[Chapter III: Family]

[VIXX] Mirage in the Sky

  

[Chapter III: Family]

 

 

It's been four years and counting since their grandfather had to live in a nursing home far from their actual home. The once energetic grandfather grew ill and his body became much more fragile after a high fever. Even if one doesn't want to admit it, the senior was aging and it was probably hard for him to take care of two boys on his own without anyone to help him. When Hakyeon's grandfather first became hospitalized, he didn't know what to do and he wanted to take care of his grandfather all by himself. But he was still in college at the time and he didn't have much money either due to paying for his and Sanghyuk's tuitions. Even his part-time work as a writer wasn't paying off much. There just wasn't any other way to earn money for the three of them and Hakyeon really struggled a lot. 

He managed to gain enough money eventually from selling off some of their family's heirloom, old books, and furnishing but it was still not enough. That's why Hakyeon decided to withdraw from college and use his savings for his family instead. Not long after that, he decided to become a full-time writer, turning the stories he's written in his blog into full-length novels. Considering himself lucky, Hakyeon's books paid off and eventually, he was earning enough for the three of them. Also, Sanghyuk's grades and academic achievements helped the younger get enough scholarships for when he goes to college. Even if Hakyeon couldn't finish college, he wanted Sanghyuk to be able to get a degree. 

Family is important. Hakyeon has always thought so, and that was thanks to his grandfather's constant reminder. 

When he had to find a good nursing home for his grandfather, he didn't know which one was actually good. But he came across a small home on the outside of their town, Little Valley and a little closer to grandfather's favorite hiking spot - Starlight Peaks. Hakyeon knew how much his grandfather loved that area, so he thought it'd be the perfect place for his grandfather's rehab. 

It was a forty-minute drive from home but it was a smooth one. The roads that led to the nursing home were newly paved and there wasn't much traffic along the way either. It didn't feel too long for Hakyeon to reach there before it got too late.

The sun had gone down already and the night got a little chillier. Judging from the outside, most of the lights have already gone off.

I wonder if gramps is sleeping already, Hakyeon thought as he made his way up the porch of the entrance.

"Hakyeon? You're late tonight," the receptionist recognized him right away as soon as the young man stepped foot inside.

"Yeah. Sorry. I got lost track of time. I wanted to come earlier but..." Hakyeon sighed a little. "How's gramps been doing?"

"He's doing just fine. He's still recovering from that cold last week but the doctor said he's stable and just needs lots of rest. Don't worry."

"I'm sorry I couldn't come to see him."

"Don't fret. I'm sure you were busy with your novel like always. As expected of a famous author. I read your last book, it was great," the receptionist continued to praise.

"T-thank you," Hakyeon blushed a little just from the compliment. "Is gramps already asleep?"

"He went to bed after dinner but you could sneak a peek as long as you keep quiet, okay?"

"I will, thank you."

Hakyeon walked through the long corridors, dimly lit for the night. There was a calm, soothing fragrance in the nursery home, possibly from all the marigolds that were planted in the garden at the back. It wasn't just that but one of the main reasons why Hakyeon knew that this was the perfect nursery home for his gramps was due to the natural surrounding and decor of the place. It was a good environment for not just his gramps but even for himself, who was visiting so late at night. After losing himself from the relaxing surroundings, Hakyeon eventually made his way to his grandfather's bedroom, and carefully, he opened the door without making a sound.

The lights were already turned off except for the one lamp next to his grandfather's bedside. Hakyeon saw his grandfather already asleep, so he quietly cleaned up the room and changed the flower vase on the table. He pulled a chair next to his grandfather and saw his grandfather's complexion looking a lot better just like the receptionist told him.

"How have you been, gramps?" Hakyeon whispers as if he was having a conversation with his grandfather. "Sanghyuk is in his last year of high school. Can you believe it? He's even taller than me now. Somehow, I can't believe it's been 15 years since then."

Do you still remember when we found Sanghyuk? On the day when the Mirage emerged?

 

 

When the crackling of the sky stopped and the sky turned into a mysterious puzzle, both Hakyeon and his grandfather were in quite the panic. They tried to remain calm and decided to head back to town immediately so see what was going on. But as they made their way down the mountain, they heard a child's cry. 

They didn't know where it was coming from, and honestly, they were freaked out. But the crying didn't stop and Hakyeon's grandfather couldn't ignore it anymore. They decided to follow it but neither of them expected to find a child in the middle of nowhere. They found a child, no older than three, all alone in the forest and next to him was a lantern. Hakyeon's grandfather tried to call out for the child's parents but there were no answers. Worried about the sky but more worried about the lost child, the two of them decided to bring the child down the mountains and brought him to the police station in case anyone was looking for their son. But even the station was in a frenzy trying to figure out what was happening to the sky. They were too busy about a possible end-of-the-world scenario more so than worried about a missing child. 

"We'll look after you for the time being until we find your parents," grandfather said to the young child who wouldn't stop crying amongst the chaos. Hakyeon's grandfather looked around the child to see if there were anything he could find about the child's identity and indeed, inside the cradle that he found the child, was a name tag. "Is your name, Sanghyuk?"

Sanghyuk, believed to be about 3 or 4 at the time when they found him, wouldn't stop crying throughout the day. No matter what grandfather did, the child would not stop his tears. Hakyeon, who was twelve at the time, was genuinely annoyed at Sanghyuk.

"I can't concentrate!" Hakyeon felt frustrated about all the crying in the house. 

"Now, now, Hakyeon-ah. Be nice," grandfather told him. "You'll scare Sanghyuk if you shout."

"Ugh!" he hated the fact that grandfather was paying more attention to Sanghyuk then him now. He stomped back to his room, carrying all of his school work with him along the way. 

This is so unfair! Who does he think he is? Hakyeon didn't like the child. Hakyeon couldn't help but feel as if Sanghyuk stole his grandfather.

But after some time, Sanghyuk finally stopped crying for no reason, possibly because he's finally adjusted to the unfamiliar setting. Instead, he began to crawl and walk around the house all by himself. He was curious about everything and especially at whatever Hakyeon was doing.

"You're in my way," Hakyeon tried to ignore Sanghyuk whenever he made eye contact with the child.

"Nhyung. Ny..." Sanghyuk babbled random words, trying to see what his older brother was doing. "Nnn~"

Hakyeon glared at Sanghyuk a little, saw the child's round eyes that shimmered with curiosity. He didn't bother Hakyeon but instead, he sat quietly to watch what the older was doing. 

"Nyoong," the child called out to him.

Hakyeon sighed in defeat. Sanghyuk was too cute, grandfather was right. There was no way that Hakyeon could stay mad at the child who 'stole' his grandfather for too long because Sanghyuk was strangely more attached to him then grandfather. Eventually, Hakyeon felt sorry for Sanghyuk.

"Where's your mom and dad?" Hakyeon asked the three-year-old as he poked the child's nose, causing Sanghyuk to scratch his nose from the little tickle. 

Hakyeon knew what it was like to not have any parents. He was just lucky to have gramps. Maybe it'll be okay... you can stay with us. The three of us together - Me, you and gramps.

 

 

"I still can't believe time has flown by so quickly. It really feels like Sanghyuk is a part of the family now. He's grown up so well, that he's starting to take care of me instead. I'm proud of him but I wish I could do more for him," Hakyeon continues.

As Hakyeon continued to share stories of Sanghyuk to his grandfather, his grandfather eventually woke up.

"Sorry, gramps. Did I wake you up?" Hakyeon said.

His grandfather didn't utter a word but he turned his head and stared at the water pitcher next to them. Hakyeon noticed it right away and poured his grandfather a glass of water.

"Let me help you sit up, gramps," Hakyeon said. 

He gave the glass to his grandfather, supporting the elder to hold up the glass but he saw how skinny his grandfather has become. Even his hands were trembling from holding the cup. 

"Gramps, can I ask you something?" Hakyeon one-sidedly asked. "Have you ever been in a slump? I don't know what to write for the next piece. I'm in trouble. I can't even imagine the kind of characters I want to write anymore. I used to have so many things I want to write especially since we talked so much about the Mirage together. But recently, I can't think of anything at all. But I have to keep writing, don't I? I can't not write."

Our family is depending on me... 

"Nevermind," Hakyeon gave up quickly with asking his grandfather since it was obvious he wouldn't get a response. "Next time, I'll bring Sanghyuk with me. He's almost finished with exams and winter holidays are coming. It's been a while since the three of us celebrated Christmas, right?"

After chatting a little with gramps, Hakyeon noticed that his grandfather's eyes were drooping. So, he decided to tuck his grandfather back to sleep since it was getting really late. But just as he was about to place a blanket over his grandfather, his grandfather suddenly grabbed his wrist without a word.

"Gramps?" Hakyeon was surprised since this has never happened before.

Slowly, his grandfather lifts his arms up and pointed at Hakyeon's forehead. He opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something but no words came out. 

"Gramps? What's wrong?" Hakyeon asks again.

Still, no words. But his grandfather continued to point at Hakyeon's forehead and though the elder's fingers were cold, Hakyeon felt warm. It was a strange feeling.

"Is some-"

Suddenly, before Hakyeon could say another word, a flash lit up the room from the outside. He turns around immediately to see where it was coming from and that's when he heard a nostalgic crackle from the sky.

He rushed to the window to look up at the Mirage.

The sky was morphing. Changing and turning into something else. The Mirage changed in front of his very eyes for the first time in fifteen years. 

"W-What's going on?" Hakyeon was horrified to see the Mirage change.

The sky that looked like a broken mirror suddenly reflected several images above - none of which Hakyeon could make sense of. They looked as if they were not of this world, but instead, of places somewhere in the distance. There were forests in one piece of the sky, another with a sea so vast that no land could be seen, caves formed from ice and more. 

When Hakyeon turned back to his grandfather, his elder continued to point ahead, but this time, at the Mirage itself. 

 

 

A/N: 

I made some revisions from the first few chapters due to a minor mistake. Maybe you guys won't notice it at all xD