eyes, he wanted to look away so badly but his body wouldn’t listen to him. He wanted to warn his mother. Why couldn’t he make a single sound!?

Suddenly-

“Jungho-!”

A shot was heard. Everything turned eerily quiet.

Jungkook’s body was trembling so hard and he could barely breathe. He knew his father didn’t chase him with the gun but somehow it felt like he was the one who got shot. Tears were running down his small cheeks and he began hyperventilating. This wasn’t happening, it couldn’t be. None of this was true, Jungkook knew it was just a nightmare.

His father’s cries could be heard so loud, he was sure his neighbors must have noticed by now. He broke out of his stupor when his eyes met his father’s. They were bloodshot and Jungkook’s never seen someone look so broken. His eyes focused on his mother’s body laying in his father’s arms.

Blood.

Blood everywhere.

Jungkook gave up as everything turned black around him.

His father shot his mother. He killed her