Two.

Half a Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What is it?" Wendy asks, voice still thick from sleep, walking quietly to where her members have gathered in the living room.

"No time to explain. Come here and watch." Seulgi fusses, crouched from the floor.

Wendy carefully makes her way between Joohyun and Joy.

She looks at the tv screen just in time for the morning's latest headline. "Crown Prince issues Royal Order: All single men and women of ages 20-29 must be married by the end of the month. The law takes effect immediate today..."

Wendy doesn't hear the rest of it because her members have reacted all at once.

"I'm confused..." Joy says scowling. 

"I'm getting married???" Seulgi says in an uncharacteristically high-pitched voice.

"I'm exempted!" Yeri jumps up happily.

Wendy stares at Joohyun who is awfully quiet. She surmises their leader already knew. "No one would want to marry me," Wendy says, quietly.

"That's not true," Joy protests, "I know two idols who are admirers of yours!"

"Who are they? Tell us, Joy!" Yeri asks excitedly.

"No matter." Joohyun cuts in, shaking her head. "SM already found a suitable match for her," She pauses just slightly and says, "according to Junmyeon."

"Why? Can't I choose my own husband?" Wendy asks, disappointedly.

Like every idol under SM, Wendy has firsthand experience of how manipulative her company could be, but this is overbearing, even for them.

"It's because you're single, they'd rather manage your wedding for you." Joohyun replies, looking apologetic.->explain how eady it would be for SM presrnt names (brides &grooms)

"Isn't Seulgi unnie single too?" Yeri asks.

"She's not." Joohyun declares.

They all look at Seulgi who is not meeting their eyes.

"Yes, I'm not," she admits, looking guilty. 

"Who is your boyfriend, unnie?!" implore the maknaes at the same time. 

Before she can hear Seulgi's response, Joohyun grabs Wendy by the elbow and leads her into her room.

~

Wendy arrives quietly at the conference room, her manager trailing behind her. She ceremoniously bows to the people present in the room: two SM executives, EXO's manager, and Kyungsoo. He doesn't look up from where he's seated.

Wendy slides into the chair opposite Kyungsoo. 

She doesn't quite know if she feels humiliated by the fact that she's the only member who has to go through this, or the fact that somehow SM manages to pick out the last man she wants to marry.

~

"It's a pretty lethal crush," Joohyun had revealed to Seulgi when they both found her moping in her bed, face buried in her pillow, and one hand clutching her mobile phone.

Joohyun knew what this was all about. Dating rumours of Kyungsoo with another idol had just come out. 

"How do you even know it's true? You know how netizens have too much time in their hands and they always conjure stories out of practically nothing." Seulgi explained, half-trying to console her and half-trying not to laugh at her misery.

"She's right, Wendy." Irene agreed, brushing Wendy's long hair out the side of her face. "Besides, I already knew you would have this reaction, so I asked Junmyeon about it, and he said no it's not true. Your oppa is single."

Wendy finally her back this time, putting on the fakest dramatic sob she could muster, much for the amusement of her closest buddies. The two older girls playfully hit her with her pillows, both none the wiser by the unexpected hurt she felt inside.

~

"So, let's make this quick," Mr. Kwon begins, bringing Wendy back to the present time. Mr. Kwon is the Head Manager of SM's Public Relations Department.  "Wendy and Kyungsoo, the board has agreed to your match."

Match? How did this even happen?

"Kyungsoo, you will have to propose to her. Just for fomality's sake. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter