01.

Last Dive

 

   Jungkook knew that Taehyung was fragile; it's written all over his actions and gestures, but he never knew that he was already cracked at the edges, waiting for that one touch to break him into tiny pieces.

   And Jungkook never expected to be that touch.

   When he asked him to go scuba diving together, the raven-haired boy had eagerly accepted, saying that he had been wanting to do that since high school. He was confused; Taehyung rarely got excited over anything that involved extreme activities but as the guy in front of him talked about the things they would do during the trip, he shoved all the thoughts to the back of his mind and got himself lost in Taehyung's voice.

   Jungkook remembered Taehyung being so quiet during the train ride and when he asked what's bothering him, the latter just shrugged and said that he was just tired. He didn't missed the way Taehyung's eyes flickered as he looked out the window and took in the sight of the countryside, as if he was desperately trying to remember every detail of the things he saw. But instead of trying to make the other talk, he leaned back against the seat and focused on the white noises of footsteps echoing down the carriage, fingers tapping the armrest at a random rhythm and the distant soundtrack of a movie playing on the television before drifting off to sleep.

   Jungkook only saw Taehyung smiled when they were about to dive into the ocean. Complete with their swimsuits and diving gears, Jungkook turned to him and they made an eye contact. That was when Taehyung gave him that smile — the one where his eyes disappeared into crescent moons and his lips stretched into a square shape. He would have thought that he was only happy to finally achieve one of his dreams if his eyes didn't gave it away. It reflected sorrow and yearning as if he didn't want the moment to end. But before Jungkook can mutter any word, Taehyung had already dived in, with his empty tank.

   It took them almost a month to find his body and when they did, it was washed ashore; his face and body bloated and gave off a sour stench. That cold hand he touched that day was the same one that held his when they walked around town on a saturday evening. The chest that had once been loud and warm from his beating heart was silent. The broad back that had once been decorated with nail marks was bony and sticky. The lips that had once trailed his body with kisses was slightly parted and blue-ish.

   Jungkook held his breath.

   Passer-bys had started to surround him as he started to feel numb from the intense pain spreading throughout his body. He might have broken one too many bones from the fall but that's fine.

   He's going to meet Taehyung soon.

   The wails of sirens sounded far away as his vision became blurry and dark at the edges. The murmurs were too loud and he felt a hand grasping his but it was too cold.

   Just like Taehyung's.

   He closed his eyes and reminiscenced their first date. Coffee spilled on white shirt, Taehyung panicking and desperately wiped the dark stain with some tissues while he laughed and insisted that he's fine. He remembered telling him the joke he heard from Jimin during biology and smiled fondly at the boy as he laughed happily. Jungkook remembered the way their hands fit perfectly with each other when he entertwined their fingers, like two puzzle pieces as he kissed Taehyung under the watch of the moon and stars.

   He smiled as he let the pain washed over him, taking control of his body and pushed the air out of him. He sharply inhaled with a gasp.

   But never exhaled.