envy

envy | 유나

 

and you don’t match but i keep thinking of you

i don’t know what this is but i want to see through you

don’t pretend like you don’t know and come closer to me

 

 

 

“which of the other members would you most like to be and why?” the radio host had asked the five girls one of the fan submitted questions and yuna wasn’t so sure what to answer.

 

yeji had chosen chaeryeong, lia had chosen yeji, ryujin had chosen yeji, chaeryeong chose ryujin and now it was yuna’s turn.

 

“yuna, are you there?” she blinked and looked up at the presenter, who was smiling kindly at her. she felt chaeryeong nudge her gently and she took a deep breath.

 

she put on a big smile and answered calmly, “i’d like to be yeji, i guess.” yuna then glanced at yeji, who looked pleased by her choice.

 

“why?” the woman questioned, making yuna panic for a second.

 

“she’s a very good dancer and singer, plus she’s really pretty and-” she realized she was starting to ramble so she slowed down and ended with a short ‘yeah.’

 

yuna then masked her nervousness with a her signature grin and tried not to look anyone.

 

“ah, do you envy her maybe?” the host wondered.

 

“hmm, yeah i think so.” she replied, trying to appear nonchalant although her heart was beating a few times quicker.

 

“when you envy someone that usually means you want to be them.” or with them.

 

yuna’s face flashed red and she looked down. she bobbed her head up and down in agreement, wanting to get away from the spotlight.

 

the woman dropped the subject and yuna relaxed. the show went on and yuna kept sneaking glances at yeji, hoping the older girl would look back.

 

yuna caught yeji’s eyes for a second, and the leader furrowed her brows at her, wondering why the maknae was acting like that.

 

the broadcast ended in a blur and they left pretty late at night, at eleven or so. yuna slept peacefully on their way back to the dorm and she was woken by lia’s loud whispering telling her to get up.

 

lia and ryujin said they were tired so they went to sleep first while yeji, yuna and chaeryeong ate noodles for dinner.

 

yuna was uncharacteristically quiet during their dinner and both yeji and chaeryeong kept asking if she was okay. she just nodded and said she was a bit sleepy as an excuse.

 

they cleaned up silently, so not to wake the other girls and went to bed.

 

yuna shared a bunk bed with chaeryeong, she slept on the top bed and chaeryeong on the bottom one.

 

she lay down looking upwards and started to think about things.. more like someone.

 

when that certain someone’s face appeared in her mind she sat up rapidly, banging her head against the ceiling and trying not to shout.

 

she went down and checked if chaeryeong was asleep, heaving a sigh of relief when she saw that she hadn’t even blinked.

 

then yuna went into the living room and plopped down on the sofa, muttering gibberish and sighing in frustration.

 

could she like yeji? like like her? love her? actually love her?

 

“you’re awake.” she heard a familiar voice and leapt up, hitting the lamp beside the sofa.

 

she groaned and glared at the lamp, as if it had done something to her.

 

yeji chuckled in amusement as yuna stood up patting her forehead.

 

“you okay?” the older girl asked worriedly when yuna was standing in front of her.

 

“y-yeah, it was just a little bump.” the maknae shrugged.

 

“i didn’t mean that.” yeji tried to clarify, crossing her arms.

 

“so you don’t care about it then?” yuna demanded teasingly.

 

“i do care!” yeji huffed in annoyance and began to inspect yuna’s head.

 

“why’re you sniffing my head then?”

 

yeji laughed loudly before covering and ruffled yuna’s hair.

 

“you smell good.” she answered honestly.

 

“that’s just weird.” yuna replied bluntly and yeji clutched her chest, as if she’d been hit by a bullet (of yuna’s hurtful words)

 

she was glad it was making the youngest girl smile, but she also wanted to know what had been bothering her.

 

“so, why were you acting so strangely before?”

 

yuna rolled her eyes and punched yeji (not playfully).

 

the older girl whined and rubbed her arm. “stop acting like a kid!” the young visual shook her head incredulously.

 

she was the maknae but at times yeji acted like a baby. scratch that, yeji acted like a little kid all the time.

 

“but seriously, what’s wrong?”

 

“you alright?” “can you answer?”

 

yeji kept pestering yuna with questions and the younger girl headed back to her room running.

 

because i like you. “BECAUSE I LIKE YOU!”

 

she slammed the door shut.

 

and you can’t like me back.
















 

 

surprisingly, none of the other girls had awoken by the loud sounds.

 

yeji was sort of (very very) shocked. she hadn’t been expecting a confession from the young girl.

 

but she wasn’t going to let it ruin their friendship, or the group.

 

girls had crushes, and yuna was still young. she’d get over it.

 

the leader was starting to calm down when she started to think of the consequences.

 

they’d be horrifying. they’d probably lose a lot of popularity, at best. the bashing would be constant.

 

yuna.

 

and what about her? yuna wouldn’t be able to handle it.

 

she knocked lightly on the door and after a few seconds the door opened. yuna looked like she had been crying and yeji pulled her into a hug.

 

“hey. it’s okay.” she whispered soothingly, patting her back.

 

the two girls stayed quiet for some time, before yeji spoke again.

 

“no one else can know.” she said urgently.

 

“i know, i know.” yuna responded, grabbing yeji tighter.

 

“can’t breath.” yeji mumbled and the maknae let go, her lips pulling upwards into a smile.

 

she ran to the sofa, grabbed a pillow and threw it. it landed straight on yeji’s face.

 

the older girl smirked and picked up the pillow from the ground, raising her arms and letting out a light laugh.