Part 1

Tepidity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Soft music from a piano piece, clunk from a cash register, whoosh from a coffee maker and buzz chitchat sounds from the occupied tables. A pretty hectic afternoon for twenty-six years old Yoo Jeongyeon, a cafe owner who is drowns in her business.

 

It fills with grey shades and tinted glass in a small balcony like part with dark furniture, black modern sleek couch with coffee table and a mini kitchen from one side. She just arrived in her office taking her steps towards her desk when her phone ringed.

 

“Hello. Chaeng?”

 

“Hyung, Can I ask for usual?” Jeongyeon chuckles.

 

Every now and then her Bestfriend Son Chaeyoung asks her for a food delivery from her cafe.

 

“You can just texted me for that.” The caller snickers.

 

“I can but you're too busy. Anyway... you'll do it?” Jeongyeon pauses, thinking.

 

“Yeah, give me thirty minutes.”

 

“Okay. Thanks, also hyung, I'm on my rounds, so if you arrived earlier than that just call me.” Jeongyeon hums then the call ended.

 

The two friends met in college, before Chaeyoung went to Med School, when the younger involved in a fight. Since then they treat each other as sisters they see each other from time to time. These are times for when they use to relax from work and same as bonding time with each other.

 

Pristine white halls welcomed Jeongyeon as she walks through the hallway looking around.

 

The ash brown haired girl cannot help but wonder why people struggles to live. If they are sick they go to a doctor, when healed you leave. Why bother paying cash to maintain your body when in the end you will just end up dying?

 

“Hyung!!” Jeongyeon shifts her gaze to the source of voice. A small frame in her formal wear and white with long black straight hair waving at her with a lady beside her who goes inside the room while Chaeyoung went to Jeongyeon.

 

“Chaeng! You didn't tell me you still have one patient. I can just wait in the lobby.” Chaeyoung smiles apolegetically.

 

“It's unexpected. I'm sorry. I'll introduce you to her. She's around your age.” Jeongyeon raises an eyebrow looking at the latter.

 

“Really? Chaeyoung she's your patient.” Chaeyoung chuckles.

 

“Heeey. It's not like I'm setting you in a blind date or something.”

 

Jeongyeon take a deep breath as she stared at her friend, she knows this is one of Chaeyoung's antics for her to meet someone outside from her work.

 

Jeongyeon practically lived in her own cafe, except for their hangout she always buries herself at work. Being an owner is not only her job but she is also an all-around helper that makes her pretty isolated. That makes Chaeyoung always takes her out on double dates or blind dates to relax which is not her thing at all.

 

“Come on hyung, you're no fun. Can you get out of that grayscale life of yours?”

 

“What for? I'm fine with this.” Jeongyeon crosses her arms and looks away.

 

“Aish... Jeongyeon-unnie...” Chaeyoung pouts. “Fine, you can follow me in her room if you want or just stay at the nurse station.” Chaeyoung points at the corner where the nurse station is located which is is pretty far leaving Jeongyeon no other options.

 

In the end Jeongyeon followed Chaeyoung in the room of her patient. They are welcomed with two individuals in the room.

 

Chayeoung introduced Jeongyeon to the two girls. They are Japanese, one sitting in the bed side the other one in the hospital bed, Miyoui Mina with tawny long hair and heart shape face while Hirai Momo her patient in shoulder lenght bob hair and with a charming face in spectacles. They smiled at her and Jeongyeon smiles back.

 

Chaeyoung excused Mina outside with her leaving Jeongyeon with Momo.

 

Jeongyeon is looking by the door when Momo faces her.

 

“Hi!” Momo beams brightly.

 

“Uhh.. Hi?” Jeongyeon utters.

 

Jeongyeon can't believe what Chaeyoung did.

 

Chaeyoung purposly leaves her with this cute girl besides her. Did she just call her cute? She cannot deny it but this is not the time for some fantasies.

 

“Are you bored?” Jeongyeon asks

 

“Nope, are you?” Momo asks.

 

Jeongyeon is taken back by Momo's question, she did admit that she's pretty bored herself but no one can be this illegally cute when asking a question, it makes her feel guilty for being bored in the other girl's presence.

 

“I'm sorry, you said what?” Jeongyeon asks earning confuse look from the latter.

 

“I asked if you are bored.” Momo says making Jeongyeon chuckles. “Maybe, I am..” Jeongyeon admits making them both quiet.

 

“You know, you're pretty cute for a person in that hospital bed.” Jeongyeon says softly.

 

“Thank you” Momo giggles at her.

 

Jeongyeon cannot withdraw her emotion, the alluring laugh Momo did is good match for her charming face and her bright smile that makes her feels tons of emotion that she did not expect.

 

Unable to handle the atmosphere, Jeongyeon heaves a sigh and excuses herself.

Outside of Momo's room Doctor Chaeyoung is having a talk to Momo's friends about her condition.

 

“So. Momo will be okay?” Mina asks “We can say that but Hirai-ssi needs to stay here for few days for us to monitor her condition.” Chaeyoung replies

 

Chaeyoung pats Mina “Miyoui-ssi, It will be alright.” She says earning a pout from her the latter. “Let ME, Doctor Son do my duty, you can go to your place to get her some clo--thes...”

 

Sheeeesh of sliding door open interrupted them revealing Jeongyeon, she looked at them then proceed walking quietly towards nurse station making Mina looks confused and Chaeyoung smirked.

 

Hospital grounds, the two friends are now having their so called NoJamBros time after Chaeyoung dismissed Momo's friend. While eating Chaeyoung pops out the question.

 

“So hyung? How was Momo-unnie?” Jeogyeon chokes her drink then gazes at her. “Seriously, Chaeyoung?” She choughs. “You are setting me up to your patient.” Chaeyoung laughed.

 

“Why? I just asked about her and nothing is wrong with that.” Chaeyoung explains still laughing at her unnie earning a squinting eyes and frown from the older.

 

“Okay, she's weird” Jeongyeon mutters.

 

“Only weird?” Chaeyoung asks then sipping her drink.

 

Jeongyeon scoffs while Chaeyoung smirking at her. “Yes, only weird.”

 

The truth is Chaeyoung caught a glimpse of Jeongyeon a bit flushed face earlier that she wanted to . For few years she known the latter, Chaeyoung saw lots of Jeongyeon's side such as happy, grumpy, sad, dazed and mostly emotionless. But not this time, Jeongyeon's flushed face is new to her.

 

Chaeyoung hums “For the first time unnie, you said different first impression instead of boring or interesting.”

 

“Nahh..” Jeongyeon snickers. “You too seems close, who is she really?”

 

With that Chaeyoung narrows her eyes then grins at Jeongyeon, earning straight face from the older while she proceeds on eating her sandwich ignoring her.

 

“Okay, okay. Geez.. Momo-unnie is my sunbae at med school before.” she paused “Due to her health issues we became classmates in some subjects for short time, soon I found out she stopped taking classes. We just met recently when I get assigned as her personal doctor.” Chaeyoung finishes looking down.

 

Jeongyeon can sense sadness from Chaeyoung's tone.

 

Who are you really Hirai Momo?

 

CHAEYOUNG is shocked.

 

It is a few days after their last meeting but here she is in Momo's room with Momo and Mina, she is typing the girls' orders to Jeongyeon on her usual way while the two girls are eagerly waiting from the response.

 

“Unnies....” Chaeyoung pouted. “You should have asked for Jeongyeon-unnie's no. If you want to have feast here in the room.” She whines “And her cafe didn't do delieveries, it's exclusive for me, her NoJamSis.” she says proudly while Mina and Momo are laughing at her.

 

“Too late, you already did it anyway.” Momo says sticking her tounge out teasing the doctor making Chaeyoung pouts.

 

“Then take us there next time.” Mina says nonchalantly while Momo flash her thriaumph grin.

 

“Unnies...” Chaeyoung helplessly says.

 

The doctor is lost; Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung both agreed that they won't involve themselves in each of their work. More likely on Jeongyeon's work, she doesnot really want getting involved much on people since the first time she met her. In which the doctor respects.

 

The girls seem determined and starts throwing aegyo at her determined to make the doctor agrees.

 

Chaeyoung close her eyes, clenching her jaw then took a deep sighs.

 

'I'm sorry Hyung... Maybe it's time...'

 

“Okay next time... After Momo-unnie got discharged.” Momo did a victory poses while Mina and Chaeyoung laughed at them.

 

The doctor met Mina before when Momo asked Chaeyoung to go the ballerian's recital. Later on they became good friends, she talks formal to her regarding Momo's condition around hospital vicinities but when two of them are either in Momo's room or outside they talk casually as friends.

 

Crowded, that is the word for Jeongyeon's situation right now, she can't blame it though. It is around one in the afternoon and most of the people are either visiting or bringing lunch to their sick relatives or friends. She is in the elevator right now, on her way to Chaeyoung bringing her asked meals.

 

Jeongyeon sent a message to Chaeyoung notifying she's now within the area.

 

 

 

From: Smol

 

Hyung, I'm in Momo-unnie's room, go straight there and don't bother to knock just open the door.

 

 

 

It was awkward, as Jeongyeon opened the door of the said room, Momo on her bed blushing while Mina and Chaeyoung are beside her like showing her something, they all stop and stared at her.

 

“Uhh.. Doc. Son's Delivery?”

 

Four girls settled in the room to have their little feast, eating quietly in the mini table while sitting at the couch minding their own business, when Jeongyeon decided to break the ice.

 

“At first I really found it weird for Chaeyoung asking big food proportions when she does have a small appetite.” Jeongyeon says making them laugh. “I thought it was for her colleagues but I more surprised it was for you girls.” she added.

 

“You all just have bigger appetite.” Chaeyoung snorts while does nose scrunches cutely.

 

Momo instantly puts her arm around the smol cub “Awww... Baby cub is so cute!” She pokes Chaeyoung's cheeks.

 

“Hey! That's my cub!” Mina quickly separates Chaeyoung away from Momo as both of them blushed while the latter rolled eyes on them.

 

“Just date already...” Momo chuckles.

 

Jeongyeon laughs as she sees a new side of her friend, the playgirl doctor malfunction in front of her by a single touch. She turns at Momo who is laughing gleefully, they both stops and smiles at each other but looks away in a blink.

 

Jeongyeon did not know herself how did it happen, she looked at Momo for a while but she herself is confused on what she is feeling. The ash brown girl did admit she already misses that bright smile the girl had moments ago.

 

Cut it out Jeongyeon, you can't like the person you just met.

 

WORK IS ONE OF THE BEST MEDECINE when trying to take your mind off from something. In Jeongyeon's case it is not working, she tries to burried herself in her work at the cafe these past days, to take her mind off from thinking about the weird girl but it backfired at her.

 

Right now Jeongyeon is on her office's couch with her cold. “Jeongyeonie here are your medicines.” The familair Japanese lady says while helps her to sit upright as she takes her meds.

 

Jeongyeon keeps staring on Momo, while she take care of her. She's not dreaming, right? Momo without her glasses brings extra effect on her. Especially that she's now tending her.

 

“Thank you, Momo... Ugh...” Jeongyeon replies still groaning from her dizzyness. “Tell my manager, I'll just rest a bit then I can help later.”

 

Momo shush her “Jeongyeonie, Rest. It's okay Mina and I can help.” she says, Mina and Chaeyoung both signaling thumbs up from her behind.

 

Momo just got discharge from the hospital and Chaeyoung promised to treat them in Jeongyeon's cafe. The cub planned to surprised Jeongyeon by not telling her that they would visit. By the time they got there, Jeongyeon's manager who knew her told them about her conditon and lead them to her office.

 

“Let Chaeyoung work, it was her who drag you girls here.” Jeaongyeon says to the two girls, making them laugh.

 

“Hyung... It's supposed to be my free time, So it's a paid service.” Chaeyoung whines while Mina patting her head. “Shh.. I'll just pay you later. You just wait.” Mina says nonchalantly.

 

Momo and Jeongyeon widen their eyes looking at both of them while Mina flushed as she realized what she said, quickly excused herself leaving Chaeyoung stiffed at her spot.

 

“Eerr... Seriously, you should rest. Especially, when you had a cute nurse, who's going to take care of you here.” Chaeyoung whispers playfuly beside her ear, winks at her then leaves right away.

 

Jeongyeon blush “Psh..” she utters “Momo... I'm gonna sleep now...” she says softly, “Okay, I'll just be here when you need me.” Momo smiles as she sitts beside her.

 

Worry, Jeongyeon is not used to other worrying at her like these. She grown up from an orphanage where there are tons of kids out there, some of them did not got much attention and she is one of those.

 

Next day, Jeongyeon wake up feeling a lot better, next thing she knew was the weight around her hand holding her. She shifts her gaze and there she saw, Momo covered with her jacket sleeping in her office armchair leaning on the backrest with her right hand holding hers

 

Jeongyeon gulped, cannot believed what she's seeing, Momo the girl she recently met stayed all night to take care of her. It is not like she is complaining about it but she just not used to this, someone taking care of her.

 

Carefully, she removes Momo's hand on hers, slowly shifting herself to get up, quietly folding the sheets, afraid to wake up the sleeping racoon beside her.

 

“Hmm... Jeongyeon...” she mumbles.

 

The korean stopped and looked at her nervously, Momo just shifts herself from leaning at the back rest to hanging her head low. Jeongyeon smiles at her as she gently caress the japanese's head. “Thank you” she says as she kisses her.

 

Taking a break from her desk work, Jeongyeon gaze out in a small balcony like in her office where she observes her cafe in full view. While observing her phone ringed.

 

“Hyung!” The caller says enthusiasitcally. “Chaeyoung, you called?”

 

“Are you okay now?” Chaeyoung asks in worry making Jeongyeon hums.

 

“Yes, I'm okay now.” Jeongyeon replies reassuring the younger.

 

“Hyung, teehee...” Chaeyoung faked a cough, making Jeongyeon frown it looks like she knows what the younger is up too “How was your sick moment yesterday?”

 

Jeongyeon hiss “I was asleep how am I supposed to know.”

 

Chaeyoung scoffs “Really?” she laughed “What time did she go home? right after you wake up or you paid her first with a good morning breakfast..”  Jeongyeon can imagine that the younger wiggle her eyebrows grinning while saying that.

 

“Chaeng...” Jeongyeon frown and massages her forehead “I let her eat first of course.” The smol cub laughs at her.

 

Actually, Momo woke up right after she's done with her routine, they ate breakfast first at the cafe shop itself then drove her home.

 

“Hyung, I also have a gift for you. Bye.” Chaeyoung says and aburptly dropped the call. Jeongyon feels confused and nervous at the same time, but she puts her phone besides her papers and continues on working on her desk, where it blinked.

 

 

 

From: Smol

 

Since you are sick yesterday, I documented the happenings for you. I'm off to lunch date.. You can thank me later.

 

 

 

Jeongyeon can totally feel her cheeks burn, smile formed in her lips as she stare at Chaeyoung's message revealing a number of photos of Momo and hers.

 

Jeongyeon stared at their photos. Most of it was her staring intensely at Momo but one caught her attention the most. When she was feeding Momo they are smiling at each other.

 

Jeongyeon widened her eyes as she read Chaeyoung's caption on that photo. “Jeongyeon-unnie.. Just admit it already, Look at the smile she brought you. You like her.”

 

Jeongyeon snickers. “Chaeng... Yeah.. maybe you are right.”

 

I really do like her.

 

JEONGYEON IS SMILING PROUDLY as she looks at her work. Three different kind of dishes laied in front of the owner right now, a BLT sandwich, Egg benedict, Citrus cream pie. Right now the owner is testing new recipes to put up in the menu that rotates every week. She is about to bring the tray when her phone ringed.

 

 

 

From: Moguri

 

Are you free? Classes is done so can I stay over there for a few hours. I want to UNWIND.

 

 

 

Jeongyeon chuckles at the youngers message, she can even hear Momo's whining. She waste no time, reply fast as she can, even suggested for her to have taste testing when the younger arrived.

 

Since they exchange numbers they chat a lot making them closer. Momo have light schedule of classes that makes her always hangout at Jeongyeon's cafe to ease her boredom or work on her studies while her roommate Mina is in her work.

 

It was afternoon and the people are few, taking the opportunity to idle crew, Jeongyeon made her way to show her crew the new dishes she worked on asking some suggestions and thoughts about it. Her crew liked new dishes but all those comments is not enough for her, thoughts is been interrupted by her phone.

 

 

 

From: Moguri

 

Jeongyeonnie... My classmates are with me, I apologize if they make a mess. Ugh... We're on our way tho

 

 

 

Jeongyeon tidy her looks, her schedule today is going to help the crew in serving dishes and it makes her excited. After all she is not stuck in her desk work where she will have little opportunity to glance at Momo, now she can roam around the tables where she can glimpse at the younger in close distance.

 

The owner put on her waitress uniform, to observe the customers as the crew and hide her identity as the boss, where she can see through people the most.

 

Not long after her cafe door opens and Jeongyeon got breathless, Momo in her black crop top showing her midrift with a black coat paired in her denim ripped jeans and white sneakers. Jeongyeon admits it, Momo is hot and now she looks hotter. 

 

Then seconds later Jeongyeon's eyes is poisoned, displeased at the next scenes she saw. Momo entered with this guy with his arm around her, good thing the ostrich is busy talking to customers that she can maintain her usual cool.

 

Tsk. Stop getting worked up.

 

Being cold outside, Jeongyeon is burning with jealousy inside, she keeps on taking glances at Momo's table where her and her classmates seated. It makes her ticked that everytime Momo breathed or want something that guy always tend at her needs.

 

“Stop being obvious kid.” Jeongyeon mutters to herself still looking at the displeased sight.

 

To distract herself, Jeongyeon proceed on her work from being the service waiter, the waves is on her favor when the cafe slowly got crowded. It helps her to cool down and work double.

 

Momo and her classmates already leave that makes Jeongyeon take her time outside, she rested at the alley taking some fresh air.

 

“Thank you Noona...” Jeongyeon hears then turns around looking for the source of the voice.

 

There she saw the guy who is getting on her nerves earlier hugging Momo while the japanese taps the guy behind.

 

Jeongyeon brace herself, clecnhed her jaw, close her eyes and take deep breath as she calmed.

 

Instead of leaving, Jeongyeon waits anticipating what will happened next, much to the korean's delight the

Please log in to read the full chapter