[Chapter I: Brothers Part I]

[VIXX] Mirage in the Sky

[Chapter I: Brothers Part I]

 

 

Knock. Knock.

"Breakfast is ready," someone suddenly knocked on the door from the other side.

"Hyogi?" Hakyeon got up immediately from his short nap and went to open the door. "You're up already? And made breakfast? You're fast!"

"It's nothing. Wash up and come downstairs before the food gets cold," the younger boy said, and already in his school uniform.

"Got it. I'll be right downstairs," Hakyeon gleamed a bright smile as soon as he saw his beloved younger brother's face, Sanghyuk.

Hakyeon quickly got washed up and changed out of his pajamas. He hurried downstairs and entered the tiny dining room. There wasn't much and there wasn't a need for any. It was just the two of them after all. As he entered the dining room, he saw Sanghyuk already sitting down at the table and eating without him. Hakyeon quietly took his seat across from the younger and glanced across the table to see all his favorite food as breakfast - bacon and mushroom omelette, a piece of toast lightly spreaded with butter, and a glass of orange juice already poured out for him. Hakyeon couldn't be any happier.

"As expected of our Hyogi, the best cook in town. You should really consider opening your own shop or something after you graduate. Even your lunch boxes are good!" Hakyeon said jokingly as he smelled the food and ready to dig in.

"No interest," the younger simply said. "Plus, college is still a long ways to go. I'm still in high school, remember?"

"Yeah, I know. I'm just saying. You're in your third year already, aren't you?"

Sanghyuk nodded slightly and looked at Hakyeon in silence for a moment, let out a heavy sigh and shook his head about something. Probably disappointed at the fact that his older brother even had to ask something so obvious.

"Heh~" Hakyeon could only let out an awkward laughter and went back to quietly eating his food.

Hakyeon have always been too busy with his work as a novelist that he would often trap himself in his study room to work on his book. It wasn't easy and there were too many deadlines.

Hakyeon steals another glance as the younger, bit his lips nervously and trying to think of something to talk about. Aside from the television in the background, the room was filled with silence. But what do young people talk about nowadays? Games? Sports? Girls? 

Does Sanghyuk even have the time to find a girlfriend or anyone he likes at all? Hakyeon doesn't know and the younger never tells him these things. 

Just then, Hakyeon noticed something.

"Did you get taller again?" Hakyeon asked. He saw that the sleeves on the younger have gotten shorter than when he was in his first year and his shoulders also looks a lot broader the last time they talked face-to-face like this. "How tall are you now?"

"183," Sanghyuk paid no attention to his brother and steered his attention to the television outside.

Hakyeon felt awkward once again. Being almost ten years, it seems that they have nothing in common. Maybe if he had gone to college and went outside more like a social person, he would be able to get a few tips on how to talk to people. Even if it's his younger brother. 

Being a writer was tough.

"183, huh?" Hakyeon was trying really hard to continue the meaningless conversation. "When did you get taller than me?"

Sanghyuk suddenly gets up from his spot, looks at Hakyeon for a split second and mutters, "since a while ago." And went off to put his dirty dishes away.

That left Hakyeon hanging onto the conversation alone. There was no way to continue it. It was cut off before it even got anywhere. 

But what can he say? Hakyeon have been too busy finishing up his latest novel that he's completely neglected his one and only brother? Should he apologize? But if he did, the younger would probably look at his ridiculously and sigh like usual. After all, this isn't the first time.

In fact, it's happened far too many times.

Ever since Hakyeon started to write for his career, he would spend endless nights in the study room to meet a deadline. He would lose sleep just to make sure that he can turn in his manuscript in time. Only when he's finished with a chunk of his novel, would he actually have the time to come out. Even breakfast like the one this morning is unusual for him. Usually, the younger would just knock on his door, leave the food outside and wait for Hakyeon to remember that he needs to eat too. 

I promised gramps that I'd look after Sanghyuk. I'm such an idiot. Hakyeon slams his head lightly down on his desk, disappointed at himself.

Not long after, he heard the entrance doors open and closed. Keys turning the handles and locking it. Hakyeon raced to the windows from his study room on the second floor to see Sanghyuk riding off with his bicycle. He looked at the clock, still a little early.

"Club?"' Hakyeon assumed and silently said goodbye to Sanghyuk even though the younger obviously didn't look back.

 

 

Hakyeon sat back down at his desk, just in time for his phone to ring.

"Hello?" Hakyeon picked it up on the first ring.

"Wow, you're awake already? I thought you stayed up all night to finish up the chapter. Didn't expect you to sound so awake," a lady's voice could be heard.

"Sanghyuk made breakfast," Hakyeon proudly said.

"Tough being your brother. Makes me think who's the older one in the family sometimes," she chuckles at him.

"Shush. I guess you got the manuscript?"

"Yup but I just got in my office so I haven't looked at it yet."

"Oh, I see," Hakyeon somehow felt a little relieved. "Well, take your time Eunji."

Take as much time as possible, please. He wanted to say.

"I'll take as little time as possible," she replied as if she could read his mind. 

After all, Jung Eunji has been his editor since he started writing. The two knew each other since high school and even before she became an editor, she would often read Hakyeon's writings. She knew him too tell that Hakyeon would always find himself on the losing end of their arguments.

"Anyways, have you started to think of your next book?" She really didn't give him time to breathe.

"No," Hakyeon said. "Don't I get any vacation? I haven't had one in such a long time~" 

"And whose fault is that? If you didn't always turn in your manuscript at such a last minute each time, you'd have all the time in the world for vacation."

She had a point.

"But I'm running out of ideas," Hakyeon whined.

"Hmm..." she thought for a moment. "Well, I guess I don't blame you. Three books in one year might have been overdoing it. I'll talk to the boss-man and see if you can have some time off. But that doesn't mean that you can slack off completely!"

"Hurray!" Hakyeon beamed from his seat in joy. Now I'll finally have some time to spend with Hyogi.

"What are you going to do while you're free?" She asked him.

"Maybe check up with Sanghyuk?" He answered her question with another question.

"I thought he's at his final year. Are you sure you want to bother him while he's preparing for his exams?"

"Ah..."

He forgot, again

"I-I know! I'll ask gramps," Hakyeon thought of the perfect person to look for.